News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

"phantom of the opera" song in movie

"phantom of the opera" song in movie

doremi2
#0"phantom of the opera" song in movie
Posted: 7/11/05 at 3:37pm

Did anyone realize that the end of this song was transposed a step lower for Emmy Rossum at the end of the song? (when the Phantom says "sing my angel of music!" and Christine just sings without words) I noticed it the first time I saw the movie, but I was just reminded once again. Does anyone know why -- was it because they wanted it that way or Emmy couldn't sing the high C and E? Sorry if this has already been posted, I just think it's interesting.

LilMiZBroADwaY23
#1re: 'phantom of the opera' song in movie
Posted: 7/11/05 at 4:23pm

They've transposed it before as I have heard on a German recordings. I don't really thing it's that rare because obviously a High E is very, very, difficult to sing. I highly doubt Emmy could it hit it well. She probably could be probably not that well. For instance I can hit it, but does it sound pretty? Nope, and I've been privately and classically trained for eight years.

Like I said, it's a very difficult note and if the right person doesn't sing it, it sounds just like a screech unlike Sarah Brightman's awesome high E.

freelancer Profile Photo
freelancer
#2re: 'phantom of the opera' song in movie
Posted: 7/11/05 at 4:33pm

They left out a verse in the middle ("In all your fantasies, you always, that man and mystery were both in you) and one of the Ah modulations at the end, so that's two steps lower without transposing the entire song.

"I'm gonna jump straight up, kick a hole in the moon. Don't know exactly where I'm going, but I'm know I'm gonna get there soon." - Jerry Lukowski (Patrick Wilson) in "The Full Monty"

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#3re: 'phantom of the opera' song in movie
Posted: 7/11/05 at 6:21pm

The song wasn't transposed a whole step lower, just a half-step. So Rossum's version ends with a high E flat/D sharp, not with an E natural like Brightman's.

PleaseChangeMe
#4re: 'phantom of the opera' song in movie
Posted: 7/11/05 at 6:29pm

Brightman sounds like she's screaming more than singing the note on the OBC anyway.

EganFan2
#5re: 'phantom of the opera' song in movie
Posted: 7/11/05 at 6:30pm

And even then it sounds like it's digitally enhanced.

sassypanz
#6re: 'phantom of the opera' song in movie
Posted: 7/11/05 at 7:55pm

Neither Rossum or Brightman can sing at all!!

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#7re: 'phantom of the opera' song in movie
Posted: 7/11/05 at 7:56pm

Or Hanson..or Joseph. Although the former has been argued..

This is my signature.

Joshua488
#8re: 'phantom of the opera' song in movie
Posted: 7/11/05 at 9:00pm

Sandra Joseph is bad.

phantom_tenor Profile Photo
phantom_tenor
#9re: 'phantom of the opera' song in movie
Posted: 7/11/05 at 10:43pm

guys, it's called a semitone, not a half step.

#10re: 'phantom of the opera' song in movie
Posted: 7/11/05 at 10:45pm

Not surprised... Emmy was awful in the movie and she didn't deserve the role. There are much more talented people that are capable of singing POTO better than her and actually in the right key.

Urban
#11re: 'phantom of the opera' song in movie
Posted: 7/12/05 at 4:40am

Emmy may not be the best singer, but compared to the horror that was Gerald Butler, Emmy was practically Streisand.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#12re: 'phantom of the opera' song in movie
Posted: 7/12/05 at 7:18am

The only thing I liked about the movie was the performance of Miranda Richardson as Giry - she sang all her own stuff and was just about the only person in the movie to use a French accent, which makes her the most professional of the cast members. Minnie Driver has some funny moments, but overall, this movie was a huge bomb for me. Not only is it Andrew Lloyd Webber (can you say "yuck"?) but most of the cast couldn't even sing!

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

Jon
#13re: 'phantom of the opera' song in movie
Posted: 7/12/05 at 9:10am

Why should they have French accents? They are French people speaking French.

When you do "A Little Night Music", do you use a Swedish accent? When you do "Romeo and Juliet", do you use an Italian accent?

For that matter, why the hell do the Thernardiers have Cockney accents on the OCR of Les miz?

Beergoggles
#14re: 'phantom of the opera' song in movie
Posted: 7/12/05 at 9:15am

good point... i've never understood the cockney accent thing? Especially when Eponine has a really over the top one... mentioning no names but when we listened to it we just cried with laughter the girl was so bad.

Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!

EganFan2
#15re: 'phantom of the opera' song in movie
Posted: 7/12/05 at 10:01am

>>>>Emmy may not be the best singer, but compared to the horror that was Gerald Butler, Emmy was practically Streisand.

See, I don't get that. To me, both Emmy and GeraRd seemed to be on the same level singing wise. Though I would rather listen to him over her any day. She was not better than he was, IMO, and yet people trash him within an inch of his life. If you say he can't reach notes, listen to Emmy.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#16re: 'phantom of the opera' song in movie
Posted: 7/12/05 at 10:28am

My point is that if someone in a show has an accent - EVERYONE in the show should, if the characters are mainly all european or what-have-you. What would be wrong with everyone in Night Music having a Swedish accent? Not a thing.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#17re: 'phantom of the opera' song in movie
Posted: 7/12/05 at 10:58am

>>>>guys, it's called a semitone, not a half step.

Semitone, half-step, same difference: both mean the smallest interval in the Western tonal system.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#18re: 'phantom of the opera' song in movie
Posted: 7/12/05 at 11:02am

"Emmy may not be the best singer, but compared to the horror that was Gerald Butler, Emmy was practically Streisand."

But compared to Emmy and Gerard, Minnie was Streisand.

doremi2
#19re: 'phantom of the opera' song in movie
Posted: 7/12/05 at 1:10pm

Yeah, but people seem to have a blindspot in really listening to Emmy...or thaht's how it seems to me. haha. I have two friends who are obsessed with her and refuse to listen to other recordings of POTO...they're missing out. But I've heard "But she was only 16 when she filmed the movie, she has a good voice for being so young," but in that case, they should have gotten someone older with a good voice.

I know it's been discussed before, it's just been driving me crazy.

(and sorry...i meant half-step in the original post, but typed just one step for some reason)

ChristineDaae Profile Photo
ChristineDaae
#20re: 'phantom of the opera' song in movie
Posted: 7/12/05 at 5:18pm

How come "And in this labyrinth where night is..." isn't in the title song in the movie?

"Life will be frozen peaches and cream. Baby, dream Your Dream" ~ SC

EganFan2
#21re: 'phantom of the opera' song in movie
Posted: 7/12/05 at 5:30pm

Because then Emmy would have had to sing the cadenza at the end in the original key.

Videos