pixeltracker

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers Info

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers Info

ProducerJeff Profile Photo
ProducerJeff
#0Seven Brides for Seven Brothers Info
Posted: 7/21/05 at 2:13pm

There is a possibility a community theatre group that I work with will be doing Seven Brides for Seven Brothers....what are your thoughts on this show? I am not overly familiar with it and am wondering if it is a show that even has any appeal to the public....any insights you have would be appreciated.

THANKS!

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#1re: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers Info
Posted: 7/21/05 at 2:20pm

I did the show in high school and had a lot of fun with it. I actually like the new songs written for the stage production. Obviously, the whole show hinges on the choreography, so hopefully you have some great dancers.

Some modern audiences might find the story line a little politically incorrect, but I think the public, by and large, enjoys the show a lot. I'm pretty sure the recent production at Goodspeed was a big hit.

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#2re: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers Info
Posted: 7/21/05 at 2:31pm

It's corny and un-PC, making it VERY fun if it's played the right way. It's no brilliant piece of theatre, but it's very fun. Don't go in expecting beauty and depth, becasue sorry, you won't find it here. To stereotype - it falls into the category of what I call "Hick Shows." Our choreographer and pit band weren't great, but things came together and it was a decent enough success at my high school. A Lot depends on the cast, the morale and direction.

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Updated On: 7/21/05 at 02:31 PM

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#3re: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers Info
Posted: 7/21/05 at 3:52pm

I played Gideon in this several years ago and while I loved playing the part I always felt that the show never came close to the level of the film. While some of the new songs for the stage are good I still longed for some of the film songs that were cut. You must have 6 very strong male dancers and 6 very strong female dancers and a helluva choreographer to boot. You can't pull this show off with weak dancing or choreography.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

jmnpublications
#4re: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers Info
Posted: 7/21/05 at 5:57pm

My review of Goodspeed's recent production:

https://boston.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=3572

jmn

roquat
#5re: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers Info
Posted: 7/22/05 at 12:46am

The new songs written for the stage version are hideous, "Broadway" in the worst sense--they also changed the range of the leading lady from a pretty lyric soprano to a lyrical--belter (Debby Boone was cast originally) which makes no sense and coarsens the story. And it is VERY dated now, much more so than the film--the leading man sings songs with titles like "Bless Yore Beautiful Hide" and "A Woman Oughtta Know Her Place" (twice!) and tries to slug his new wife at one point. Gloria Steinem would die if she had to sit through this. I did a five-month tour of this thing and the cast choked on the corny songs and folksy "humor" every night.

I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."

roquat
#6re: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers Info
Posted: 7/22/05 at 12:59am

I should also mention that the songwriters for this also wrote "Li'l Abner." Enough said.

I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."

jefflang007
#7re: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers Info
Posted: 7/22/05 at 3:07am

my comments are almost exactly the same as Wonderboy's (even the gideon bit) except I love the movie just as much as the stage version. Yes don't bother if the cast is week.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#8re: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers Info
Posted: 7/22/05 at 3:33am

I agree that the show is completely dependent on the choreography and dancing; they have some GREAT GREAT dance numbers that are real big showstoppers. The rest of the music is, yeah, corny but fun, and the show is most DEFINITELY sexist and dated.

But hey, I love seeing boys dance :0)

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

ProducerJeff Profile Photo
ProducerJeff
#9re: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers Info
Posted: 7/22/05 at 3:52pm

Thank you for your input..... I appreciate those who took time to respond!

Videos