pixeltracker

Has anyone seen Chicago lately? It's incredible!

Has anyone seen Chicago lately? It's incredible!

Parks
#0Has anyone seen Chicago lately? It's incredible!
Posted: 7/30/05 at 3:11pm

My god, what an impressive cast! SO talented!

I'm listening to my cast recording right now for the first time and I saw Luba (isn't that her name?) and Charlotte. They were both AMAZING. I'm not a fan of Ann on the cast recording...her voice sounds kind of raspy.

What was funny was that it seemed like the "ensemble" members stole the show. There wasn't a single person I didn't like in the show.

I was surprised at how much I liked it-with almost no set and costumes.. the performers were just so amazing. There was so much energy, more than I've ever seen in any other show.

This was the biggest surprise-for a good show. Has anyone seen Chicago lately? It's incredible!

How do you feel about the current cast?

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA
Updated On: 7/30/05 at 03:11 PM

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#1re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 3:17pm

I have to get myself over there, but unfortunately I haven't had the time or the money re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#2re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 3:28pm

I saw it last Sunday and I was wowed by the show too. The last time I saw it was when I was 17 (22 now) and I was slightly nonplussed by it all. I was so not in its xzone that i haven't yet bothered to watch the movie. I went to see it last week because I'm trying to see as much of Broadway as possible. Well, am I glad I went?! Charlotte D'Amboise was amazing. Hysterically funny, with great physical comedy and a true triple threat. Luba Mason was good too. Mary Testa was DIVINE as Mama and she had me in the palm of her hand all evening. It's an amazing cast and orchestra. This was the first show where people stayed sat down to listen to the orchestra playout and gave a true round of applause at the end, rather than treating is as audience exit music. It is a SUPERB show!

"Jane, I've been dealt a blow - I've been dealt a blow, Jane."

Parks
#3re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 3:30pm

Wait, did you see it on the 24th? 6:30? That's when I saw it re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#4re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 3:34pm

No way! I was sat Front Mezz. Next to a guy who had a bad knee and had to keep moving it so it didn't lock. I felt bad for him but it was intensely irritating but I kept it cool because he couldn't help it and he did apologise in advance. He left halfway through through Act 1 because his leg was so bad. Bless him.

Where were you sat?

Parks
#5re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 3:40pm

Front row. re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?

Quite nice sitting front row at 3 shows...haha, how snobby of me to say.

I thought the seats were 2nd row...because that's what it said on Telecharge.com...it was a pleasant surprise. re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?

I was laughing my arse off at Mary when she said "DON'T LAUGH" in When You're Good To Mama. She understands how it's kinda strange sitting front row..haha. Believe it or not, it was pretty awesome sitting front row.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#6re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 3:44pm

Mary Testa is God.

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#7re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 3:45pm

Wow, the first time I saw it I was in the front row! Back in like '87 or whenever it was (feels that long ago, was actually 2001). Did you buy premium seats for the shows u were in front row for? I LOVE front row. I like to be spat on.

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#8re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 3:52pm

I am feeling ancient right now. I saw the ORIGINAL back in 1975 and was dazzled. I was less thrilled by the revival when it first opened (I thought it was 'Chicago'-lite) but you guys have given me a new reason to see it. Besides, my partner has never seen it so he's long overdue. So I think I'll put in my teeth, get in my wheelchair and wheel over to the Ambassador and see 'Chicago' again.

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

Parks
#9re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 3:56pm

No, I guess I was the first to buy tickets...they weren't premium. I thought they'd either have premium tickets or a lottery...guess now :-p

See it soon! Brooke Shields in coming in September...and I don't know how she is as Roxie. Charlotte is amazing! Lupa is breathtaking! re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#10re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 4:06pm

Don't worry about feeling old. I was in a bar last night and there was some guy next to me introducing his friend to someone. The friend was 19. I felt old. I was momentarily upset and then got over it. My parents were 20 in 1975. That's a long time ago. But yeah, you should see this again, I think Charlotte is amazing and really sells it. Your partner will love it. Get in your wheelchairs both and got on over there. If you need help, Parks and I will push.

Brooke is in London's Chicago right now and excellent by all accounts. You should be excited.

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#11re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 4:35pm

Hahaha. My bf would definitely take you up on that offer jczelyph if you're as handsome as Parks. It's nice that shows like this are appealing to many generations. And I don't feel SO bad anymore, I'm 2 years younger than your parents (and since when do 19 year olds get into bars?)

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#12re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 4:43pm

well, i'm 22. but a lot of places will let u in if you're 18 you're just not allowed to drink. when i came here the first time, i went to new orleans and was under 21 so they put a stamp on my head and hands saying under 21. it was shameful.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#13re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 4:47pm

I haven't seen Chicago in about two years (I believe Caroline O'Connor was in it the last time I went), but Charlotte and Mary on stage together might just get me back there...re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#15re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 4:50pm

I can't imagine Chris Sieber dancing in the Chicago ensemble

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#16re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 4:58pm

jczelyph -- you're 22 and feeling old? Let me get out my cane! I have the big 27 looming over me.

So that I'm on topic -- I haven't seen this production of Chicago since the Bebe Neuwirth days (not even in any of the tours) -- sounds like I should make a return trip sometime soon.

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#17re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 5:01pm

22 isn't that old, I just felt old when faced with a perky 19 year old in a club. This was The Monster by the way, last night, and I get the impression that they don't have the stricted ID policy cos this boy was kinda hammered. But still H-O-T hot.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#18re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 5:11pm

Yes, The Monster can be rather lax in age enforcement.

Oh, and I like "Chicago." re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
(still staying on topic!)

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#19re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 6:00pm

It was rubbish last night. Full of old men. Like REALLY old. Grandparent age. Which is fine, i'm ont saying they can't go to bars, but when you go to a bar looking for a cutie and you're presented with people WAY out of your age range, it is upsetting. Unless you're a hustler, and then you're made for the evening. One poor old man was very drunk and kept unzipping and demonstrating his 'area' to the bar. It was sad and gross, hysterical and heartwarming all at the same time. Heartwarming because I can only pray I have that audacity when I am in my 70's.

I like Chicago.

BwayTheatre11
#20re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 6:05pm

MEF, I believe Carol Woods has taken over for Mary Testa.

I saw the tour back in March with Carol Woods, Tom Wopat, Terra MacLeod and Bianca Marroquin and just loved the show. The talent and simplicity is wonderful. When I learned the tour would make a quick stop in Cleveland, I had to buy a ticket. I quess Brenda Braxton is coming back to the tour...can't wait to see her.

CCM '10!

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#21re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 6:07pm

Mary Testa has left??? That's sick and wrong.

Joshua488
#22re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 6:14pm

Yes, I just recently saw the production with Charlotte d'Amboise, Luba Mason and Mary Testa. It was excellent!

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#23re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 7:45pm

I guess after "Trolls" closed, they had to go somewhere. re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?

Last time I was there, I found it to be a whoopee spot where the gin was cold and the piano was hot.

FosseBoi
#24re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 7:53pm

I saw it a few weeks ago and thought the same thing! I LOVWE LOVE LOVE Charlotte!!!!! Luba was good, but her dancwing had NO energy. Still enjoyable though!re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately? Glad you had such a good time!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

Parks
#25re: Has anyone seen Chicago lately?
Posted: 7/30/05 at 8:20pm

I said her name was "LUPA" in an earlier post. I was so excited about Chicago that I totally didn't even get her name right!

You all think you're old?! I'm over 15 1/2!!

God, my voice is sounding deeper! What next?! PUBERTY?!

(OK, my voice changed about 2 years ago...it was just a joke).

Videos