Ok, Grease!!

Broadway fan2
#0Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/7/05 at 10:52pm

Love it? Hate it!!? and if you love it, what is your Fave song from it?

I loved it... My fave song is a toughy though.

SongNDanceman2402
#1re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/7/05 at 10:56pm

i like Grease a lot, but i don't love it. i like the broadway version a lot better than the movie though. The movie was TOTALLY centered around danny and sandy and i know thats the whole story, but the broadway version brought the rest of the Pink Ladies and Burger Palace Boys into play and brought out some fun characters.

iluvtheatertrash
#2re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/7/05 at 10:56pm

Always hated it. Don't know why, though. Just gets on my nerves. It's *sooooo* shallow!

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/7/05 at 10:58pm

Grease is cute, and light fun.

Come on - how can one not find the songs not the least bit catchy?

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#4re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/7/05 at 10:58pm

Eh, I like the movie better because I think the relationship between Sandy and Danny is more endearing; in the movie they have some cute moments together so you can see why they like each other but in the musical they basically hate each other the whole time.

Not a huge fan, but I do love the revival version of "Beauty School Dropout" -INCREDIBLE.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#5re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/7/05 at 10:59pm

I like the Broadway version better. I grew up loving this show until I was old enough to recognize that the message the show left was that you had to be like everyone else if you wanna be happy! Anyways, my favorite songs are "There Are Worse Things I Could Do" and "Freddy, my love," specially Megan Mullally's version.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

leon1489 Profile Photo
leon1489
#6re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:03pm

Okay, I wouldn't call Grease a Broadway masterpiece, but it's all right. The music grows on you after you're forced to sing it a million times (I've done the show.) I enjoy grease for it's "cultural value." The movie was so cheesy but such a part of our American pop culture.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#7re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:03pm

Yeah, the one shame about the movie is that they left out "Freddy My Love"

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#8re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:05pm

re: Ok, Grease!!

I think the best renditions of songs from Grease is definately on the Live German Concert CD! Everyone sounds great!

leon1489 Profile Photo
leon1489
#10re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:07pm

What changes were made for the revival? I know that "Since I Don't Have You" was added, which I think was a great decision since Sandy was kind of crappy role in the original version.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#11re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:10pm

Have you heard the revival CD? Seriously, Billy Porter's gospel-ized Beauty School Dropout (it's like 7 or 8 minutes) is one of the best things I've ever heard.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#12re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:21pm

I'm actually upset I missed the revival.

I can notice some of the changes they made by just listening to the cast recording.

I think the role of Sandy is still cute in the non-revival version. Though I feel Rizzo steals the show.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#13re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:22pm

It's so easy for Sandy to be part of the background instead of at the forefront of the show, which is one thing that the movie (and revival I suppose) sort of fixes, in my opinion.

Updated On: 8/7/05 at 11:22 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#14re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:26pm

I also like Rizzo's "Grease Lightnin" Reprise from the revival. It's cute.

I don't know. I think Sandy is a cute role. But you can't help enjoying Rizzo more.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#15re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:28pm

Yeah, your Sandy has to be DARN endearing and charismatic to be taken seriously as a real person. Rizzo is just COOL :0)

Danitriniqueen
#16re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:30pm

What yuh think bout the movie Grease 2, starring Maxwell caulfield and Michelle Pfeiffer?

leon1489 Profile Photo
leon1489
#17re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:30pm

Well, Rizzo's a more interesting role. And "Worse Things I Could Do" is (in my opinion) the best song for the women in the show.

On the other hand, part of the reason why I think Grease isn't very powerful sometimes is because there's moments in the show that are very boring. For instance, All Alone at the Drive-In has to be one of the worst songs. These characters are all charicatures of stereotypes of the time period. But if you want to take the show seriously (which you do at points--Worse Things I Could Do being a prime example) songs like the Drive-In song aren't very good.

I also don't think that some of the songs have anything to do with what's going on onstage. How does "Magic Changes" advance Doody's character? It doesn't. While "Freddy My Love" is a cute number, there's no more references to Freddy. It's silly. It's cute. But you can't take it seriously. Same thing with "Mooning." They can all be very funny individually, but when you mix them together, it seems kind of contrived and cheesy.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#18re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:32pm

HA, Grease 2 surpasses ridiculousness in my book, I can't handle it :0)

leon1489 Profile Photo
leon1489
#19re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:33pm

Grease 2 was the worst idea ever. And seriously, the songs were awful. I think the highlight of that movie for me was "Reproduction."

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#20re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:35pm

I was in a production last year. Before doing it I didn't really like Grease. Now if I hear a Grease song I throw up a little in my mouth...it's not ALL Grease's fault. It was a miserable production.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine
Updated On: 8/7/05 at 11:35 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#21re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:09am

Listening to "Raining On Prom Night" from the revival CD.

Ahh. I love this version.

Sporti2005
#22re: Ok, Grease!!
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:24am

so, i didn't like the show until i actually did it....then i just liked it because it was FUN FUN FUN!!

i was rizzo, and the guy playing kenickie...well, lets just say that when we had to make out in the park scene i wasn't too upset - even though it was just a stage kiss.

"grace, you're stuffed in a box getting rid of ass plaque. let's face it, this evening is a bust."

Videos