JLT & "Sweet Charity"

hyperchet Profile Photo
hyperchet
#0JLT & "Sweet Charity"
Posted: 8/10/05 at 7:46pm

Jennifer Laura Thompson would make a great Charity in Sweet Charity, probably even better than Christina Applegate. I saw it last week, and I was REALLY BLOWN AWAY by Miss Applegate, I don't know why everyone critisizes her...

"Needless to say the crew is well acquainted with my ass and that's ok because they are the coolest guys ever." - Idina Menzel

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#1re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 7:50pm

You are not alone in being pleasantly surprised by Applegate's performance. It's great to see yet another poster come forward and post a positive review of the show that many people manage to enjoy, despite the naysayers.

JLT, wasn't she in Footloose as Ariel?

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

JLTfan211
#2re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 7:51pm

she would? I never saw it, but if she would be good for it, I hope she maybe thinks about it. I know she said in an interview that when she isn't singing or on Broadway, she misses it...hopefully, she'll come back soon.

hyperchet Profile Photo
hyperchet
#3re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 7:53pm

Yeah I mean, CA was on pitch the whole time, her dance numbers were great, she was VERY funny especially the elevator scene, um her kicks were amazing (haaha), and even though her voice wasn't ASTOUNDING it was ok and good enough to carry a show.

"Needless to say the crew is well acquainted with my ass and that's ok because they are the coolest guys ever." - Idina Menzel

JLTfan211
#4re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 7:56pm

and Jennifer was Ariel in Footloose, and Hope in Urinetown.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#5re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:06pm

Can she dance?

Well, I guess anyone can do those dances...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#6re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:08pm

I honestly doubt JLT can handle some of those moves. Shes a GREAT singer and actress though, wonderful on stage.

^ BSO. You haven't even seen the show.. what do you know about the choreography? Obviously not everyone can handle it, hence why Marissa Tomei, and Jenna Elfman both didn't get the role.

kim1061 Profile Photo
kim1061
#7re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:09pm

I sort of see her as Charity but more as Miss Sandra in All Shook Up.

A dancer might dream to see her name in lights and mean it, but all she really dreams is to make someone else feel the way she did when she first saw a dancer. And that is so beautiful-Anonymous

JLTfan211
#8re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:09pm

well, if ya wanna count her "new kids on the block dance" and her "chocolate cheese" dance.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#9re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:10pm

And also. Charity is a low alto role. I like hearing JLT's beautiful Mezzo. She can belt though, but Charity calls for a low alto, not much belting.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#10re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:11pm

Phew, Jenna Elfman is TALL. I didn't know Marissa and Jenna auditioned? Or were considered?

This is my signature.

emerald monkey
#11re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:27pm

I dunno if Charity is the right fit for JLT, but I WOULD love to see her take on Christine Colgate in DRS, think of the fun she could have with 'Here I Am' and 'Love is My Legs'.

Or...if she could master the puppetering... I'd think Kate Monster/Lucy T. Slut in Avenue Q would be something fun to see JLT do.

Heck, put her and Carolee onstage singing and reading the encyclopedia and I'd be there!

JLTfan211
#12re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:29pm

I just hope she comes back on Broadway soon, in a good part like she was just in, I'm dying to see her again. I just sent a package to the Gershwin, so I hope she gets it soon.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#13re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:31pm

Aigoo,

Marissa Tomei was first announced for the role. The plans fell through, people mostly think because she couldn't dance the part. Then Jenna Elfman was announced to have the role - but those plans also fell through - because she didn't have the right musical talents. THEN Jane Krakowski was in the running, but she got into a fight will Neil Simon over his book for the show - so he basically kicked her out, and Jane obviously had the musical talents for the role.

Then finally - the whole creative team came to a desicion. After an intense audition with Christina (which included Singing, dancing, and acting) and THEN a 3 hour PRIVATE audition with Cy Coleman ( the composer) , with her singing. They all agreed she was the one for the part.

Updated On: 8/10/05 at 08:31 PM

sassypanz
#14re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:54pm

Ticket sales would probably increase for charty if that happened. That would be cool if JLT were charity.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#15re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 9:42pm

I also really, really, REALLY enjoyed Christina's performance, I totally see how you would see JLT as Charity, i just typed JLY as a typo and it reminded me of jelly heh he im in a good mood.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#16re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 9:43pm

About tickets increasing, I dont think so. She isn't a name, only wicked/ theatre fans would go and in terms of sales its not much. She's not a name like Christina.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#17re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 9:52pm

No, but I have seen enough of the dancing to know that it is not the strong part of the show.

And, well, Sweet Charity is all about the dancing.

Joshua488
#18re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 10:07pm

Sweet Charity was all about the dancing when Bob Fosse was involved, but the show does not have to be all about the dancing.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#19re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 10:11pm

^ Exactly. Walter Bobbie has stated - yes Charity dances here and there - but in this revival Charity calls for a FANTASTIC comedic actress, and that is exactly what Christina is.

In this revival - Christina only has 3 major dance numbers, not really that much - and certainly not enough to completely judge her dance skills - like most do.

withoutlove78
#20re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 10:44pm

i guess she's make a good one, but i'd much rather see her in DRS

JLTfan211
#21re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 10:45pm

I don't care in my opinion, what she's in, I just want her to be in something soon!

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#22re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 10:48pm

"Sweet Charity was all about the dancing when Bob Fosse was involved, but the show does not have to be all about the dancing."

The show is not that strong. The book is blah, mediocre at best.

The music is great, but even better when accompanied by dancing.

If a production of SC is not about the dancing, then it is not heading in the right direction.

And if Christina is not the problem, then Cilento is. Well, he is either way.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#23re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/10/05 at 11:49pm

BSO, I really thought you would be one not to judge a show without seeing it.. Looks like I'm wrong.

Anyway, the score is amazing - and one of Broadway's best - with or without dancing.

The book is cute, nothing more - nothing less.

Dollypop
#24re: JLT & 'Sweet Charity'
Posted: 8/11/05 at 1:05am

Imagine what the box office will be like when Rosie O'Donnell takes over the role of Charity!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Videos