I Hate Hamlet

Mahatma Kane Jeeves
#0I Hate Hamlet
Posted: 8/23/05 at 10:38am

Greetings Guys and Dolls, newbie here in need of some info about the comedy I Hate Hamlet. Our local theater company is doing it for our fall production, and I intend to audition for the role of John Barrymore's ghost. I understand that the show was rather a flop on broadway, but all the reviews i've read have been just incredible. Has anyone seen or been a part of this show? Also, I read that a bitter feud between it's 2 leading men was a major factor in it's failure on broadway. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Brush up your Shakespeare, and they'll all kow-tow!

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#1re: I Hate Hamlet
Posted: 8/23/05 at 10:46am

I saw it on Broadway and loved it. The feud, I believe, was between Evan Handler (who played Andrew Rally) and Nicol Williamson (who played Barrymore).

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#2re: I Hate Hamlet
Posted: 8/23/05 at 11:01am

I've done Barrymore twice (once opposite a real live movie star playing Andrew!). Great role, very funny play without any real substance but an audience pleaser. It would help you to study Barrymore in "Romeo and Juliet" and "Grand Hotel" before your audition.
There is a very exciting swordfight between Barrymore and Andrew that closes Act One. That was where Nicol Williamson taunted Evan Handler one night, smacking him with his sword, and Handler walked offstage. Williamson was brought up on charges before Equity and Handler quit the show, bringing it to an early close.
Celeste Holm, Jane Adams, Adam Arkin and Caroline Aarons were also in the original cast.

melissa errico fan
#3re: I Hate Hamlet
Posted: 8/23/05 at 11:39am

No replacement info is listed for Handler on IBDB, but didn't Zeljko Ivanek replace him?

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#4re: I Hate Hamlet
Posted: 8/23/05 at 11:42am

I also LOVED the show on broadway. It's a fun script.

". . . POP . . ."

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#5re: I Hate Hamlet
Posted: 8/23/05 at 12:16pm

meffie, I think Handler's understudy finished the run. Was it Andrew Sullivan? I might have made that up...

melissa errico fan
#6re: I Hate Hamlet
Posted: 8/23/05 at 12:19pm

IBDB doesn't list any replacements or understudies (although I find it highly unlikely that the show had no understudies), so I really can't verify who took over for Handler.

However, I saw Handler in the role and thought he was fabulous.
I HATE HAMLET production credits

Gothampc
#7re: I Hate Hamlet
Posted: 8/23/05 at 12:30pm

Handler's replacement was Andrew Mutnick, an actor who had been a company member at Trinity Repertory Company.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Videos