pixeltracker

Avenue Q Las Vegas, a psuedo review (8.27.05)

Avenue Q Las Vegas, a psuedo review (8.27.05)

TonyBWay Profile Photo
TonyBWay
#0Avenue Q Las Vegas, a psuedo review (8.27.05)
Posted: 8/28/05 at 2:20am

So I was invited to the final dress rehearsal of Avenue Q Las Vegas and happy to announce that Vegas has hit the jackpot (pun intended!)

The show, which I initially saw in New York about a year and a half ago, holds up to what I saw back then. Jason Moore welcomed the crowd of avid theatre fans and industy folks alike. The show ran its full length, including a 15-minute intermission. Also, as previously reported there was not an additional song added to the show for the production.

John came out to entrance applaud as did Rick, and rightfully so. They are the pillars to this entire production. Both played their plethora of roles with ease and perfection. Brynn O'Malley does a subtle turn on "Kate Monster" and plays her with straight innocence and purity. She will surely become comfortable with the role in due time. Her singing was softer than rest, but came across nicely. Cole Porter and Tonya Dixon were also standouts as "Brian" and "Gary Coleman" respectively. This particular cast is known as the "Blue Bear Cast," the other being "Yellow Bear." So don't put all of your chips on seeing John, as many of you may. I will try and get the performance schedule for those wishing to plan ahead.

The orchestra was predominately made up of syntheizers and a 3-piece band. A few of the songs had been slightly altered and in a few cases slowed down ("Purpose" for one). The score/orchestrations was slightly less exciting then they could've been, but would be the only downfall to this upright production.

Updated On: 8/28/05 at 02:20 AM

*ClassicVintage* Profile Photo
*ClassicVintage*
#1re: Avenue Q Las Vegas, a psuedo review (8.27.05)
Posted: 8/28/05 at 2:22am

Thanks for the review.

Beyond talent lie all the usual words: discipline, love, luck- most of all endurance.

Radioactiveduck Profile Photo
Radioactiveduck
#2re: Avenue Q Las Vegas, a psuedo review (8.27.05)
Posted: 8/28/05 at 3:36am

Hmm, maybe Vegas wont totaly f**k up Broadway after all.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#3re: Avenue Q Las Vegas, a psuedo review (8.27.05)
Posted: 8/28/05 at 3:39am

is Mingle Chen an understudy for Gary Coleman?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

TonyBWay Profile Photo
TonyBWay
#4re: Avenue Q Las Vegas, a psuedo review (8.27.05)
Posted: 8/28/05 at 4:11am

You're right Lizzie, I corrected my wrong about those names. I meant to write Natalie Gray, which almost sounds like Mingle Chen. That's what happens when I cross reference names while typing!
Updated On: 8/28/05 at 04:11 AM

Therese
#5re: Avenue Q Las Vegas, a psuedo review (8.27.05)
Posted: 8/28/05 at 8:52am

THANKS for posting your review! I hope everyone who sees Q in Vegas will share their thoughts/experiences.

I'm confused, though. Isn't Natalie Gray Christmas Eve, and Tonya Dixon the regular Gary for this cast?

"In my own little corner..."

TonyBWay Profile Photo
TonyBWay
#6re: Avenue Q Las Vegas, a psuedo review (8.27.05)
Posted: 8/28/05 at 12:15pm

Embarrased to say that yes you are right. They didn't give out programs, and caught a quick glimpse of the "ABC" board to get their names in my head. Sorry!

Its all better now... Updated On: 8/28/05 at 12:15 PM

Videos