cheap cast recordings?

ihearttheatre
#0cheap cast recordings?
Posted: 10/17/05 at 8:48pm

Is there anywhere I can find cast recordings at a cheaper price? There's so many I want, but a lot are two-disk and can run up to $32. I'm aware of the used copies available at amazon.com, but it's still so expensive. Ughh.

Also, I feel like I'm being so disrespectful to the artists and their music when I download it illegally. And, its difficult to find cast recordings off file sharing networks because they really aren't so popular in that "other" world (the one without obsessive theatre-goers).

Are there any other options, or will I just have to keep spending all my money?

(..why couldn't I have a hobby, like collecting pebbles, that is freeeee?!)

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#1re: cheap cast recordings?
Posted: 10/17/05 at 8:51pm

If you live in a big city, try checking independent used CD places.

I got a lot of great Broadway stuff at a used place here in Los Angeles for nealy 50% off Amazon prices.

ElphabaRose Profile Photo
ElphabaRose
#2re: cheap cast recordings?
Posted: 10/17/05 at 8:51pm

itunes is amazing. to put it in perspective, I got A New Brain which has 29 tracks and is 18 dolars on amazon for 9.99. some OCRs end up being more expensive (you might have to pay the actual .99 for each song) but for the most part you get a much better deal.

Whatever happened to class?

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#3re: cheap cast recordings?
Posted: 10/17/05 at 8:52pm

at the showtunes store in my town you can get most single cds for ten bucks, new shows for 17 and double discs for 19-22

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

theonlyone Profile Photo
theonlyone
#4re: cheap cast recordings?
Posted: 10/17/05 at 9:00pm

What's the name of the CD store in LA? I'll probably check that out! I'm on a 'buying-really-cheap-CDs" rampage right now...lol.

Also, on Amazon.com, you can buy used CDs of any CD that Amazon sells and usually the quality is really good and you can contact the seller if you would want. There is of course an included $2.49 shipping charge, but I've bought Kiss of the Spiderwoman and A Little Night Music under $5 and the Carousel Revival CD for under $10 [including all shipping charges!]. They all barely had any scratches, and I'm really picky about those things, lol.

ihearttheatre
#5re: cheap cast recordings?
Posted: 10/17/05 at 9:01pm

thanks- i live in jersey, but i go to the city a lot, so maybe i can find a place there.

itunes is good, but theres something about openeing the physical CD and looking at the artwork that i really love, however, in desperate cases i def. use itunes.

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#6re: cheap cast recordings?
Posted: 10/17/05 at 11:04pm

If you go to http://www.drgrecords.com you can get Stephen Schwartz's THE MAGIC SHOW for only $7.99 . It has a few good songs such as "Lion Tamer", "West End Avenue" and "Style".

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#7re: cheap cast recordings?
Posted: 10/17/05 at 11:05pm

For people in LA, San Fran, and Berkley, it's all about Amoeba Music...

I LOVE that place.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

zzannahk Profile Photo
zzannahk
#8re: cheap cast recordings?
Posted: 10/17/05 at 11:28pm

library sales!

Liz_Bennet Profile Photo
Liz_Bennet
#9re: cheap cast recordings?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 1:18am

Half.com. Cheaaaaaap.

Amoeba is one of the more delightful things about San Francisco, and that's saying something. Rasputin's in Berkeley is also good.

"WHEN is the winter of our discontent?" "NOW is the winter of our discontent!" Visit My Blog

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#10re: cheap cast recordings?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 1:27am

Now - You KNOW the best song on "The Magic Show" CD is the DIVINE Anita Morris singing "Charmin's Lament"!!!

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

Mark in Oakland
#11re: cheap cast recordings?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 2:24am

If you are at all picky or concerned about sound quality, I wouldn't recommend iTunes as a source for your shpw tunes. The song files you get from them are in AAC format, which are smaller in size and, therefore, have much diminished fidelity. They won;t sound very good if you play them through a home stereo system - they are really meant to be listened to through an iPod-like player.

farfrombway
#12re: cheap cast recordings?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 2:27am

The original cast recording of Me and My Girl is fairly cheap. I think around twelve dollars at Barnes and Noble.

Jilani
#13re: cheap cast recordings?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 9:51am

Has anyone used yourmusic.com? It's a subscription service where you agree to buy one CD per month for $5.99 (shipping and handling is free). You can also buy as many other titles as you want for that same price. It looks like they have about 60 cast recordings in their catalog. I haven't used it; I just came across it the other day online.

http://www.yourmusic.com

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#14re: cheap cast recordings?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 9:56am

What's the name of the CD store in LA? I'll probably check that out!

Second Spin on Ventura Blvd is the one that I was referencing.

Amoeba is also great to get used stuff.

I also 2nd Half.com - I was able to get a couple of out of print things on there recently (Grease w/Shiels; Kiss of the Spiderwoman w/Williams) for under $13 total.

Videos