Melissa Bell Chait

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#0Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 1:09am

Does anyone know if she performed as Glinda more than once? Thanks.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#1re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 1:21am

Yes. She went on several times early on, when Chenoweth was having medical problems. This was before they had hired and rehearsed Laura Bell Bundy, of course.

PJ
#2re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 1:27am

Actually, she went on just once because Laura Bell Bundy only followed the standby agreement that she had to be within so many blocks of the theatre when she felt like it.

Then there is of course the story of when Kristin was having neck problems, was on Valuum, and couldn't perform. Laura Bell Bundy was in California at the time and never bothered to ask permission from the producers. And this was after Melissa had a stroke and was out of the show. So Kristin, completely stoned out of her mind, had to go on.

I just wanted to edit this to clear up any possible confusion: I'm a fan of LBB but I didn't agree with the way she would just disappear without ever telling anyone at Wicked she wouldn't be available to go on for Kristin in the event she was needed.
Updated On: 11/12/05 at 01:27 AM

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#3re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 1:39am

I know that Melissa went on once in SF. So she never did Glinda on Broadway? Sorry, I'm still confused. :p

Swiftynifty15
#4re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 9:54am

If it seems that Laura Bell Bundy was an irresponsible standby, then why would they want to hire her for Glinda initially. Isn't that what they wanted to do? But, she wanted more money, so they hired JLT?
Updated On: 11/12/05 at 09:54 AM

#5re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 9:58am

"so they hirede JLT?"

And we all lived in Glinda heaven...

Swiftynifty15
#6re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 10:03am

Sorry- Spelling Mistake.

Yankeefan007
#7re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 10:14am

Melissa Bell Chait had a stroke, or, is that sarcasm I missed?

CharityHope924 Profile Photo
CharityHope924
#8re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 10:26am

I know she got to perform the role on Broadway, because she was in the show when I saw it. (She was wonderful.)

And I read on various Web sites that she did indeed have a stroke. Does anyone know how she's feeling? Has she completely recovered? Is she performing again?

Then from out of the blue, and without any guide, you know what your decision is, which is not to decide... I chose and my world was shaken, so what? The choice may have been mistaken; the choosing was not. Just keep moving on... --Sondheim

GirlfriendFromCanada
#9re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 11:33am

I saw Melissa as Glinda on Broadway, so she definitely went on at least once, and I'd imagine more than once. She was fine in the role, I never DID see Kristin, but I liked Melissa. My only complaint about her is that she seemed a lot older than Glinda should be.

sassypanz
#10re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 12:57pm

Melissa went on in San Fran at least once and broadway once! in previews. The end!

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#11re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 1:05pm

Melissa went as Glinda on more than once
I remember that she went on for the matinee performance before I saw Kristin later that night in early Nov. 2003 and she went on when Mel Brooks came to see Kristin for Young Frankenstien
I remember reading that he loved her
and yes, she did have a real stroke

PJ
#12re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 1:16pm

I'm quite certain that Melissa only went on once here in New York. I don't know about in SF, but she only had the opportunity to play the role one time on Broadway.

GirlfriendFromCanada
#13re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 1:23pm

Wow, so I saw the one time she went on. That's kind of crazy! It was November, but I am almost positive it was after opening, or very close to opening, I think the 19th.

ChenoInTraining Profile Photo
ChenoInTraining
#14re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 2:58pm

Melissa went on for a whole week once right before she left because kristin was out and i believe LBB hadnt been offically hired yet.

It's good to see me isnt it!

PJ
#15re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 4:20pm

Okay, not to sound like a "know-it-all," but Melissa did not go on for an entire week. It was only one performance when Cheno and LBB were both out.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#16re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 4:28pm

Yeah, it was only once. In fact, I remember someone posting a thread on here about how she is now their teacher and I think they even quoted her saying she only went on once.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 11/12/05 at 04:28 PM

Esther
#17re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 5:57pm

She definitely went on the Tuesday night Nov 2003 that Idina did Defying Gravity on Letterman as I was at that performance. It was supposed to start at 7PM, but they didn't go on until after 7:20. That was the first time in over 12 yrs that a principle was out for a performance I went to- I had been really lucky up to that point. I'm pretty sure that wasn't her first time going on.

ChenoInTraining
#18re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 6:19pm

hmmm, i wonder who that person who quoted her was, because i probably know them. she's my teacher as well, and she was telling us wicked stories and she said she went on for a "full week"

Swiftynifty15
#19re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 8:58pm

Did they tape that Letterman segment during the day because a lot of the ensemble-all of the ensemble was there, right?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#20re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 9:08pm

I know she went on more than once. Not a whole week, but she did several performances.

Here are some articles from Playbill detailing the performances she was on at:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/82865.html
-Both shows on November 19
("A spokesperson for the musical about the early life of the "Wizard of Oz" witches told Playbill On-Line, "Kristin will be out of both shows today. She has a cold that has settled in her throat, and her doctor has said that she needs to take the day off to rest." Melissa Bell Chait will perform the role of Glinda in Chenoweth's absence.")

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/82920.html
-Still out as of 11/21
("Due to illness, Chenoweth has been absent from the cast of the new Stephen Schwartz musical since Nov. 18. A spokesperson for the musical about the early life of the "Wizard of Oz" witches told Playbill On-Line earlier in the week, "Kristin has a cold that has settled in her throat, and her doctor has said that she needs to [rest]." Melissa Bell Chait will perform the role of Glinda in Chenoweth's absence. As of press time, it is unknown whether Chenoweth will return to the show this weekend.")

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/82932.html
-Out 11/22 matinee; back for the evening
("Melissa Bell Chait performed the role of Glinda in Chenoweth's absence...An employee at the Gershwin Theatre box office confirmed that although Chenoweth missed the Saturday matinee, she would return to the musical for the evening performance.")

By using those records, that means she went at least 5 times (2 shows Wednesday, 1 Thursday, 1 Friday, and the Saturday matinee). And these are just the ones that were reported on Playbill.

Clearly the "know it all" doesn't know it all. Updated On: 11/12/05 at 09:08 PM

ChenoInTraining
#21re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 9:49pm

I really hope your not refering to me as a "know it all." I was simply reporting what i knew straight from the source.

musicalsFan
#22re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 9:53pm

no, he's refering to PJ as the "know-it-all"

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#23re: Melissa Bell Chait
Posted: 11/12/05 at 10:01pm

11/22/03 was the night I saw Wicked for the first time

PJ
#24re: Melissa Bell Chait