pixeltracker

Oh What A Night! My thoughts on JERSEY BOYS

Oh What A Night! My thoughts on JERSEY BOYS

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#0Oh What A Night! My thoughts on JERSEY BOYS
Posted: 11/15/05 at 11:07pm

Just back from seeing Jersey Boys.

I have always been a huge fan of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons so although skeptical when I first heard about this project, I immediately got jazzed about it once I attended a rehearsal a few weeks before the first preview.

Des does an amazing job keeping the action flowing from scene to scene - the the same way he did with TOMMY. I am a huge fan of shows that are able to do scene changes on the fly instead of constantly going to black.

The book to this show also keeps things moving with both humor and pathos. If it seems so "obvious" a device having a group of four guys to have each person tell their side for part of it, it's because of the flawless work of both book writers who make it seem so easy.

The cast is working their you know what off and all seem to be having the time of their lives - and why not? The orchestrations are top notch as are all the performaces. While everyone (as I said) shines in their respective (and sometimes many) roles - in my opinion the show belongs to John Lloyd Young and Christian Hoff. Now don't get me wrong - Daniel and J Robert are incredible as well.

I'm keeping my comments brief (so sorry this isn't more elaborate) but I just wanted to chime in. This is a show that happens to be a jukebox musical simply because of the songs involved - but it really isn't. It's a poignant, intriguing, and hard look at one of America's legendary groups that until now, we knew very little about.

I will also add that I haven't seen an audience react so wildly to a show and so many of its songs and scenes since Hairspray.

John Young stopped the show and got a well deserved standing ovation (and when I say stopped. I mean stopped and held for at least a full minute or two) during "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You"

I will definitely be going back to see this one again - and no, I am not a shill. It's a rare thing for me, personally, to leave a show not wanting it to end. Such was the case with JERSEY BOYS.

p.s. I don't see how Christian and John would not get a Tony Nom this season.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka
Updated On: 11/16/05 at 11:07 PM

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#1re: Oh What A Night! My thoughts on JERSEY BOYS
Posted: 11/15/05 at 11:17pm

Don't forget Reichard.
re: Oh What A Night!  My thoughts on JERSEY BOYS
He made the show for me!
(I could not take my eyes off of him)
Those eyes. Yum! Updated On: 11/15/05 at 11:17 PM

GirlfriendFromCanada
#2re: Oh What A Night! My thoughts on JERSEY BOYS
Posted: 11/16/05 at 12:20am

I know I'm an odd one, but I like Spencer the best of the four! I just find Nick to be a really interesting guy, and find Spencer to make Nick likable and easy to sympathize with. Plus, he has a wonderful bass voice with the group, and I wish he had a chance to sing on his own a bit more, because I really enjoy his sound. I love the other three guys too, of course, but something about Nicky...

irene2 Profile Photo
irene2
#3re: Oh What A Night! My thoughts on JERSEY BOYS
Posted: 11/16/05 at 12:53am

I loved Jersey Boys, too. Saw it first in San Diego and then again while in New York. Liked it equally on both coasts, although you can't beat Broadway for the after-theatre excitement! re: Oh What A Night!  My thoughts on JERSEY BOYS

Tommy DeVito (Hoff) is my favorite character, but I think the actor playing Gaudio (Reichard) has the smoothest/sexiest singing voice.

I agree with Craig, the show is just so much fun you don’t want it to end. I wish the show were still playing in San Diego, I would see it again. (I’m thinking of buying the cast recording to appease me...)

MusicalMan2 Profile Photo
MusicalMan2
#4re: Oh What A Night! My thoughts on JERSEY BOYS
Posted: 11/16/05 at 1:17am

Thanks for the great info. I am very excited to see Jersey Boys. I want to get to NYC as soon as possible to see it. I knew it was going to be good. I love all the clips from it. Plus it has legendary music and a story that's never been told. Thanks again for your review, it makes me even that more excited to see it!!

#5re: Oh What A Night! My thoughts on JERSEY BOYS
Posted: 11/16/05 at 8:34am

Craig, I was at the show last night also and had the exact same feelings----I try to see almost every show and so was amazed at the audience response to this one (myself included!). When they first sang "Sherry" in those red jackets, I got goosebumps! During the intermission---everyone talked to everyone around them and were so excited to be experiencing this production. The talent is incredible----(I agree that the night belonged to John Lloyd Young and Christian Hoff---they're amazing--and I would be surprised if they don't get Tony nods--not just surprised but extremely disappointed).
I want to go back!!!

bdwaygirl Profile Photo
bdwaygirl
#6re: Oh What A Night! My thoughts on JERSEY BOYS
Posted: 11/16/05 at 9:57am

Finally going on Friday. Can't wait!

I hung out with Cheyenne Jackson in his dressing room waayyyyyy before he tickled D2.

"unleash the girly"

Our fingerprints don't fade from the lives we touch.

Puppies are babies in fur coats.

Tinfoil...The Terrorizing Terminator

wickedfan2 Profile Photo
wickedfan2
#7re: Oh What A Night! My thoughts on JERSEY BOYS
Posted: 11/16/05 at 10:22am

Can't wait.... I'm going to the matinee next Wed!! Thanks for that review!

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#8re: Oh What A Night! My thoughts on JERSEY BOYS
Posted: 11/16/05 at 11:55am

Justafan

Indeed. Many times at shows you overhear people talking about a multitude of things not at all related to the show they've seen so far - and last night everyone around me was talking about the performances, songs, etc.

Major Kudos to Heather Ferguson too who was on for Jennifer Naimo (Heather played, among others, the first Mrs. Valli)

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

jerseyboysfan2
#9re: Oh What A Night! My thoughts on JERSEY BOYS
Posted: 11/16/05 at 11:57am

Craig,

I could not agree with you more...Saw the show while still in previews and we loved every minute of it..

Yes I too was called a "shill" laughable now....No "shills" here only "thrills" to seeing such a great dynamite show.

Hope to see it in the near future again...and again..

The whole cast is terrific, but my special one is still John Lloyd Young...he is absolutely fantastic.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#10re: Oh What A Night! My thoughts on JERSEY BOYS
Posted: 11/16/05 at 12:04pm

It is all about Reichard.
re: Oh What A Night!  My thoughts on JERSEY BOYS

Amy Archer
#11re: Oh What A Night! My thoughts on JERSEY BOYS
Posted: 11/16/05 at 12:36pm

"She's the girl with no gaydar!"

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#12re: Oh What A Night! My thoughts on JERSEY BOYS
Posted: 11/16/05 at 12:39pm

If he is gay so what! Even if he was straight he would not want me. But a girl can still admire beauty. re: Oh What A Night!  My thoughts on JERSEY BOYS

Videos