Posted: 12/4/05 at 2:36am

Heh. Was it sarcasm or was he serious?

yr ronin,
joey

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#101re: Why RENT is the bane of my existence/SPOILER
Posted: 12/4/05 at 10:48am

i really love the fact that all of yall are saying that the movie has nothing on the emotional value of the stage production

oh I totally disagree......the movie allows more emotion I think.....my God, just the whole Angel death scene.

I understand RENT SO much more, after having seen the movie. I mean just the number 'RENT' was so much more powerful, with all the people in the buildings and fires.....

I do think people should see the stage production first.......but the movie brings out MUCH more emotion, at least for me anyway....

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#102re: Why RENT is the bane of my existence/SPOILER
Posted: 12/4/05 at 10:51am

I think the movie allows more emotion, too, by virtue of its ability to let you get to know the characters more. I described it as that in the show, you feel sad for the people as a sort of generation -- the suffering, starving artists, people with HIV/AIDS, what have you. In the movie, because of the ways in which film's *more* intimate than theatre, I certainly found myself feeling for them more as individual people than I do on stage. I cried far more in the movie than I ever have in the show. I felt a lot more connected to the characters on film.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 12/4/05 at 10:51 AM

VivaBohemia Profile Photo
VivaBohemia
#103re: Why RENT is the bane of my existence/SPOILER
Posted: 12/4/05 at 11:24am

"1. I am not gay.
2. I am not an artist/musician.
3. I don't know anyone who loves theater, and don't care what anyone thinks about my love of theater.
4. I didn't know anything about Larson when I started liking Rent.
5. I love Rent.

I am one exception to your theory. "

Make me two. :)

I can understand how Rent (especially seeing it the first time) can be hard to digest. It can feel chaotic, it can feel abrupt, it can feel, at times, a bit cheesy, but the messages are strong enough, in my opinion, to leave you impacted.

My sister had never seen/heard/known about it, and I dragged her to the movie anyway. She loved it, and she isnt any of the above either.

IHATERENT, trying to critisize Rent with watered down statements and generalizations is just funny to me. And I definately reccomend seeing the stage show. You just cant compare the two. They are so much different. (No matter how well Columbus recreated it for film.)

And also, something Rent Fans will do with their eyes closed is defend it. Thats why its always so funny when I see these posts. Usually someone will make better points in Rent's defense!

*Krissy* **Support the use of illegal wood burning stoves. Get your own metal trash can today!**

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#104re: Why RENT is the bane of my existence/SPOILER
Posted: 12/4/05 at 11:36am

I struggle with liking Rent as well for a couple of reasons

1) The music. It is loud and bombastic, without any creative elements thrown in. It all sounds the same to me, just like a loud high school garage band.

2) Unlikable characters. Some of the characters developed, but did I honestly care what happened to any of them? No! They had screwed up their lifes with drugs and a perverse philosophy to live for today with no thought for tomorrow. Great way to live your life.

3) The ending. It would have been so much more effective if Mimi had died like in La Boheme. It was anticlimactic and annoying.

Keep your morals, I don't have time. Keep your lovers, I'm changing mine! -The Likes of Us

DamnYankees101
#105re: Why RENT is the bane of my existence/SPOILER
Posted: 12/4/05 at 11:45am

I would also like to point out that with this release of the RENT movie, whether you like it or not, hopefully it will sparks people's interests in realizing that AIDS is still a problem here in the U.S.

ALWrules-

1.) It is a ROCK opera, much more rock opera than it is Broadway theatre..and yet it still is, which is something that people think creative. Did you not like Seasons of Love?

2.) They screwd up their lives with drugs and a perverse philosophy to live for today and no thought for tomarrow.

I have to say that I don't mind at ALL you not liking the sow but to say that I felt was kind of out of line. They're dying because of a mistake and they have to live with that. Do YOU know what it's like to live with the knowledge that you can be dead any day. Actually I suppose you do as all people know that ONE day they will die but it's completely different when you have AIDS. And personally them sticking to their morals and not bowing down to society standards makes them heroes. If I were you, I'd just be careful with the perverse philosophy comment.

It is a great way to live your life.
Updated On: 12/4/05 at 11:45 AM

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#106re: Why RENT is the bane of my existence/SPOILER
Posted: 12/4/05 at 12:03pm

Well. That's quite a welcoming response you gave the new guys, BWW. re: Why RENT is the bane of my existence/SPOILER

I really would like to say things about this, but when it comes to situations like this and similar to this, I'm really damned if I do and damned if I don't. Maybe "another day". (Budum chhhh) re: Why RENT is the bane of my existence/SPOILER

This is my signature.
Updated On: 12/4/05 at 12:03 PM

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#107re: Why RENT is the bane of my existence/SPOILER
Posted: 12/4/05 at 1:45pm

1. gay and so different from the rest of the world

I rarely say things like this, but just from that comment, wow, you are an a$$hole.