Drowsy Chaperone: A review

CompanyGuy Profile Photo
CompanyGuy
#0Drowsy Chaperone: A review
Posted: 12/3/05 at 3:14am

Okay, so I just returned from "The Drowsy Chaperone" at the Ahmanson. And I was told to review the show for those who are not in the LA area and won't see it till it reaches New York. Which trust me it will.
"The Drowsy Chaperone" (further called TDC) is a harken to the old-age musicals of the 1930s as seen through the eyes of a man in a chair. Bob Martin, who plays this character, couldn't be any funnier or witty. His deliverances of each line, or in this case the majority of the dialogue in the show is perfect. The show begins in total darkness, and we hear his voice talking about the darkness, and how he knows how we are feeling. Such things as "I really hope this show is good. Please GOD, please." From that point on I was laughing throughout the entire night.
All the characters are from a fictional show called "TDC", which happens to be the man in the chair's favorite record/show. We are transported from the record play to live orchestra and with the entrance of the characters. It was a very "Something's Afoot" beginning. Everyone is introduced through the one song "Fancy Dress".
From there on Bob Martin narrates the plot-line, which his character admits is paper thin, and the characters two-dim. Basically, Sutton Foster is a huge follies star, and is leaving the stage to get married to a millionaire (Troy Britton Johnson). Think Tony and Polly from The Boyfriend. Well the owner of the follies is upset because he is going to lose money, and desperately trying to stop the wedding. Add in some gansters, an annoying blonde, and of course the Bride's Chaperone,. and you have a show.
TAP DANCING! Yes, it survives outside of 42nd Street. A great tap number between Troy Britton Johnson and Eddie Korbich (which is the groom's right hand man) during the song Cold Feets. It was great to see them bust the tap moves.
On to the question of the hour, and partially the point of this review. Will Sutton Foster be considered Leading or Supporting. As in the state of her character now: supporting. She busts out her moves in singing and dancing, and some very cool vaudeville gimmicks during "Show Off". She even gets the chance of an encore. Sutton is a jem in her role. But I was constantly reminded of Polly Browne. Sutton is off to get married, some very stupid conflict comes up, and she decides not to, and then it is on again. Very Boyfriend. But the only Leading role belongs to Bob Martin. The rest are supporting to minor. Not knowing the rest that are in the running in that catergory or supporting actress,I would put Sutton as a great contender.
I just realized that I am telling you all that goes on, so I will go further more into the review of things.
There are stand out performance. Beth Leavel gives a knock-out performance in her "what the heck was that suppose to mean?" song "As We Stumble Along". "Toledo Surpise" was a great ensemble number which was so catchy that even the characters that were sad joined in, in the romp.
A character that has to wait an hour and a half to return to the stage after the opening (note: there is no intermission, so pee when you can) us Trix, the Aviatrix. She is played by Kecia Lewis-Evans. Boy does she have a voice, and I wish that she would have been in it more. She was belting the heck out of "I Do, I Do In The Sky".
"TDC" is to be taken at face value. It is suppose to make you happy inside and want to dance. Bob Martin brings more depth to his character when he gets in actedotes about his ex-wife, and his mother and father. And you come to understand that he reads alot into "TDC" because it is his way or relating. Which boils down to this: We as the audience love musicals because they are relatable, AND let you escape your life for a little bit. Yes this is a FLUFF piece, but it is Fluff with Attitude. It doesn't apologize for what it is, it just is.
Bob Martin. Will he get a nom for his part? I don't know. He only sings at the end of the show, and never by himself. I will leave that question to the trivia-knowers of past winners.
Direction: beautiful. Nicholaw (from Spamalot) knows the rules of comedy and I suppose lack of rules in comedy. It was stylized to a tee. The gags were great but not annoying. It was a true replica of what a 1930s musical would be.
The Set: simplictic. But it worked so well. It is set in the man in the chair's apartment, with beds and curtain and art work coming from all direction. And to those Women in White fans, there is a digital touches of the "Outside" and whatnot. Very cool I must say.
I am really tired, so I am losing steam. If you have questions about it, go for it. I will answer as best to my ability. I hope I didn't let you down Margo!

apdarcey
#1re: Drowsy Chaperone: A review
Posted: 12/3/05 at 3:57am

thanks! i love kecia and am glad to hear she's doing well in the show (if a bit under-used)... she was the best asaka and her dorcas last spring in dessa rose brought me to tears.

CompanyGuy Profile Photo
CompanyGuy
#2re: Drowsy Chaperone: A review
Posted: 12/3/05 at 1:39pm

Her voice was awesome.
Something i didn't mention: The book is very smart. I would have to say the strongest part of the show. Out of all the new musicals I think this one will take it for its wittiness and cool concept.

iwearshoes Profile Photo
iwearshoes
#3re: Drowsy Chaperone: A review
Posted: 12/3/05 at 1:55pm

ThatI am seeing this tomorrow so I am thrilled that you enjoyed it.

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#4re: Drowsy Chaperone: A review
Posted: 12/3/05 at 2:13pm

Saw it a few weeks ago. Loved it. It will probably be one of the best new musicals of the season. I also felt the AAviatrix was underused. GIVE HER ANOTHER SONG!

John3 Profile Photo
John3
#5re: Drowsy Chaperone: A review
Posted: 12/3/05 at 2:24pm

I know what you mean, she appears about two times in the whole show. But the show was great. Every aspect, in my opinion was very well handled, especially the book.

#6re: Drowsy Chaperone: A review
Posted: 12/4/05 at 9:32pm

EVERYONE needs to see it in LA so that there's strong momentum and more money in the war chest to take it to Broadway!

Go...NOW!

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#7re: Drowsy Chaperone: A review
Posted: 12/5/05 at 12:49am

What can I say that hasn't been said yet...

Bob Martin is a revelation....He should get plenty of sitcom deals after this show- yet another brilliant comic import from Canada.

Direction is absolutely brilliant.

The book, songs and performances are all excellent.

It's rare to see a new show that works on EVERY level. This is the REAL THING. Go see it!!!!

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

#8re: Drowsy Chaperone: A review
Posted: 12/5/05 at 3:46pm

Ditto

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#9re: Drowsy Chaperone: A review
Posted: 12/5/05 at 3:51pm

i can't wait to see this show once it comes to NYC!!!

Videos