pixeltracker

Looking for some material to write a musical on...

Looking for some material to write a musical on...

fiyero8132
#0Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/15/05 at 8:37pm

Want to devote the next 3 weeks to it. PM me if you have any great ideas, please :)

BSoBW2
#1re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/15/05 at 8:38pm

BWW

Wait...

fiyero8132
#2re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/15/05 at 8:42pm

Sorry what? I don't understand...

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#3re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/15/05 at 8:48pm

i think you'll get some progress done in terms of sketching out a plot, but writing a musical is a very long process

BSoBW2
#4re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/15/05 at 8:49pm

3 weeks, try 3 years.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#6re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/15/05 at 8:51pm

um, no offense, but if I had an idea for a musical....why would I give it to someone else?

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

BSoBW2
#7re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/15/05 at 8:52pm

Because some people can write music in three weeks, some people can't. Wouldn't you want your idea out there?

Jeez, Elphaba, the kid wants to write a 3 week musical!

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#8re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/15/05 at 8:55pm

sorry......I don't give ideas away. Collaboration is one thing......but giving my ideas to someone else......that's just plain silly.

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

theatreboi11
#9re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/15/05 at 8:57pm

If you only have 3 week to devote to it how about a jukebox musical. I mean look at the ones that we had on Broadway. They DEFINATLY spent no more than 3 weeks putting those shows together!

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

BSoBW2
#10re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/15/05 at 8:58pm

Hey! ASU was damn fine.

And Elphaba - you are being rude to this year chil' who just wants your ideas. Not your soul.

Some people...

re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...

(P.S. I agree with you)

fiyero8132
#11re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/15/05 at 9:12pm

3 weeks is to map out the story/characters/concept alone. I don't want your ideas. I wanted you to suggest material you felt would be suitable for a project like this. I think your just feeling defensive elphaba cuz you don't have any musical talent. Sorry elphie, that's just the way it works. some get the gift. some dont.

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#12re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/15/05 at 9:20pm

Woah, Fiyero. You do NOT want to say something like that to Elphaba. Ever. EVER!!!

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel

BSoBW2
#13re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/15/05 at 9:22pm

Wow.

Now no one is going to help you.

Suggesting material? Giving ideas? You can write "one" or "1" but it still means the same thing.

fiyero8132
#14re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/15/05 at 9:22pm

Why? Is she a b*tch? I already knew that..

fiyero8132
#15re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/15/05 at 9:24pm

Ya know what? This was dumb. What was I thinking - i'd get a perfect idea for a musical on bww? Sorry folks. My bad.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#16re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/15/05 at 9:25pm

And winner for the most arrogrant goes to...

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#17re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/15/05 at 9:26pm

Well, first off, I am talking about the user, Elphaba. Not the WICKED charater. Second, the user Elphaba is a male. Third, I don't want to talk about why I don't think it's a good idea to tell Elphaba something like what you just said.

And fourth off, these people were trying to tell you that if you are trying to write a muscial without any jukebox songs, it will take a long time. You didn't have to get feisty about it. Think of it as help. Some really ARE willing to share ideas, but first you said ideas, and then you said, "I'm not looking for ideas, just material to write about." You contradicted yourself, by saying that in a way.

Sorry to be nasty. I was just telling the truth.

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel
Updated On: 12/15/05 at 09:26 PM

fiyero8132
fiyero8132
#19re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/15/05 at 9:32pm

sorry all. no hard feelings to ya.

RentBoy86
#20re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/16/05 at 12:33am

Didn't Elton john write the music for Lestat in like a week or a few days or something rather short. Mabye he won't right the "Finished" project in 3 weeks. But i'm sure he can get a rough scketch down. Anyways, out of curiousity, how do you go about "mapping" it out? I'm curious, i'm also writing a musical, been working on it for about 6 years or so, but I haven't actually started working on it hardcore until this year. Just curious as to how you'd lay out an outline or whatnot. thanks.

BSoBW2
#21re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/16/05 at 12:36am

Yeah, and have you LISTENED to Lestat?

TheatreDiva612 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva612
#22re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/16/05 at 12:37am

woah! no one talks to elphaba like that!

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#23re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/16/05 at 12:47am

You guys are going to all be sorry in 30 years when fiyero8132 is giving the reception speech for his 37th Tony, for best music and lyrics (he had previously won in the night for best book, best orchestrations, best revival of one of his earlier shows, and best lighting design. Fingers crossed for best director and best actor, but it's looking good).

He will also be the credible author (critics say he has the popularity of Andrew Lloyd Webber and the ingeunity of Stephen Sondheim) of "How to write a musical in three weeks, get it produced, set up and rehearsed in another two, and then go on to win a bunch of Tonys".

Get on his good side now. Make friends. Then you can say you knew him when.

Meanwhile, fiyero8132 turns out to be David Yazbeck or more appropriately Joe Brooks ;P

yr ronin,
joey

wickedwitchofthechest
#24re: Looking for some material to write a musical on...
Posted: 12/16/05 at 12:47am

Handel is said to have written The Messiah in about two weeks.

"Wilkins, after all these years, are you trying to be funny?"

Videos