aces25
#50re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 11:13pm

Hmmmm for once I feel a bit better

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#51re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 11:35pm

good. I'm glad we could help you. you're not the only one in this situation.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#52re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:06am

I like the idea to play it like Paul Lynde.
or Dom DeLuis
Keep it Gay Keep it Gay Keep it Gay
I mean you could be Mr. Potts!

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#53re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:31am

or why dont you just kill yourself, jesus - bite it

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

#54re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/26/06 at 11:21am

I agree with Dre. I would love to have this part, and I'm a female. (Maybe I'd try to convince the casting director to change the character into Belle's mother.) I don't know exactly how old you are, but I get a sense that you are very young and there is an element of age fright in your attitude because the character is old. He doesn't necessarily have to be. In the time that the story takes place, it's a long long time ago, when people got married at the age of 16. If Belle is 20, that makes you 36. Can you handle that? The character gets lost in the woods and kidnapped by the beast. That could happen at any age.

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#55re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:18pm

glinda makes a good point. Maurice could be younger. But I think belle is more like 18 or 19. Maybe 20, but I always thought her younger. but yeah, he totally could be in his 30s or early 40s.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

Dancinqueen123 Profile Photo
Dancinqueen123
#56re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/26/06 at 4:31pm

That's very true. The kid who's playing Maurice in our production looks like he's about 16 (which he is), but there were plenty of other people who look much older who could have been chosen for the part. Keep in mind you were chosen for a reason. Not necisarilly (I know I can't spell) for your looks, but for a spwcial quality that you can bring to the character.

<--Sometimes it's easier to get out of a jam than into one

leap_of_moo
#57re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/26/06 at 7:32pm

"Plus, it's embarassing.... Everytime someone asks what part I am they ask excitingly then i reply "Maurice" .... "Oh"... they reply "

You should be proud of being cast at all and learn to love your part. Maybe people react this way because you're making it obvious that you aren't happy about being cast as Maurice. Maurice is a large part of the show, despite his lack of scenes.
If you try, you can make your parts memorable. I would love to play this role and I'm a girl. Bring a new perspective to it. Typecasting isn't all bad. You probably got this role because the director thinks that you can bring something special. You could approach this role any number of ways, and I think it would be interesting to see Maurice played younger and more level-headed.
Updated On: 1/26/06 at 07:32 PM

aces25 Profile Photo
aces25
#58re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/26/06 at 11:43pm

Is there anything psychological wrong with Maurice?

Plus, How am i suppose to play him not as an old man with lines like "i'm old.. i've lived my life"

local_kid_wanna_go_big Profile Photo
local_kid_wanna_go_big
#59re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/26/06 at 11:48pm

We did Beauty and the Beast last spring, and its a fun show. I made my part the best ever, I wore a hot pink wig and my wardrobe costume was AWSOME. When I came out on stage I struck this pose and held it though an entire song. People still talk about that today! You have to find the little things in your character to make it the best. Have Maurice be older.. and grow on it, add extra wrinkles, add a walk, have his voice be different. You'll find a way. Look past Maurice and give him heart, put extra feeling into the song and you'll be great! Have fun!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#60re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/27/06 at 12:28am

maybe u could take rip yer shirt up and play that prison scene Hot!

thez914 Profile Photo
thez914
#61re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/27/06 at 6:42pm

I can't believe I'm writing this to make YOU feel better...I agree that you are being a little bi*ch.

But might I point out that Maurice is one of 3 characters in the whole show who gets to be onstage by himself. Everyone will be looking at you. Plus you get your own song and a chase scene.

There. Now stop your whining and go tell someone who gives a sh*t.

"Art is always in crisis: you must work fast to write in the breath on the window." -Edward Bond

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#62re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/27/06 at 7:07pm

Be glad you have a part and no one here wants to hear you bitch. Get over it.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird
Updated On: 1/27/06 at 07:07 PM