Anthony Rapp book signing at UF

surefinewhatever Profile Photo
surefinewhatever
#0Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/25/06 at 11:49pm

Ok, so I just got back from Anthony Rapp speech/signing tonight. Let me first just say that it was an amazing experience and I'm glad I was able to go. I know a lot of you are going to his future book signings and that you might like to know what kind of things he might talk about at them.

After he introduced himself he talked a little bit about how he's spoken at a few schools in the past, and how he really enjoys meeting young people, especially in the college age group. He talked a little bit about how he got started writing the book, that he actually started it awhile back, but it took 6 years to finish. He talked a little bit about RENT and the importance of its message. He also mentioned some interesting coincidences of dates between his book, Jonathan Larson, and RENT. For example, the official release of his book is the anniversary RENT's first off-broadway preview (which was actually a complete accident).

A good portion of the speech was dedicated to reading an excerpt out of his book. All I have to say about it is wow. I was completely caught off guard by how emotionally powerful his book was. The excerpt he read was about the morning he found out about Jonathan Larson's death and he makes it so personal, as if you're actually reliving the experience through him. You could really feel how devastating that morning was for him and everyone around him. I was surprised at how eloquent and moving his writing could be and I can't wait to read the rest of the book.

Afterwards, he treated us to a short performance. He sang an acapella (sorry if i spelled that wrong) version of Seasons of Love. I've never seen Anthony Rapp perform live in anything, so it was a really great experience for me. The last thing was a short Q & A session, which was actually one of the best parts of the evening. Alot of his personality and sense of humor came out at this part. Like at one point this girl couldn't reach the mic, and he said "aww, you're short", which got a lot of laughs from everyone. After he finished answering her quesion, she responded "I forgive you for calling me short" and he was like "thanks, i forgive you for being short". Then when the next person came up he said " and you're tall!". Another little thing I wanted to mention was how after he read from his book he asked the the crowd to give him a minute to take a sip of water because he was parched, then after a small pause and a sly look, he added "parched, parched, parched", which got a big laugh from everyone. Then after another pause and look, he said "moo with me" which just made it better.

At the end, he did a book signing. He was really nice and made sure everyone who bought a book got it signed. At one point, the security guys made it a book only signing, but I was lucky that I was early enough to get both my book and RENT poster signed, and a picture. Yay!

Overall, his speech gave a lot of insight behind his experience with RENT (both stage and movie version) and his friendship with Jonathan Larson. If you have a chance, go to his book signings because its an amazing experience and the book is great! (at least from what he read, i haven't had a chance to read it myself)

I know that sometimes you read these boards so, thank you Anthony for coming to UF! I hope you had a good time with us!

" I don't cause commotions, I am one."
Updated On: 1/26/06 at 11:49 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#1re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/25/06 at 11:55pm

Great post, I'm glad you had fun and got to meet Anthony, etc.

I hope you like the book -- it's really powerful.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Katt
#2re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:00am

Aww I wish I could have been there. I can't wait until the book comes out. Just a few more days!

Fantabulous428 Profile Photo
Fantabulous428
#3re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:00am

Thanks for the review. Looking forward to 2/7 and 2/21.

I recognize the addiction to being alive.
Updated On: 1/26/06 at 12:00 AM

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#4re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:04am

Sounds like a great time. I'm completely jealous of everyone that gets to make it to a signing, but as long as you all have a good time, I can't be too upset re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Fantabulous428
#5re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:06am

I'll take as many pictures as my little fingers can get.

Broadway_Boy
#6re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:07am

Was that the signing in NY? If not when and where will that be?

Check out the app Todaytix if you haven't already for theatre tickets around the world. My referral code is DGHVR

surefinewhatever
#7re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:08am

it was the signing at the University of Florida. . .i have no idea about the NY one.

Fantabulous - I just wanted to say how much I love your avatar.

orangeskittles
#8re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:08am

Thanks Fantab. And if it comes to a showdown, y'all know I got your back re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF

Broadway_Boy, the NYC signing is February 21st (not January like in Fantabulous's post).

Fantabulous428
#9re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:09am

The NYC one is at Barnes and Noble at Chelsea on February 21st.

Thanks, surefinewhatever!

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#10re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:21am

That's so great. re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF

*looks at the picture in your avatar*

Aww, he has a little cut on his forehead!

Katt
#11re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:21am

I miss the NY signing by three days, and then I miss the Dallas signing because I'll still be in NY =[

surefinewhatever
#12re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:23am

aww. . . i hadn't noticed the cut!

Fantabulous428
#13re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:23am

If it had 2 more parts, it would be like a Harry Potter scar.

orangeskittles
#14re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:24am

Heh, Mandi, before I went to look at the full picture, your post kind of scared me. I was like "Wow, that's some GOOD eyesight!"

He drinks Fiji water. Just when I thought he couldn't get any more awesome re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF

Katt, I'm in the same situation, I'm missing NYC, DC and Philly all by a matter of days re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF

Fantabulous428
#15re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:26am

I love the girls in the background - they look like they're ready to attack!

And once again, a good fashion choice by Anthony, at least from the waist up.

Updated On: 1/26/06 at 12:26 AM

orangeskittles
#16re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:28am

I love how they're all posed to take pictures of the back of his head.

Ooo, I have a gold purse like that girl's. But I've only used it once.

Updated On: 1/26/06 at 12:28 AM

luvtheEmcee
#17re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:29am

Well, someone has good fashion sense. *cough*

Katt
#18re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:29am

I was all excited about Dallas too, because it would be a holiday and my mom said I could go. Dallas is six hours away, but I have a friend there that I'm dying to have an excuse to go see.

::Sigh:: Oh well.

orangeskittles
#19re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:31am

Heh. Em, he so needs to be on Queer Eye.

luvtheEmcee
#20re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:32am

I'm sorry, I had to say it.

Fiji Water is fun.

Updated On: 1/26/06 at 12:32 AM

surefinewhatever
#21re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:34am

orangeskittles,

There actually was a bunch of people taking pictures of the back of his head .. .lol. Plus a bunch of people on the stairs taking pictures of the top of his head. It was eerily remniscent of the Wicked stage door. . . .

Katt
#22re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:35am

From what I've heard about the Wicked stage door...that's pretty scary if it was anything like that.

orangeskittles
#23re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:45am

Wow, a Wicked stagedoor comparison? You didn't get hurt or anything, did you? re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF

luvtheEmcee
#24re: Anthony Rapp book signing at UF
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:46am

Now I'm a little scared.

I think I'll wear bubblewrap to Chelsea.