Can Kelli O'Hara belt?

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#25re: Can Kelli O'Hara belt?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 1:21am

This is the left-field bump of the year. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#26re: Can Kelli O'Hara belt?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 1:59am

She definitely doesn't belt, I don't know what those posters from 10 years ago were thinking when they said she does.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#27re: Can Kelli O'Hara belt?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 3:27am

She can mix her face off and make it sound just as thrilling as a screlting black woman, but she is most certainly not a belter.

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#28re: Can Kelli O'Hara belt?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 2:19pm

To be fair, she did belt parts of Pajama Game and Bells Are Ringing, but no she's no belter :)

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#29re: Can Kelli O'Hara belt?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 2:24pm

Nothing more to add except that it was so weird to read my comments on this thread from TEN years ago!

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#30re: Can Kelli O'Hara belt?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 2:26pm

I agree with Ben, the lady knows how to mix her face off. it's okay that she can't belt.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#31re: Can Kelli O'Hara belt?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 4:07pm

She absolutely can belt. She doesn't often, but she can!  She's not a "belter" or a "beltress" by any means, but she definitely can belt.

theawakefallen
#32re: Can Kelli O'Hara belt?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 4:20pm

She sure sounds like she does in the At the Ballet recording with her Megan and Audra. It might not be the best, but it sounds like she is belting.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#33re: Can Kelli O'Hara belt?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 5:49pm

ehhh, not singing in head voice isn't belting.

Updated On: 7/26/16 at 05:49 PM

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#34re: Can Kelli O'Hara belt?
Posted: 7/26/16 at 7:32pm

No, she is using a blend of chest and head voice in that song. For a true musical theatre belt sound in a similar range to At The Ballet, look at Dying Ain't So Bad from Bonnie And Clyde, Rainbow High from Evita, The Wizard And I from Wicked, ect. You'll be able to find versions of women singing those songs  who are belting those notes and your ear will hear a difference between that and what Kelli is doing in that song.  

Updated On: 12/24/22 at 07:32 PM