pixeltracker

The Color Purple's Longevity: Make Way for Kristina!!- Page 2

The Color Purple's Longevity: Make Way for Kristina!!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#25re: The Color Purple's Longevity: Make Way for Kristina!!
Posted: 3/24/06 at 1:36pm

I am not a major ABBA fan but the song "The Visitors" from that album absolutely ROCKS! It is the only ABBA album I own.

Just give the world Love.

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#26re: The Color Purple's Longevity: Make Way for Kristina!!
Posted: 3/24/06 at 2:46pm

Scott,

As a huge chess fan, I look forward to this new show. B&B proved their talent in Chess. I wish this show the best.

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#27re: The Color Purple's Longevity: Make Way for Kristina!!
Posted: 3/24/06 at 2:49pm

Eastwick,

I think he didn't mean Chess still playing in Prince Edward. He mean it still playing in UK. And yes, I know a regional production happened recently.

J. Wilkes Booth
#28re: The Color Purple's Longevity: Make Way for Kristina!!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 3:42am

Orangeskittles,

Just sent you a pm, but I'll do this publicly, as well...I'm sorry if I've offended you in any way. Please accept my apologies.

Uncageg...

Yeah, I agree...The Visitors was ABBA's best album. I think if they could have hung in there a bit longer, it also would have been their biggest hit. *heavy sigh*

Sanda...

As I said to someone earlier, it is gratifying and exciting to see that ABBA fans and non-fans alike are looking forward to this upcoming production. What is heart-breaking is that the musical had to be cut from its' original four-hour length. If you've heard the music, you would understand the despair. It would be like cutting a limb off of your child.

On the other hand, there is at least one song that just wouldn't work in English, in my opinion. I could see that being cut. But a full hour? And forty cast members? (The original production was done with 68 members: the English-language version will have 28.)

Also, Sanda, thank you for clarifying on the "Chess" production in the UK. I didn't know where it was playing, just that it was.

Hoping that I don't offend anyone else now!!!

Scott *hiding*

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#29re: The Color Purple's Longevity: Make Way for Kristina!!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 3:59am

I don't understand why there's an assumption that Kristina is going to happen on Broadway in the very near future -- casting was going on this past summer for a workshop of it. I don't think it's so soon yet.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 3/25/06 at 03:59 AM

Kai
#30re: The Color Purple's Longevity: Make Way for Kristina!!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 10:55am

I think that there is still a fair amount of wishin' and hopin' involved in bringing Kristina to Broadway but that it's undeniable that plans are being laid. The plans now being officially confirmed by Benny and Björn's spokeswoman, as well as by Andersson himself.

I mean, until one is actually able to buy a ticket, anything could happen. It is nonetheless exciting for people that are looking forward to seeing the show in English, that a decade after the original show went on and after years and years of waiting, it is apparently getting closer.

I think that people in love with the original show need to get over the fact that this will be a smaller, shorter and scaled down production and that cast members and indeed characters are going to be cut. I mean, what's the choice? Have a smaller, more financially viable version of it in English or dine out on the original's glory (that very few people have ever heard of)forever more?

I know which one I'd prefer and I'm damn fed up with dining out on it!

This is a huge risk for Benny and Björn, no - let's make that HUGE RISK! But for a chance to get this musical to a broader audience, they are doing what is necessary whilst reducing the chances of a financial catastrophe.

Remember Chess on Broadway? It was one of the Great White Way’s biggest theatrical financial disasters of the 1980s. It seemed to gather almost entirely horrendous reviews. It closed after three months. And yet, Chess came hotfoot from London’s West End where it covered its backers’ investments and was a reasonable success. It also spawned a Billboard Top 10 single and came with good word-of-mouth. Regardless of Trevor Nunn ruining the London production for Broadway, it was still a better bet for Broadway success than Kristina is.

And yet, if the scaled down production of Kristina features sublime performances, tugs at the heartstrings, grips the audience, is not totally devoid of humour and is as glorious to look at as the Swedish production was, I still believe that it can pull it off in a minor way.

What I am trying to say is that a 3-hour production (and let's face it, that's not exactly short) with a smaller cast and a few songs missing from the original score does not automatically mean that watching it will be a horrendous experience and that everyone will be pining to see the Swedish original because it was meant to be so much better. In fact, it will help ensure that it's more right for Broadway (and the West End for that matter).

The only people thay may potentially feel that they are being sold short are the folk that saw the production in Sweden and come on, let's face it, it's not going to be aimed at them (and that includes me).

What's the betting that Mr. Andersson and Mr. Ulvaeus won't come up with a few new songs that can each encompass and thereby tell the story told in three or four songs from the original score? Only a guess, obviously but I wouldn't be surprised! As for characters cut, well we know there will be some and along with them, their songs i.e. The Pastor? Was he vital to the plot? The Norwegian trapper and his friends? Vital? Probably not. Were they given great songs in the original - hell, yeah but if you miss them....put on the original CDs!

This is going to be a new Kristina and I'm putting my faith in Andersson/Ulvaeus and Rudolfsson to leave intact the many comendable attributes of the original but the new show needs to be taken on its own merits. And believe me, that's exactly how the Broadway critics *will* take it!

Sleeper2 Profile Photo
Sleeper2
#31re: The Color Purple's Longevity: Make Way for Kristina!!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 12:29pm

After seeing Hedda Gabler (bleeeeechhhhhhhh!) and Festen (wretccccccccch), I'll be vomiting more than Nicole Richie if I had to sit through another Scandanavian theater piece anytime soon.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#32re: The Color Purple's Longevity: Make Way for Kristina!!
Posted: 3/25/06 at 3:03pm

yea The color purple is definately here to stay for a while re: The Color Purple's Longevity: Make Way for Kristina!!