Pirates of Penzance question...

sisterberthe Profile Photo
sisterberthe
#0Pirates of Penzance question...
Posted: 3/23/06 at 4:53pm

My history teacher loves Gilbert and Sullivan and he decided it would be a great learning experience (ha) if we watched Pirates of Penzance. So I was wondering what theater the show was performed at. The cast was:

Kevin Kline .... Pirate King
Angela Lansbury .... Ruth
Linda Ronstadt .... Mabel
George Rose .... Maj. Gen. Stanley
Rex Smith .... Frederic
Thank you!

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#1re: Pirates of Penzance question...
Posted: 3/23/06 at 4:58pm

Most of that cast performed in the 1981 production at what is now the Gershwin. Lansbury wasn't in it, however. Estelle Parsons played Ruth.

http://www.ibdb.com/production.asp?ID=4088

Gothampc
#2re: Pirates of Penzance question...
Posted: 3/23/06 at 4:58pm

The version you list (with Angela Lansbury as Ruth) was the movie version that was released to commercial movie theaters.

The show started out at the Delacorte Theatre in Central Park as part of The Public Theatre's Shakespeare in the Park. Patricia Routledge (Keeping Up Appearances) played Ruth. That version is available from Broadway Theatre Archive.

The show then moved to Broadway (Routledge was replaced by Estelle Parsons) and played the Uris Theater (now the Gershwin) and then moved to the Minskoff.

Finally, it was made into the movie with Lansbury playing Ruth.

ETA: You can watch a clip of the Shakespeare in the Park version here:

http://www.broadwayarchive.com/catalog_detail.asp?id=90050060

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 3/23/06 at 04:58 PM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#3re: Pirates of Penzance question...
Posted: 3/23/06 at 5:03pm

I saw the production live during a high school trip. The show was so small for the Gershwin (Uris) stage. I remember a small platform in the center of the stage and that's where all the action took place. On either side of the platform was two huge areas of dead space. As much as I wanted to like this show, I didn't. I couldn't understand a word that was being either sung or spoken. Their annunciation was horrible. Ironically, I purchased the cast album a few years later, and enjoyed that so much more.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#4re: Pirates of Penzance question...
Posted: 3/23/06 at 6:45pm

I saw the original production in the Park and then again when it moved to Broadway. All I can say is, get the BTA version. It's sensational; it was filmed beautifully live. Also, Patricia Routledge's Ruth is the best I've ever seen. She's monumentally better than Lansbury and Parsons (whom I felt was miscast). It's such a shame she didn't move with the show to Broadway.

Gothampc
#5re: Pirates of Penzance question...
Posted: 3/23/06 at 6:56pm

"Also, Patricia Routledge's Ruth is the best I've ever seen."

I agree. I'm not sure whether it was her decision to leave or Actor's Equity (Routledge already had a Best Actress Tony so she wasn't a stranger to Broadway) but she had the vocal chops and comic timing that Parsons didn't have. Lansbury's a bit too refined for Ruth. She had finished Sweeney Todd and I think she wanted to play a different character, but a bit of Mrs. Lovett's coarseness would have done the character well.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#6re: Pirates of Penzance question...
Posted: 3/23/06 at 7:02pm

I may go have to watch her scenes now...Damn, she was so good.

jo
#7re: Pirates of Penzance question...
Posted: 3/23/06 at 7:09pm

I also saw the version with Kevin Kline and Linda Rondstadt.

Btw, the New York City Opera is presenting a revival of PIRATES OF PENZANCE in the spring, if I am not mistaken.

Jon
#8re: Pirates of Penzance question...
Posted: 3/23/06 at 8:18pm

I believe the NYCO production is planned for the fall. They are hoping to sign Kristin Chenoweth to play Mabel.

cooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
#9re: Pirates of Penzance question...
Posted: 3/27/06 at 10:33am

actually the NYCO prod is planned for March 3 through 31, 2007

-Politics is like driving. To go backward, put it in R. To go forward, put it in D.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#10re: Pirates of Penzance question...
Posted: 3/27/06 at 11:48am

Yes, NYCO will be doing Pirates in March of 07. Myrna Paris, who played Lady Jane in Patience last September, is signed to play Ruth.

elmore3003
#11re: Pirates of Penzance question...
Posted: 3/27/06 at 12:50pm

Friends of mine in the original cast told me that Routledge was going through a something and didn't seems to enjoy being in the production. It was her decision to leave, I believe.

sognatora Profile Photo
sognatora
#12re: Pirates of Penzance question...
Posted: 3/27/06 at 1:00pm

ooh, i'm in the middle of performance of "Pirates of Penzance" in Ramsey, NJ! We have three more shows, March 30, 31, and April 1.

Videos