Harry Potter the musical

WhenURScrap Profile Photo
WhenURScrap
#0Harry Potter the musical
Posted: 4/4/06 at 4:48pm

Okay, no one throw anything at me ...

Since the Harry Potter films came out I have been throwing around the idea of what Harry Potter would be like as a musical ... Could it happen? Would it be good? What do you guys think?

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#1re: Harry Potter the musical
Posted: 4/4/06 at 4:52pm

Talk about special effects on Broadway...

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#2re: Harry Potter the musical
Posted: 4/4/06 at 4:54pm

If it ever opens I bet i will be able to put it on the Worst Show Ever thread.

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#3re: Harry Potter the musical
Posted: 4/4/06 at 4:56pm

No.

The reason is that it would have to adapt seven three-hour, or near that length at least, movies into a single three hour Broadway Musical. It just couldn't work out. It would plod along all the time, and the creators would have to cut a LOT of important aspects out of the story out, or drastically change it. As much as I love the movies, I just don't think that the story would work out as a musical. And if it did, it would probably be like the current Lors of the Rings stage show up in Toronto. Great visuals that take away from an interesting, but long story that has a lot cut out. If they did that, the show would be hard to understand to people who aren't familiar with the story.

That's my opinion.

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#4re: Harry Potter the musical
Posted: 4/4/06 at 5:00pm

Ahhhhhhhhh Runnn awayyyyyy!
I love HP and I love musicals, but no,nooooooo!

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#5re: Harry Potter the musical
Posted: 4/4/06 at 5:00pm

I think it would be hard to compress all that material into one 2 1/2 - 3 hour musical. Unless they were to do a musical of each book, which I doubt would happen.

On the other hand, part of me wonders how it would be if it actually did get pulled off. For intance, it would be interesting to see how (or for that matter, if at all) a director would portray Quidditch on stage. The show would definatly be a spectacle. I think there would definatly have to be top - notch creative team, including an excellent book writer and director, in order to attempt a Harry Potter musical.

I seriously doubt it would happen, but I guess you never know. Two years ago, I wouldn't have thought a Lord of The Rings musical was possible.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#6re: Harry Potter the musical
Posted: 4/4/06 at 5:04pm

You never know. I willing to give anything a try; it could be very good or terrible.

BrianWilsonFan
#8re: Harry Potter the musical
Posted: 4/4/06 at 5:47pm

Where there's a will there's a way.
It's just a matter of time: - )

today4u:proofpositiv
#9re: Harry Potter the musical
Posted: 4/4/06 at 5:54pm

I have to agree with Piazzaslight. Sine HP is so popular there would be alot of pressure on the cast, crew, production people etc. to make the show a big deal (like LOTR) and so much would get lost.

zannadont
#10re: Harry Potter the musical
Posted: 4/4/06 at 5:55pm

(as a keel over in a heart attack)

LALALALALALAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Sproutie69
#11re: Harry Potter the musical
Posted: 4/4/06 at 6:46pm

Kids would love it

HoshiForever Profile Photo
HoshiForever
#12re: Harry Potter the musical
Posted: 4/4/06 at 6:46pm

::Throws up all over keyboard::

...that would be a disgrace to both Hp and musical theatre

TheaterAddict7652
#13re: Harry Potter the musical
Posted: 4/4/06 at 7:27pm

Would it ever happen? It's possible. In my opinion, it really depends if LOTR is successful or not. If it is, there is a better chance- I mean both are very popular book series than have been adapted to EXTREMELY successful movies. If LOTR isn't a success, then I doubt it.
Would it be good? No. Some of the visual effects might be great, but other parts of the book (like Qudditch, as James885 metioned) might not work out as well on the stage. The whole show would be terrible plot-wise, as it is impossible to put 7 novels worth of plot into a 2 1/2- 3 hour show.

There's a lot I am not certain of...

stephz
#14re: Harry Potter the musical
Posted: 4/4/06 at 7:29pm

I love HP and all but I think some things are just not meant to be a musical and this is one of them.

ThePinballWizard Profile Photo
ThePinballWizard
#15re: Harry Potter the musical
Posted: 4/4/06 at 7:32pm

Well they can always just do it like Nicholas Nickelby and just create:

Harry Potter - The Musical
Running Time: 15 hours

Wouldn't that be interesting, I think my butt would hurt...

"Isn't it strange that we spend most of our time learning to do what they put people in asylums for." - Jane Fonda on Acting

Videos