King David

firescape Profile Photo
firescape
#0King David
Posted: 4/10/06 at 4:44pm

Does anyone know why Disney never chose to do anything with this musical other than a premier concert and recording to reopen the New Amsterdam? I would really like to know if there are any plans for this show. I paid a hefty amount to buy the cd of the premier recording from someone. The show was written by Alen Menken and Tim Rice if I am not mistaken. For anyone who has not heard the music.....It is really good. I also wonder if there is anyway to get the rights to do it.

Caleb
#1re: King David
Posted: 4/10/06 at 7:12pm

I too think the score is radiant, although there are a lot of people who found it very boring, which I disagree with but completely understand.

As far as I know, it was only meant to be a limited engagement. Also, the piece is not a musical: it's an oratorio. It's music is strongly in a music theatre style, but that's not what it really is when it's all put together. I've heard that Alan Menken and Tim Rice plan to adapt it into a more suitable work for the stage, but I can't really say if that's true or not.

Beyond that, I'd assume the reasons for not producing it further are, like usual, financial. I don't think people are looking for big, Biblical stage epics. The piece requires a large cast, large chorus, and large orchestra to really be done right, and that costs a lot of money. Despite my love for the music, I can't see it being commercially sucessful, although I'd love for someone to come along and prove me wrong.

As for rights, the only other production I know of that has been done was in Texas last year. I don't know how that came to be, but I assume it was in special arrangement with the authors or with Disney.

Amber_C2003
#2re: King David
Posted: 4/10/06 at 7:48pm

Disney had two options: move forward with either King David or Aida (which was also in development at the time).

You can guess which one they chose.

firescape Profile Photo
firescape
#3re: King David
Posted: 4/10/06 at 8:02pm

Although I am fully aware why Disney has chosen such a "hands off" approach to Biblical stories I laud Dreamworks for embracing some of them. Some of the most amazing stories are found throughout the Bible. For that fact and also that David is a historical character I think warrants it to be a great candidate for a stage show. I want them to do it and I also want to see Prince of Egypt staged.

Caleb
#4re: King David
Posted: 4/10/06 at 9:12pm

I totally agree with you. Regardless of your religious beliefs, the Bible has some incredible stories, with David's being towards the top of the list. I'm especially fascinated with the psychology of the relationship between David and Saul.

TheEnchantedHunter
#5re: King David
Posted: 4/10/06 at 11:01pm

Because it's dreadful.

Vivian Darkbloom
Ramsdale, New England

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#6re: King David
Posted: 4/11/06 at 12:15am

oh shhhh, it's not DREADFUL.

I actually like the score a lot, but in the form it took for the Broadway engagement, it wasn't quite, like others said, in the form of a viable musical yet. I'm sure with tinkering (and cuts, 'cause the darn thing's a bit overdrawn...or...boring, whatever) the show could be very good.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

pandajen14 Profile Photo
pandajen14
#7re: King David
Posted: 4/11/06 at 1:32am

I like the score to King David more than Aida, but Aida definitely fits in more with the Disney line-up. And Pinguin, I definitely agree- not in Broadway format yet.

I wouldn't call it dreadful by any stretch of the imagination. And the cast they assembled was great- I found out recently that Hunter Foster was understudying Roger Bart (::points at avatar:: I love that man! ^_^).

"Writing should be easy, like a monkey driving a speedboat..." -[title of show] "I'm tired of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and meet up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg

firescape Profile Photo
firescape
#8re: King David
Posted: 4/11/06 at 9:37am

Yeah anyone who knows anything about music and its complexities and who enjoys beautiful music certainly would never think this recording was dreadful. Being someone who is currently studying the Old Testament professionaly i admire the lyrics as well. They are very thoughtful to the original source and very wisely chosen and placed. Unless someone saw that performance there is no way to know or comment on anything other than the cd.

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#9re: King David
Posted: 4/11/06 at 10:40am

The show, as far as one can notice by the recording, is quite well conceived but the score is not really more than merely nice and somewhat Menken-ish epic. Maybe they make a TV special of it someday, I'd think it would work better that way.

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#10re: King David
Posted: 4/11/06 at 1:29pm

It was a terribly dull show live. The CD makes it seem far more effective than it was. There are some solid enough tunes and it's some of Rice's best recent stuff but, overall, it would take serious reworking and rewriting to significantly improve.

The whole thing felt like Menken bit off more than he can chew as a composer.

bill mobley
#11re: King David
Posted: 4/11/06 at 2:09pm

Many of the comments I've read so far put into words what I felt when I first heard the broadway soundtrack of "Chess." There were some boring parts for me. But this is my first time hearing about "King David." I'd love to get a copy. Is it on CD?

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#12re: King David
Posted: 4/11/06 at 2:12pm

The King David CD is out of print and tends to go for about $70 and up on ebay.

But it is out there.

firescape Profile Photo
firescape
#13re: King David
Posted: 4/11/06 at 3:55pm

you are right it is out there. And I also have it. Although I dont think it would take 70 dollars to obtain. Thanks to the digital age!!!

pandajen14 Profile Photo
pandajen14
#14re: King David
Posted: 4/11/06 at 5:16pm

I've seen it go for over 70 bucks. It's one of the rarest recordings out there.

"Writing should be easy, like a monkey driving a speedboat..." -[title of show] "I'm tired of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and meet up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg

Flahooley Profile Photo
Flahooley
#15re: King David
Posted: 4/11/06 at 5:18pm

I heard Patti LuPone sing NEVER AGAIN at a Hollywood Bowl concert years ago. I fell in love with the song and was surprised to learn it was from KING DAVID - Bible musicals on the whole bore me - so I went out and got a copy of the cd. Turns out it is the only song in the show that I like...but what a great song!

Bwaybaby109
#16re: King David
Posted: 4/11/06 at 5:23pm

the recording was up on alanmenken.org like 2 months ago for free downloads for ALL the songs! I dont know why its not up right now but I was so happy to not have to buy an expensive recording of it. If anyone wants the tracks you are welcome to PM me. The songs are really great.

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"

#17re: King David
Posted: 4/11/06 at 5:25pm

Unlike other musicals involving the Bible (Children of Eden, Jesus Christ Superstar), King David follows its events not only accurately, but at times verbatim - because of that, I think it works better as an oratorio/concert rather than a theatrical piece. The concern isn't so much with telling an engaging story through song and dance and staging, but rather, setting the story of David to music.

IMO, a much under-appreciated score, and especially the performances of Marcus Lovett, Alice Ripley, and Judy Kuhn.

Videos