News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for bill mobley

bill mobley Profile Photo
Member Name: bill mobley
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Re: Unpopular Opinions
 Sep 25 2009, 04:35:13 PM
Well I thought I chose a safe person (Shakespeare) to have unpopular opinions about. Anybody can have an unpopular opinion about Shakespeare and nobody would really care.

Re: Unpopular Opinions
 Sep 22 2009, 06:46:18 PM
Unpopular Opinions

I find that in Shakespeare plays, the deaths are often too convenient, and sometimes too numerous.
Also I don't completely buy Lady Macbeth's descent into guilt after her husband's crime. For me it's a total change of who she was at the beginning.

re: Songs That Make You Cry No Matter How Many Times You Listen to them....
 Jun 4 2007, 09:56:08 AM
I have some non-broadway songs also.
The gospel singer Sandi Patti's song "In Heavens Eyes" makes me come to tears most times that I hear it. "In Heavens Eyes there are no losers."

But Janis Ian's rumination of outcast girls (and even boys) of the high school world of the 50's and 60's also does it:

It was long ago and far away
the world was younger than today
when dreams were all they gave for free
to ugly duckling girls like me

Sniff sniff. <

re: Metropolitan Opera in addition to Broadway
 Jan 16 2007, 10:53:02 PM
I hate that Kathleen Battle literally thru her career away.
re: What musical should be made into a movie next?
 Jan 16 2007, 10:35:18 PM
I've always wanted to see a movie version of "On The Twentieth Century." Although people disagree with me I think that Twentieth Century would work as a cartoon. I can just see a glamorous type couple singing "Our Private World" to each other. But people tell me "Twentieth Century's themes are too grownup for animation. But can't you see "Mrs. Primrose is a nut" being done in animation?

One might consider doing "Camelot" in animation also.

But what do I know?

re: Most Emotionally Satisfying Showtunes?
 Jan 7 2007, 01:29:30 AM
"Oh pity, a woman alone, with limited means, and the worst pies in London. Ah...sir, times is hard, times is hard."
Angela Lansberry seemed to know that Mrs. Lovett was being more serious here than the lyrics imply. And for me this part of the song has always been moving.

re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
 Jan 7 2007, 01:11:37 AM
David Justice (the baseball player who was once married to Halle Berry)would make a good Brick (If he could act). Paul Newman was a great choice for Brick in the film version, even though the movie left out the homosexual stuff about Skipper, which we needed to know about.
Brick has got to be sort of good looking. For example, if this was going to be a white version, Keanu Reeves would be a great choice. Brick is a little macho, a little dumb, a little slow, but with southern charm. Keanu

Jan 7 2007, 01:11:30 AM
David Justice (the baseball player who was once married to Halle Berry)would make a good Brick (If he could act). Paul Newman was a great choice for Brick in the film version, even though the movie left out the homosexual stuff about Skipper, which we needed to know about.
Brick has got to be sort of good looking. For example, if this was going to be a white version, Keanu Reeves would be a great choice. Brick is a little macho, a little dumb, a little slow, but with southern charm. Keanu

Jan 7 2007, 01:11:30 AM

Jan 7 2007, 01:11:29 AM

re: What is the worst review you can give a show?
 Nov 26 2006, 12:31:22 AM
My favorite comes from a movie review:
Name of movie "A Fine Mess"
Critic review: "A wretched mess.

re: Mary Poppins Movie: What Didn't Make It...
 Nov 19 2006, 02:55:52 PM
I'm sorry that Sister Suffragette was left out. Ok, I know it's a little silly, but it's a fun song. In the relatively comic-strip world of Mary Poppins, the song was perfect.
"Well done, Sister Suffragette!"

re: I have always wondered...
 Oct 8 2006, 01:52:48 PM
Cooolkid
I agree on Phantom. The book is just boring (not the novel though, even though it's not too great either). And what bothers me is why did they play down the mask and the revelation of the disfigurement. I think the audience needs the jolt of a chilling face behind the mask. It would, at least, seem more tragic.

re: Your Top 5 Favorite Showtunes
 Oct 8 2006, 12:49:56 AM
Everyday A Little Death (A Little Night Music)
The Miller's Son (A Little Night Music)
Something Wonderful (The King and I)
Shall We Dance? (The King and I)
How could a fellow love a girl like her? (Cinderella)

re: Shows you love to hate and you hate to love
 Sep 27 2006, 09:24:48 AM
Love to hate
Guys and Dolls
Sweet Charity
Carousel (especially the main theme in the overture)

Hate to Love
The King and I (the most delightful song, and I grew up listening to R&B, rock, etc., is "Shall We Dance).

re: Is it rude to not include a SASE if...
 Sep 22 2006, 01:19:40 PM
From a person that's sent many short stories and plays to magazines and theatres, and included many SASE, and still get no responses (and when I do it is a form letter), I'll say no, it is not rude if you don't include one, especially in this case. Now if you were submitting a play or a short story, that's different.
re: Favorite Cheesy Movie Musicalized
 Sep 20 2006, 09:26:28 AM
Maximum Overdrive
The Cable Guy

jukebox musicals you would actually see?
 Sep 19 2006, 01:31:27 PM
"Fifth Dimensions" (They did a lot of Laura Nyro songs). I picture five African American characters, chosen in the same way the characters were chosen for the tv show Charlie's Angels, because they just look good.

Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir

Somebody mentioned Joni Mitchell. A good choice. I can see somebody doing a rather nervous rendition of "People's Parties" on stage.

re: Movie Musical
 Sep 17 2006, 11:56:41 PM
Bye Bye Birdie
My Fair Lady
Cinderella
The Producers (everyone has they're own opinion about what they want from a movie musical. Me, I don't mind a literal filming of the stage show. You risk losing the spirit of the musical if you change too much.)

re: Respected singers whose voices grate your nerves
 Sep 11 2006, 02:01:54 PM
Every time some singer wants to have a rollicking good time (in a play or some variety show on TV) they trot out some gospel choir who really sounds quite horrid, yet the audience jumps to their feet clapping their hands. And this goes on for quite some time, before the curtain falls.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You