A White Black Guy In Hairspray?

WarnTheDuke Profile Photo
WarnTheDuke
#0A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 12:02am

Hi All!

So I saw Hairspray tonight, and when I opened up the Playbill, three understudy notices fell out for Tracy, Prudy and Sketch. Fine, I love watching understudies go on. However, when the show started, I noticed that the character of "Tammy" was strangely missing and replaced by a character named "Tommy" who I had never seen or heard of before and also the black guy who always carries around the radio was replaced by a white guy (who was a fabulous dancer, but ultimately white). It was great to watch, but now I'm so confused.

Can someone tell me why there wouldn't be an understudy/swing available for Tammy and why there wouldn't be a black understudy/swing available for a black role?

Thanks!

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#1re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 12:07am

not enough understudys to go around?

I have heard many people occasionaly getting a Tommy - when an alternate girl can not go on.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

PJ
#2re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 12:17am

A few weeks ago at the 'spray, so many people were out that they actually had to cut some scenes/songs. I think they need a few more swings in that company because this is just sad.

respeck Profile Photo
respeck
#3re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 12:20am

Must be a flu going around or something!

Where is missed-half-a-performance-Harvey when you need him?

WarnTheDuke
#4re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 12:24am

Wow, which scenes and songs did they cut? Are they even allowed to do that?

PJ
#5re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 12:27am

Not sure. I wasn't working that night, I only heard from co-workers.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#6re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 12:43am

Wow, a WHITE guy played the role of "the black guy who always carries around the radio"? It has been a while since I have seen the show but that is a pretty major role, isn't it? I can only think of two reasons this may have happened. One is that there just aren't enough talented "black guys" in New York. The second reason, and this is a long shot, but stay with me, is that IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER!!! I am happy the message of the show wasn't lost on you, however. Now would you mind defining "ultimately" white?

PEACE.

respeck Profile Photo
respeck
#7re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 12:45am

What's next? Blacks dancing on a white tv show!

WarnTheDuke
#8re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 12:50am

Thanks so much for your thoughts SueleenGay! Somehow, I managed to follow your extemely wordy, complicated post.

In a show that contains a topic such as integration, it usually serves the plot to have the black characters be played by black actors and the white characters played by white actors, however small the role is, otherwise what's the point? If I follow your skewed logic, then a character such as Mrs. Von Tussle could be played by a black actress and Motormouth Maybelle could be played by a white actress, because in the end, "It just doesn't matter." I was actually thinking I may audition for the role of Tracy soon because despite being a black male myself, I feel that the producers will see past all that because "It just doesn't matter." Thanks for your input!

P.S. "Ultimately" white needs no further clarification unless you're dense.

Updated On: 5/3/06 at 12:50 AM

respeck Profile Photo
respeck
#9re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 12:59am

Guys chill!

Rememeber. While his skin may be white, his soul is black!

WarnTheDuke
#10re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 1:01am

Don't worry Respeck, it's all in fun! Thanks for trying to keep the peace.

pandajen14 Profile Photo
pandajen14
#11re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 1:05am

respeck- the first time I saw the original movie I think I swallowed my gum on that line XD!

"Writing should be easy, like a monkey driving a speedboat..." -[title of show] "I'm tired of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and meet up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg

respeck Profile Photo
respeck
#12re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 1:10am

Haha! I know!! I'm so glade they kept that rat in the stage play too, and right in the opening number!

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#13re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 1:37am

I saw a white guy (Ryan Wilson, if I remember correctly) go on as a black guy twice in Toronto. There weren't any black male swings.

Akiva

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#14re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 1:42am

I am sure where it matters to the plot the characters would be played by race appropriate actors. My point is that it was "a guy with a radio" NOT Tracy or Mrs. Von Tussle.

PEACE.

DG
#15re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 1:44am

"extemely wordy, complicated post."

You have GOT to be kidding me! The only words used in that post were the ones necessary to make it obvious what an immature, bigoted creep you are. And if that was actually complicated for you, feel free to add ignorant to the list.

RentBoy86
#16re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 1:44am

Don't you think when they cast the show, they think about this? I dunno, just seems like whoever did the hiring sorta messed up.

PS
When I read the topic, I thought you meant there was an albino in the show. haha. i was like "cool!" (is that how you spell albino?) Updated On: 5/3/06 at 01:44 AM

Link Larkin Wanabe
#17re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 1:45am

And to be fair they handled it really well and sort of made it a joke. He was trying to be all wiggerish and they were just laughing at him. They didn't completely ignore the fact that he was white.

Akiva

DG
#18re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 1:48am

Akiva - at the risk of my blood pressure - possibly even my heart itself - may I ask what you meant by 'wiggerish'?

Link Larkin Wanabe
#19re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 1:50am

Hah...now that i think about it I may get into trouble for using that word...not sure how politcally correct it is....but it is a really white suburban kid who pretends to be from the ghetto, but fails miserably.

Akiva

RentBoy86
#20re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 1:51am

ha, no need to be P.C. on these boards. "Wigger" would be the noun form of the word.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#21re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 1:52am

Let me guess, it is a mix of the word "white" and "Jigger"?

PEACE.

Link Larkin Wanabe
#22re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 1:55am

exactly. (wouldn't wanna give DG a heart attack)

Akiva
Updated On: 5/3/06 at 01:55 AM

DG
#23re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 1:59am

Wow.

I'm kind of stuck in the whole 'message of the show' thing that Sueleen mentioned. It's definitely best if I just shut up.

Link Larkin Wanabe
#24re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 2:00am

Hah...I think if anyone needed to shut up it should have been me.

Akiva

Videos