News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Cadillac Palace Chicago seating

The Goat
#0Cadillac Palace Chicago seating
Posted: 5/19/06 at 9:36pm

I want to buy tickets to "The Pirate Queen" as a treat for two friends I am staying with in Chicago in November. The best they had for the performance I wanted was the first row, center. For those Chicago board members who are familiar with the Cadillac Palace Theatre, would these seats really be a "treat" for my friends and I or will they cause us to need treatment for neck sprain and/or dizziness from too high a stage or being at too close quarters?

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#1re: Cadillac Palace Chicago seating
Posted: 5/19/06 at 10:20pm

hard to say because of the show...I would take them but be careful because I'm guessing the show will be very BIG and it may be that your too close to take it all in...but i'm all about first row...so I'd take it...I love the Cadillac Palace!

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#2re: Cadillac Palace Chicago seating
Posted: 5/19/06 at 10:33pm

Last time I was there it was a catering hall for the Bismarck Hotel (as it was named than ) & it had no seats & horrible hanging sound fixtures

It has been awhile

Poster Emeritus

brdlwyr
#3re: Cadillac Palace Chicago seating
Posted: 5/19/06 at 10:48pm

Goat, I was also offered those seats. I saw in Row B for the horrible Rent tour, and my memory is that the orchestra railing is too close to the seats.

Roxy, we had the bar review course in the Bismark. It was dirty and scary, the Palace is nice now!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#4re: Cadillac Palace Chicago seating
Posted: 5/19/06 at 10:52pm

It has to be with seats, running shows & no hanging sound fixtures

Would love to see it now

Poster Emeritus

brdlwyr
#5re: Cadillac Palace Chicago seating
Posted: 5/19/06 at 10:59pm

There were rock concerts there in the 80's and early 90's.

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#6re: Cadillac Palace Chicago seating
Posted: 5/19/06 at 11:38pm

I've been in front row at the Cadillac a couple of times (and will be for the Pirate Queen, too!) and I absolutely love it. Of course, I would rather be close and be able to see distinct facials and feel like I'm in the show rather than seeing the "big picture", which I know a lot of people like.

As a treat for your friends, I would definitley say front row, though. How often do you get to sit front row center at a show?! :)

TheBoyfromChi Profile Photo
TheBoyfromChi
#7re: Cadillac Palace Chicago seating
Posted: 5/20/06 at 12:19am

I would not sit front row. I sat front row during the Sweet Charity pre Broadway run and my neck was never more sore. I saw just about everything, so you won't miss out on what is going on onstage if you sit in the front row. Back in December I sat in row G for Hairspray and it was much more comfortable for me. If you sit anywhere in the first eight rows towards the middle of the row, you'll be just fine.

"I hope you're all happy, keeping Alan off the team. Couldn't you, for once, open your minds and hearts and hear something that he couldn't see? I, for one, am glad that Alan is blind, so he can't see what, I am so sad to say, you can't hear." -Jerri Blank

The Goat
#8re: Cadillac Palace Chicago seating
Posted: 5/21/06 at 9:35pm

Thanks to all of you who weighed in on the front row of the Cadillac Palace. I guess I'm just going to have to blow my surprise and ask my friends if they are about "the big picture" or about being up close and personal with the performers, as it looks as if there is a split decision about this theatre's first row among you all! Glad to hear that the Palace is such a nice theatre in general, though.

#9re: Cadillac Palace Chicago seating
Posted: 5/22/06 at 8:15am

The Palace is Lovely-- Especially if you remember the Bismarck (Perhaps most infamous for hosting "Frankie goes to Hollywood" at the peak of their fame; The crowd was so spirited (and the theatre so decrepit) that part of the floor collapsed mid-show. No one was hurt, happily and it only added to the Frankie Mystique).

I have never sat front row at the Palace, but can tell you that I have sat in the LAST row a few times and have never had problems seeing. It's a big place and you can usually pick up those upper balcony seats for about $35.

Of course it's not really "bragworthy" but it's a good way to check out a show you're curious about.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#10re: Cadillac Palace Chicago seating
Posted: 5/25/06 at 3:15am

I'm a little slow on the answer, but here's my input.

Now I saw Chicago front row center here, which granted isn't a big show but: the glorious thing about the Cadillac's front row is it seriously is about 6 feet from the orch pit, and then the orchestra pit is obviously a few feet from the stage. So NO, the front row is def. NOT too close. It's not like the Oriental where the conducter is in your lap!

knowing this, I bought front row seats for the Pirate Queen....I love Cad's front row :)

so I'm sure you will too!

Enjoy the show!! we have so long to wait....lol

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

DirtyRottenGirl Profile Photo
DirtyRottenGirl
#11re: Cadillac Palace Chicago seating
Posted: 5/25/06 at 8:30am

I was at the Palace just last Sunday and we were trying to figure out where we were going to sit for Pirate Queen. In my opinion at all cost try not to get tickets in the back of the theatre not because you wouldn't be able to see but because sound quality isn't the best. My suggestion is either 9 or 10 rows back, center on the first floor or in the loge which is the front of the balcony. The balcony dips down so much you are at a great eye line with the actors.

The Goat
#12re: Cadillac Palace Chicago seating
Posted: 5/25/06 at 2:18pm

Well, StephanietheStar and DirtyRottenGirl, you have, between you, continued the split vote on the first row (or not) of the Cadillac Palace. Personally, I have been a "the closer the better" person for years now, but, have recently been finding the "taking the whole stage in" position more and more appealing, especially with big musicals. Front rows are best for "diva" performances--that is when you have come to see a show for one of the stars (male or female) and not really for much of anything else. But, then, we have La Block (Stephanie J.) in this, so. . . If it were up to me, I'd be in a split vote quandry all by myself on "The Pirate Queen" at the Palace. So I finally contacted my friends, one of whom goes for the diva seating and one for the whole stage seating. I cast the deciding vote (diva seating, swayed by StephanietheStar's assertion that the front row is some six feet back at the Palace) and we are in the center of the first row. Thanks to you all for your advice, which I passed on to my friends before they voted on seats. And, yes, we do have a long wait until November, but with Block as a Pirate Queen I have high hopes for the show.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#13re: Cadillac Palace Chicago seating
Posted: 5/25/06 at 2:26pm

I got second row center of the Loge, which to me, is ideal seating for any of the large-scale musicals. I wouldn't mind first row orchestra for something like Falsettos, but for the big shows, I like to get a view of the whole stage, especially for the lighting.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#14re: Cadillac Palace Chicago seating
Posted: 5/25/06 at 5:12pm

Glad to be of help :)

It really does depend on where you like to sit, but I'm sure you won't regret the front row center choice! nor would I regret balcony, but....front row is just...fabulous :)

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

Videos