pixeltracker

Wedding Singer mini-review (6/14 matinee)

Wedding Singer mini-review (6/14 matinee)

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#0Wedding Singer mini-review (6/14 matinee)
Posted: 6/15/06 at 10:29am

So, I saw The Wedding Singer for the second time yesterday. The theatre was PACKED.

This show definitely has the most energetic cast of any I've ever seen. I think that's part of what makes the show so much fun. The cast is happy and obviously having a ball, and it's kind of contagious.

I know that a lot of people still think that Laura Benanti is "miscast" as Julia, but she really has grown into the role (I saw the show in previews also, and there is a big difference). Her Julia is adorable and sweet.

Stephen Lynch is fantastic. 'Nuff said.

Amy Spanger is great. She has such a gorgeous voice. She seemed a little off during "Right in Front of Your Eyes." She totally missed the note for "annoyed" at the beginning, and it was really noticeable (at least to me). Other than that, she was great.

Felicia Finley is hysterical. Her "psycho" Linda is perfect. She did mess up one line though. She went "When I app-... When I applied to DeVry..." She managed to keep it together, even though she was fighting not to laugh.

To sum it all up, the show is fantastic.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

xxnewgirlxx Profile Photo
xxnewgirlxx
#1re: Wedding Singer mini-review (6/14 matinee)
Posted: 6/15/06 at 10:48am

Thanks..seeing the show for the first time on July 1. After the Tonys performance, I can't wait...

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#2re: Wedding Singer mini-review (6/14 matinee)
Posted: 6/15/06 at 11:45am

I am also excited about seeing this show. I waited too long this year to buy a lot of my tickets and was unable to get seats to Jersey Boys for the night I could go (unless I paid premium prices) so I bought discounted tickets to The Wedding Singer instead. At first I was worried that the show wouldn't even be around long enough for me to see it, or that it wasn't very good. After watching the performance on the Tonys and reading all these comments I don't feel so bad about not getting JB tickets anymore. I might have more fun at TWS anyway.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

xxnewgirlxx Profile Photo
xxnewgirlxx
#3re: Wedding Singer mini-review (6/14 matinee)
Posted: 6/15/06 at 11:48am

I'm actually seeing Jersey Boys and Wedding Singer on the same day. I'm visiting from Chicago, though, so I have to squeeze shows in whenever I can. Seeing DRS one last time the next day... :)

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#4re: Wedding Singer mini-review (6/14 matinee)
Posted: 6/15/06 at 12:45pm

I too am seeing "The Wedding Singer" and "Jersey Boys" on the same day during my trip on July 12th (I'll be at the JB mat and the WS evening performance.) My only concern (and maybe someone can address this) is that for TWS I have seats in Center Orch Row B, and I have been told the stage at the Hirschfeld is quite high... will that be a problem?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

.LittleWing. 0224 Profile Photo
.LittleWing. 0224
#5re: Wedding Singer mini-review (6/14 matinee)
Posted: 6/15/06 at 12:54pm

i hear it was a sold out house that 6/14 matinee you saw!

NJgirl
#6re: Wedding Singer mini-review (6/14 matinee)
Posted: 6/15/06 at 1:42pm

somethingwicked, I had center orch row B seats...toward the left side of the row and we were fine. Yes the stage is alot higher than it was for Charity...but we could see everything..even Robbie crawling on the floor. Though im sure it helped that my friend and I are on the taller side. You may miss feet...but if you are directly center...I don't know if you can see Robbie crawling into the bed all that well.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#7re: Wedding Singer mini-review (6/14 matinee)
Posted: 6/15/06 at 3:48pm

somethingwicked- Not a problem at all. I had center orchestra row AA (the first time, yesterday I was in row A), and I could see just fine.

LittleWing- It definitely looked to be sold out.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#8re: Wedding Singer mini-review (6/14 matinee)
Posted: 6/15/06 at 4:01pm

the show is adorable. And Laura is really great in the role. I also love tina though too =)

aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#9re: Wedding Singer mini-review (6/14 matinee)
Posted: 6/15/06 at 4:06pm

I think the show is fine, but there was definitely at least one missed comedic opportunity. During all f the grandma's letter, I wanted her to break out into the heavy metal type of song that was Felicia's letter. I would have been PERFECT.

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#10re: Wedding Singer mini-review (6/14 matinee)
Posted: 6/15/06 at 4:11pm

somethingwicked, how ironic...I am also going to be at the July 12th evening performance of The Wedding Singer! I will be relatively close to you as well since I will be sitting ORCH LEFT ROW C. Maybe I will see you there!

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

idinarocksmysocks!510 Profile Photo
idinarocksmysocks!510
#11re: Wedding Singer mini-review (6/14 matinee)
Posted: 6/15/06 at 4:11pm

i got the cd a week before the tonys and i saw the performance and i'm hooked. glad u liked the show. i really want to see it now.

you say i'm weird! look at everyone you're sitting with! and hey, those guys over there just threw napkins up in the air like they were on something! it's contajous! you can't help it!

RentBoy86
#12re: Wedding Singer mini-review (6/14 matinee)
Posted: 6/15/06 at 4:23pm

Why is the stage so much higher? Is it because they use the orchestra pit for various entrances?

Videos