Dreamgirls test screening

CurtisTaylorJr2 Profile Photo
CurtisTaylorJr2
#0Dreamgirls test screening
Posted: 7/14/06 at 10:28pm

On the IMDB message boards, someone posted there was a test screening for the movie in Emeryville, CA. This was confirmed on the IMDB boards by someone close to the movie and this is what they said happened:

*There was sustained applause from almost the entire audience at the end of AND I AM TELLING YOU.... A few people down front actually stood up.

*There was sustained applause from almost the entire audience at the end of the movie.

*There was sustained applause from almost the entire audience for Eddie's and Jennifer's 'cards' at the end of movie.

silent
#1re: Dreamgirls test screening
Posted: 7/14/06 at 10:33pm

Jennifer and Eddie get the most reaction yet they're the ones going to be pushed in the Supporting categories come Oscar time.

Very interesting....

LOL!

Jimmy IS definitely supporting but Effie Melody White ain't nobody's supporting character. She'd probably laugh at the mere thought of it. Updated On: 7/14/06 at 10:33 PM

silent
#2re: Dreamgirls test screening
Posted: 7/14/06 at 10:34pm

And "Ain't No Party" has definitely been cut!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3re: Dreamgirls test screening
Posted: 7/14/06 at 10:41pm

Was it either "Heavy" or "It's All Over" that was cut from the film as well?

CurtisTaylorJr2
#4re: Dreamgirls test screening
Posted: 7/14/06 at 10:42pm

The fight scene in "Heavy" was cut, but "It's All Over" is in

Jordan Catalano
#5re: Dreamgirls test screening
Posted: 7/14/06 at 10:48pm

That's so ridiculous. It's such a crucial point in the story and also my favorite song. It's a shame moments like

"I don't care! Let 'em hear! Let 'em all heeeeeeeeeaaaaar!!!!"

won't be in this film, yet new songs written for Beyonce will be.

Fiction Writer Profile Photo
Fiction Writer
#6re: Dreamgirls test screening
Posted: 7/14/06 at 10:52pm

Sometimes ya gotta cut.

Was Beyonce not going to do it unless she got new material?

Jordan Catalano
#7re: Dreamgirls test screening
Posted: 7/14/06 at 10:53pm

Also, I just watched a behind the scenes thing on youtube and was very upset to find these lines SPOKEN -

"I kept wondering about my girl, Effie. I kept wondering is she allright. Are you all right?

"I'm happy now, Deena"

no no no no no. They're ruining my favorite musical moments!!!!

thejcm Profile Photo
thejcm
#8re: Dreamgirls test screening
Posted: 7/14/06 at 11:04pm

Ever since RENT and The Producers failed after hardly making any cuts to the score, I've given up caring what they do in the stage to film transfer. I trust Bill Condon a lot, especially since Chicago was so good and every cut made sense to me.

So far, everything I've seen for this movie I've really, really liked.

"Who says you can't bend over backwards and eat bugs if you want to? I guess the bugs would probably say you can't do that that, but assuming that they are willing and consenting bugs, then there's no problem. Let's wig out eating bugs." -RuPaul

Fiction Writer Profile Photo
Fiction Writer
#9re: Dreamgirls test screening
Posted: 7/14/06 at 11:08pm

If you were to do RENT, what would you cut?

Let's just have the entire show spoken.

silent
#10re: Dreamgirls test screening
Posted: 7/14/06 at 11:31pm

The Deena/Effie reunion clip that they showed was probably cut...the way Beyonce speaks those lines is so ghetto. Deena is sophisticated, not some around-the-way hoodrat. Supposedly it was replaced with a better take on the scene.

CurtisTaylorJr2
#11re: Dreamgirls test screening
Posted: 7/14/06 at 11:38pm

I'm also hearing that Beyonce's version of "One Night Only" will be the first single released.

ZONEACE
#12re: Dreamgirls test screening
Posted: 7/15/06 at 12:52am

did you just say "hardly any cuts" when refering to Rent?

They cut the friggin emotional core of the score. It may not have been a "big" cut time wise but it was a big ****ing cut.

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

thejcm Profile Photo
thejcm
#13re: Dreamgirls test screening
Posted: 7/15/06 at 1:32am

I could've worded it better. What I meant by saying that was that staying faithful to fans obviously didn't put seats in theaters for those movies. I'm just ready for a different approach after those two bombs.

I have a bad habit of not proof-reading 90% of my posts before posting them, forgive me.

"Who says you can't bend over backwards and eat bugs if you want to? I guess the bugs would probably say you can't do that that, but assuming that they are willing and consenting bugs, then there's no problem. Let's wig out eating bugs." -RuPaul
Updated On: 7/15/06 at 01:32 AM

RustyRocketteBoy Profile Photo
RustyRocketteBoy
#14re: Dreamgirls test screening
Posted: 7/15/06 at 11:01am

when are they going to release the soundtrack?

Stop worrying if your vision is new. Let others make that decision- They usually do. You keep moving on. Anything you do, Let it come from you. Then it will be new. Give us more to see... ~Sunday In the Park with George