News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

New York Trip...Need some help.

Whiteguy2088 Profile Photo
Whiteguy2088
#0New York Trip...Need some help.
Posted: 7/27/06 at 7:38pm

So I am going to New York Aug. 1-9 and my friends all think Broadway is lame so I am gonna be a lone watcher. I already purchased a ticket for Chicago for Aug 5 the matinee. And I am taking them to see Wicked Thursday night because I figure Wicked is kind of a mainstreem musical that I think non theatre goers would enjoy. But what are the current student rushes. What do you recommend I am 18 year old guy. Thanks.

thevolleyballer
#1re: New York Trip...Need some help.
Posted: 7/27/06 at 7:44pm

I'm no good with rushes and tickets and lottos and whatnot, but I'll tell you this: if you just drag them to either Wedding Singer or Spelling Bee, you can make theatre lovers out of them yet. Trust me... it's worked several times for me already. re: New York Trip...Need some help.

SarahBeth Profile Photo
SarahBeth
#2re: New York Trip...Need some help.
Posted: 7/27/06 at 7:45pm

If you're into the dark musical try seeing Sweeney Todd while you still can. Your friends might enjoy Spamalot if they've seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I'd also reccomend catching The Drowsy Chaperone and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels too, and from what I hear the DRS lottery isn't that hard to win.

"I'll show you a laughgasm. I'll gasm all over this stage!"
"Interesting choice"

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#3re: New York Trip...Need some help.
Posted: 7/27/06 at 7:52pm

Yeah, I agree. I did DRS lotto a few weeks ago, and it was very easy - everyone won. Avenue Q and Spelling Bee would also be really fun choices. Avenue Q lotto can be tricky becuase they do not give away that many seats, but the show is awesome.

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#4re: New York Trip...Need some help.
Posted: 7/27/06 at 7:53pm

People who thought that Broadway was lame would be bored to tears with Drowsy.

I suggest either Sweeney Todd or Avenue Q, and Sweeney is pretty damn easy to get tickets to right now. re: New York Trip...Need some help.
Updated On: 7/27/06 at 07:53 PM

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#5re: New York Trip...Need some help.
Posted: 7/27/06 at 7:57pm

DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS, SWEENEY TODD and PHANTOM are all great choices. SPAMALOT as well re: New York Trip...Need some help. WEDDING SINGER may be a great one to see as well.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
Updated On: 7/27/06 at 07:57 PM

neddyfrank2
#6re: New York Trip...Need some help.
Posted: 7/27/06 at 7:58pm

Drowsy Chaperone for Non Theater Goers. That is almoust an oxymoron.

SDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
#7re: New York Trip...Need some help.
Posted: 7/27/06 at 8:01pm

In case you're still thinking about other shows your friends should see...in addition to some of the suggestions here, I would have made the seemingly obvious suggestion of that ever-popular MTV-generation musical--you know the one--except I'm kind of getting the feeling that your friends wouldn't be crazy about all that darn sincerity and emotion and whatnot. Still, you know your friends better than I do, and I'm sure the music alone can make some people think twice the next time they make fun of your love for theatre. re: New York Trip...Need some help.

If you're still just thinking of hitting other shows on your own, you can find rush/lotto/standing room policies for every show here:

https://www.talkinbroadway.com/boards/index.php?category=&rush=show&order=

The only one I've done recently is that aforementioned rock musical, so I can't really say what crowds and chances are like at most of these, but there are a bunch of threads already that might help you out if you search. Have fun!

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)
Updated On: 7/27/06 at 08:01 PM

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#8re: New York Trip...Need some help.
Posted: 7/27/06 at 9:11pm

"The Color Purple" and I think your non-theatre friends might even like "Putnam County Spelling Bee" better than "Wicked."

Here_I_Go_Again
#9re: New York Trip...Need some help.
Posted: 7/27/06 at 9:13pm

Forbidden Bway is PERFECT and CHEAP!!!!!
just saw it the other night and it is still SOOO FREAKING FUNNNY

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#10re: New York Trip...Need some help.
Posted: 7/27/06 at 9:42pm

...they're not into Broadway, so how do you expect them to get the jokes in Forbidden Broadway?

dutch46mill2
#11re: New York Trip...Need some help.
Posted: 7/27/06 at 10:12pm

Hairspray and Rent. You'll go home happy and your friends will think your brilliant.You think you can get lotto ticket for Wicked.
I don't think so.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#12re: New York Trip...Need some help.
Posted: 7/28/06 at 2:37am

The Wedding Singer!!! If the student tix are sold out, you can get excellent orchestra seats for $ 56 at TKTS. The discounts from Playbill.com are no longer valid.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#13re: New York Trip...Need some help.
Posted: 7/28/06 at 11:19am

I definitely agree with TWS. It's a great, fun show (for non-theatregoers especially) and the rush is really easy.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#14re: New York Trip...Need some help.
Posted: 7/28/06 at 2:16pm

Wicked is not non-theater-goer-friendly, it is pretty straight forward fare. It is the hot thing, so if they are the type that like to drop names at parties then they might be interested. Wicked Bway attendance is at 100%, for the national tour shows I had to buy tickets more than 3 months in advance. I don't know if you can even get tickets on such short notice.

For the college age I would suggest Avenue Q or Spelling Bee. The humor will win them over. For music that is more mainstream pop try The Wedding Singer or Mamma Mia.
Updated On: 7/28/06 at 02:16 PM

Fiction Writer Profile Photo
Fiction Writer
#15re: New York Trip...Need some help.
Posted: 8/10/06 at 4:03am

That's a very inappropriate avatar, White guy!
I'm disgusted.

coolkid11776
#16re: New York Trip...Need some help.
Posted: 8/10/06 at 7:42am

I would say if u wanna keep it cheap try the Rent Lotto. If you don't win stick around for like 5 minutes after all the names have been called more then iikely they will sell last minute discounts. I went one time and won and after the lotto the guy said he was selling $60 seats for 35. So I would try that. If not their is Sweeney Todd which I hear is amazing.

Rent The best show on Broadway. I was at the closing. BEST night of my Life. April 29th 1996-September 7th 2008 12 years of love "No Day But Today"

Videos