Jodi Benson

Ready 2 Defy Gravity Profile Photo
Ready 2 Defy Gravity
#0Jodi Benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 3:00pm

anyone know what she is up to these days?

Fiction Writer Profile Photo
Fiction Writer
#1re: Jodi Benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 3:03pm

I know what she ISN'T doing these days.

(Namely The Little Mermaid on Broadway!)

Ready 2 Defy Gravity
#2re: Jodi Benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 3:06pm

Well I loved her on the crazy for you recording

Fiction Writer
#3re: Jodi Benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 3:07pm

Jon, I think you're an okay person. Perhaps a little too WICKED obsessed, but you'll get over that.

As far as myspace, my name is absteel. Look me up.

And you private message me, yet you don't accept private messages? How am I supposed to respond?

Ready 2 Defy Gravity
#4re: Jodi Benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 3:08pm

I don't know how to change that

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#5re: Jodi Benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 3:13pm

She mostly performs for church groups and the like as well as doing symphony pops concerts. She and her husband are born again christians.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#6re: Jodi Benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 3:16pm

I saw her as the narrator in a Donnyless-yet-Osmond-filled Joseph tour not too long ago. It was right after my sister got divorced, so that would be 1998 or 1999.

OK, that was 7-8 years ago. Scratch the "not too long ago" part.

Ready 2 Defy Gravity
#7re: Jodi Benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 3:17pm

o0o that's cool maybe she could come to my church

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#8re: Jodi Benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 3:20pm

I saw her in concert last summer in Millenium Park with Debbie Gravitte and Rebecca Luker. She sang Part of Your World and it was divine. It was especially cute because her family was there and she was all excited about it.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Ready 2 Defy Gravity
#9re: Jodi Benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 3:22pm

Did anyone see her in Crazy for You?

Fiction Writer
#10re: Jodi Benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 3:24pm

What does "born again Christian" have to do anything with it?

(My opinions about "born again Christians" aren't very good. But I don't know Jodi, so I'm not going to stick her in that category. I think she's a very good Ariel.)

Ready 2 Defy Gravity
#11re: Jodi Benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 3:30pm

yea I wonder if she would come to my church???

mikeyb16 Profile Photo
mikeyb16
#12re: Jodi Benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 3:48pm

Jodi's by far 1 of the best singers i have ever heard. what a great voice she has!

Jimmcf Profile Photo
Jimmcf
#13re: Jodi Benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 3:53pm

I saw her in 'Chess' at the North Shore Music Theatre in the 90's sometime...

My mother always used to say, "The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana." - Rose Nyland

Ready 2 Defy Gravity
#14re: Jodi Benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 4:19pm

How was she in Crazy for You?

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
#15re: Jodi Benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 5:14pm

She was great as Polly in Crazy For You. Her triple threat performance was sensational. Then she disappeared! I read Karen Ziemba was passed on for Jodi!

papalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
#16jodi benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 5:42pm

did she ever end up doing every single member of her hubby's team?

oh wait, that was anna benson...my bad.

r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#17jodi benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 6:12pm

I heard that her religious beliefs got in the way of her doing or saying just about anything even slightly risque on stage. Clearly her stage career was not a priority for her.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

Dollypop
#18jodi benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 6:20pm

I saw Jodi several times in CRAZY FOR YOU. She had trouble sustaining her pitch as the show went on. Clearly, she doesn't have the equipment for long runs.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Fiction Writer
#19jodi benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 6:23pm

From experience with "born agains", they're whores/sluts/drug users/alcoholics in their "past life" and then all of a sudden they're this perfect human being.

Hardly the fact.

And again, I don't know Jodi. I have no idea what caused her to be "born again".

I just don't believe it can happen.

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#20jodi benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 7:02pm

I think the fact that they were born again Christians came up in the context of her singing for church groups. (I'm one too, and trust me, we're waaay far from perfect. jodi benson )

I saw her and loved her in "Crazy for You," and I know she's done some other musicals, including "South Pacific" -- in L.A., I think. She's done a lot of voice work too, for varoius animated shows and movies.

Fiction Writer
#21jodi benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 7:03pm

Uh, yeah, namely The Little Mermaid.

I could sing for a church group and still be a homo.

Becky
#22jodi benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 7:11pm

When I saw her as the narrator (phenominal by the way) in the Joseph tour, she was at the stage door talking about her pregnancy. Perhaps she's focusing on her family?

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#23jodi benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 7:18pm

I didn't mean "The Little Mermaid"; I meant other shows and movies since then. IMDb lists a slew of them.

Jon
#24jodi benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 8:16pm

I recal when Crazy for You opened, many critics who otherwise loved the show felt that Benson and Goroener lacked charisma. Within a few weeks, the now defuct Theatre Week Magazine had a slew of Letters to the Editor offering suggestions on who should replace the two leads (this was back in 1992, before internet chatrooms and message boards became popular). People were making goofy suggestions like Mandy Patinkin and Bernadette Peters!

Yes, the original casting came down to Jodi and Karen. Karen did the first national tour, and then replaced Jodi on Broadway, doing the role for a much longer run than Jodi had.

Shortly after, the same director, the late Mike Ockrent, was casting "big - the musical", and it came down to Karen Ziemba and Christa Moore for the female lead. Again, he passed on Karen and chose Christa. Of course, that show was a huge flop.

Videos