pixeltracker

How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?

How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?

nomdeplume
#0How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 2:51pm

When I saw Rebecca Luker in Gurney's Indian Blood, all I could think of (besides how good the play was, and yes how good John McMartin was as he burned the boards) was

IS THAT INCREDIBLE SOPRANO

going to be heard?

And fortunately we got a little Cole Porter out of her.

How do you feel when a favorite singer does a straight play?

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#1re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:02pm

I'm all for it. I'd like to see more Broadway singers work their acting chops.

nomdeplume
#2re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:05pm

Singing helps give the actor a great voice for acting onstage.

I confess I'd rather have seen and heard Patrick Wilson singing the show rather that the largely straigt acting role he did for the comedy Barefoot in the Park. For me it was a bit of a letdown because I know what that vocal instrument he has is capable of and longed to hear it, as that quality in singing is rare.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#3re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:07pm

I feel like talent is wasted somehow. Even in musicals where they don't get to sing as much as I'd like them to.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#4re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:07pm

I think that it really depends, for example when Stokes did King Hedley II, I still think he was nothing short of fantastic as the king, and so I really think it depnds on the play and the performer.

Yankeefan007
#5re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:16pm

It's all a matter of perspective and the material.

Does Megan Hilty have the chops to pull off Hedda Gabler? Would Kate Burton make a good Glinda?

Updated On: 8/26/06 at 03:16 PM

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#6re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:16pm

"I'd like to see more Broadway singers work their acting chops."

Well, whether or not they sing or are in a musical or play, they can do that. Acting chops shouldn't be more or less whether one is in a play or musical.

And, most of the people in musicals will say that they are an actor first and a singer second.

As for seeing a "musical theatre" performer do a play--I don't see how or why it should be an issue. Performers shouldn't have to feel boxed into one or the other.

nomdeplume
#7re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:18pm

It's true that it may be the play itself. A fascinating drama might make you forget about the singing ability.

If it's a lame comedy or such you may be bored and your mind starts to wander and then you think you'd rather hear the singing.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#8re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:21pm

In my experience, the musical theater performers want you to be focused on what they're doing onstage, not what you wish they'd be doing. It's frustrating to them to be showing that they can do a good job in a straight play while audience members are wishing they'd break into song and/or dance.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

nomdeplume
#9re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:23pm

What the players want is a bit off topic for the thread as it's the audience that's paying for the ticket and seeing the show.

So it's what the audience is feeling when they watch the show that is the question.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#10re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:24pm

And, it speaks more of that audience member's issues than that of the performer.

Clearly if a performance or show is awful, then there's failure. But that should have nothing to do with singing or not.

Chanticleer148 Profile Photo
Chanticleer148
#11re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:25pm

Christine Ebersole was great in Steel Magnolias!
Updated On: 8/26/06 at 03:25 PM

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#12re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:27pm

"it's the audience that's paying for the ticket and seeing the show. "

Then don't go to a straight play if you want singing. And don't bitch if you go and they aren't singing.

And, nom, I wish you wouldn't dictate how people come into the discussion. Clearly rath and I are going to represent a performer pov on the matter.

Yankeefan007
#13re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:31pm

There's usually a difference in the 2 audience structures. A tourist crowd that's going to see Wicked would never be seen at Faith Healer.
Updated On: 8/26/06 at 03:31 PM

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#14re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:33pm

Really? I imagine there have been lots of people who saw both Wicked and Faith Healer. I did. I know what you are trying to say, but we also shouldn't underestimate seasoned theatre fans who can swing both ways.

Chanticleer148 Profile Photo
Chanticleer148
#15re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:34pm

While your statement is obviously true for the entire audience, both shows, Faith Healer and Wicked are wonderful experiences.

Yankeefan007
#16re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:40pm

I'm talking the tourist crowd, not people like us. I should have made that clear in my post, and I'll do that now.

nomdeplume
#17re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:46pm

Jerby, not every thread is titled to be from a performer's perspective. It's not dictating, it's just a choice for setting up a topic. Some are, some aren't.

I would like to think the performers on here can think from the audience perspective for when they see shows, too.

People are quick to defend performers on here, but it really isn't necessary. I think if you are a singer, it's not a bad idea to know what the audience expectations are as it may, for example, change whatever input you have into how a show is marketed or your choices of roles.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#18re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:51pm

Broadway performers can be fans too. They can also be the biggest critics.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#19re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:54pm

Yes, and while I think rath and I capably answered as audience members, we also added in the performer perspective. This is a message board where multiple facets are going to come into play and to which you can't control, nor should you try as long as people are staying on topic. Our povs were hardly a threadjack.

And I firmly believe that the more perspectives one comes to understand, the smarter a person becomes about a field. Perhaps, rath and I offering how the performers may feel would educate people who are in the audience or at least provoke thought in the matter. Maybe someone reading that response will be less likely to be annoyed by a musical theatre actor's performance in a play having info on how their favorite performer might feel on the matter. It relates and it affects the discussion.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#20re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:56pm

In the end we are all just the average Joe.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#21re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:56pm

"I think if you are a singer, it's not a bad idea to know what the audience expectations are as it may, for example, change whatever input you have into how a show is marketed or your choices of roles. "

I think that statement is absolute rubbish. A performer should be allowed to branch out in their career. There are so many things wrong with that statement.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#22re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 4:00pm

These days, most Broadway actors are happy to have a show and a show they can go to for more than a few months. It's great to try new things though. It shows how versatile the performer is.

Updated On: 8/26/06 at 04:00 PM

nomdeplume
#23re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 4:00pm

Jerby, were you always this intense about responding or is it just lately?

It's not that an intense thread to me. What's up with that? You are welcome to come and have your say as Rath is always. It was just guidance toward the point of view.

You see I am wondering about the audience's experience while they sit in that chair. Their feelings. I know the ones I have experienced in that situation and I did not know ahead of the show how I would feel. I wondering what the experience of other audience members in that situation is, because it is one of their favorite SINGERS that is going to perform, but they won't be singing.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#24re: How Do You Feel When A Favorite Broadway Singer Does a Straight Play?
Posted: 8/26/06 at 4:03pm

I think it is wonderful when an actor defies the category his or her fans have saddled them with. If you wanted to hear Patrick Wilson sing you should have done your homework before buying a ticket to Barefoot In The Park. I don't think it was advertised as a musical, was it?
If you think you can't let your pigeon holing of an actor go in order to enjoy an non-musical performance I would suggest you stay away to avoid the disappointment.

PEACE.

Videos