pixeltracker

Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?- Page 2

Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?

Hawker
#25re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?
Posted: 9/1/06 at 9:41pm

Re: You can't handle "Temper Temper"

As long as you want to make a spurrious political insinuation about Americans, how about addressing the documented 600,000 civilian executions in Iraq, the murder by Saddam of 100,000 Kurdish Iraqis, and the 500,000 Iraquis killed in Husseins incredibly ill-conceived war with Iran.

And how about a little gratitude? Were it not for warmongering, bloodthirsty Americans, English audiences might have had to sit through "superkalifragilistisch-expealigorisch".

Can't wait to hear your review of "Death of a President."

Updated On: 9/1/06 at 09:41 PM

kec Profile Photo
kec
#26re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?
Posted: 9/2/06 at 2:56am

"You cant handle Temper, Temper"

Kindly do not make assumptions that Americans can't take a darker version of a much-beloved film. I know of several Americans, myself included, who saw the show in the West End and loved it all, even TEMPER TEMPER.

SMaxie, don't forget the Evil Queen in Snow White. re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?

Updated On: 9/2/06 at 02:56 AM

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#27re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?
Posted: 9/2/06 at 4:21am

Mr Kringas, why be so insulting? I'm sure hundreds of thousands of Americans, (who may go to MP), do not support the war; do you think they can handle 'Temper Temper'?

I really don't think the content of 'Mary Poppins' can sensibly be linked to global politics.

Sure, protest and express your views in useful and appropriate places. Bitching about MP on this board seems rather redundant and self-indulgent, I'm afraid.

AngusN
#28re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?
Posted: 9/2/06 at 5:41am

Back to the subject at hand. I am quite concerned about Mary Poppins the Musical, not only about the possible alterations but I can't help but keep thinking of Chitty and the eventual fate of that musical. Fingers crossed for Ashley and Gavin!

Trish2
#29re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?
Posted: 9/2/06 at 10:08am

I too, found the London production boring, and charmless. Darker is one thing,but I didn't find ANY redeeming qualities whatsoever. The children around me were restless and uninterested. They were expecting something magical, as was I, and were sorely dissappointed. Even with this great NY casting I'm not sure I could sit through it again. I am very happy for Ruth Gottshall though, as I find her character(Mrs. Andrew) to be one of the wake-up calls of the 2nd act. And it's also nice to see Ruth finally ORIGINATING a role rather than being the understudy. GO RUTH !

It's also interesting how flat and uninspired the dancing by Matthew Bourne is. I have always been a fan of his innovative wotk, but here he is out of his element.

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#30re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?
Posted: 9/2/06 at 10:21am

As long as there are no cherry pickers and flying monkeys, I think we'll be fine.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#31re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?
Posted: 9/2/06 at 10:24am

"They didn't try to change the end of Aida."

No, but they certainly made it more uplifting by including the museum scene at the end. I wouldn't call the ending of the show "sad" because of that.

leefowler
#32re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?
Posted: 9/2/06 at 10:34am

I don't think it's a matter of "dumbing it down" for American audiences. It just seems odd to have this sort of dark wierd show, and then segue into these cheerful Disney songs. It's well and good to say that this show had to courage to go back to the tone of the original books, but they didn't have the "courage" to jettison the movie songs in their pursuit of Travers' original vision. You have these 2 warring shows on the stage, and it makes for a strange evening out.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

EganFan2
#33re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?
Posted: 9/2/06 at 10:35am

Poppins in London doesn't seem to be in danger of closing.

zerodanny Profile Photo
zerodanny
#34re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?
Posted: 9/2/06 at 11:04am

I find it absolutely amazing how people don't understand the show or don't like it..I mean the srory is simple and all the songs fit in, it's a very hearte warming show amazingly done!...the only number that I would agree is a bit strange is "jolly holiday". Mary Poppins is one of the shows that has loads of magic especially for who has grown up loving the movie...I think people should take it just as it is, all the new songs are fabulous with amazing coreography! Every time I go and see it people leave the theater very happy and touched by it!!

**Anything Can Happen If You Let It** SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS

Trish2
#35re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?
Posted: 9/2/06 at 11:20am

Loads of magic? Fabulous and amazing choreography? Which show did YOU see Zerodanny? It seems you don't get out much. The "dancing" in this show will be crucified by NY critics.Colorless statues coming to life and milling about, and a bunch of singers supposedly tap dancing in random ( with a Bert being hoisted along the proscenium arch by wires as thick as gym ropes)hardly accounts for brilliant choreography. It was insulting. And for the magic... a few things pulled out of her handbag, and her being raised to the rafters at then end hardly justify for a magical evening in the theatre. So much more could have been done. A misspent opportunity for sure.

leefowler
#36re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?
Posted: 9/2/06 at 11:30am

And zerodanny, congratulations for joining the board so recently!

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#37re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?
Posted: 9/2/06 at 1:25pm

Those grey statues really ought to go. Just awful!

zerodanny Profile Photo
zerodanny
#38re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?
Posted: 9/2/06 at 9:04pm

mmmmmmmm...

well I have my opinion on the show!!...I just can't see anything wrong in the show(appart from "jolly holiday") and I am sure ashley brown will be fabulous in it!!

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#39re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 7:56am

Not touching the topic of the war (though having it show up in THIS particular thread is a rather fascinating juxtaposition)...

HOWEVER, I want to just throw out there- what if removing "Temper, Temper" has absolutely nothing to do with changes for American audiences? How about the right that ALL shows have to alter things when opening another production? "Poppins" certainly wouldn't be the first show to have dropped something before opening in New York. When I saw the show in London I was of the opinion that "Temper, Temper" wasn't really working- and I'd like to think that had more to do with my eye for theater than my 'American-ness'.

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

EganFan2
#40re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 8:05am

Well, Broadway.com says they are definitely keeping elements from the P.L. Travers books that will be new to audiences, but they're cutting and tweaking stuff for an American audience. Interesting. Kind of a contradiction.

leemac
#41re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 8:16am

Bob Crowley and Tom Schumacher told Tales from the Laughing Place magazine in the spring (Issue 6) that there would be minimal changes to Mary Poppins. Those changes would only be due to the difference in stage dimensions between the Prince Edward and New Amsterdam. Temper Temper is intact according to that interview.

However the Jolly Holiday scene has been altered as Bob has been able to do something different at the New Amsterdam that they physically couldn't accomplish in London.

http://www.laughingplace.com/tales

EganFan2
#42re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 12:50pm

Well, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

zerodanny Profile Photo
zerodanny
#43re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 1:59pm

I was shoked at the rudeness of people...really surprised to find someone as VILE as trish2 on here!!!! don't know who she thinks he/she is!!!! :P

MrBundles Profile Photo
MrBundles
#44re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 2:59pm

on another note, I just want to mention how much I love the Prince Edward Theatre. re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?

Your fupa is showing.

Trish2
#45re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 3:20pm

Don't take it so personally danny ! I'm entitled to my opinion of the show as well and I thought it was a unenchanting bore. I surely hope some "trimmings" and "fixings" , plus the NY cast bring some "magic" to it for all invloved. re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?

Christopher Gough Profile Photo
Christopher Gough
#46re: Mary Poppins Broadway - Alterations?
Posted: 9/3/06 at 7:21pm

From what I have read, P L Travers hated the Disney film and exasperated the company execs during its production with constant demands for changes and different interpretations. She was only grudgingly given a last minute invitation to the premiere. Even after the film's premiere she was demanding that the animated sequences be cut - only to be told that 'the boat had sailed'.

I read an interview with Cameron Mackintosh where he acknowledged that although everyone loves the Disney film and loves its songs, he tried to preserve P L Travers' vision of the character of Mary Poppins; hence her starchier harder image in the stage adaptation. I understand that Cameron Mackintosh actually had face to face meetings with her in the early 90s when trying to prise the rights from her to create the musical - he definitely got to hear what she wanted!

Having seen the show, I thought it a clever fusion of Disney's and P L Travers vision of the Mary Poppins character. There are new songs in the vein of the film and others in the vein of the books; hence 'Temper Temper'. If there is any question of that being cut (I am only a theatregoer and not 'in the know') I don't think its anything to do with US audiences not being able to 'handle it' or needing to 'dumb it down' - I think its more of a case of aligning the show with the film for Disney. There was quite a bit of criticism in the UK about the 'frightening' parts for young children when it opened; I can quite understand Disney not wanting to get pilloried for that in the US where I imagine they are even more protective of their brand as selling very family-orientated entertainment.

By the way, Pamela Travers was an Australian who covered up her nationality in the UK. She was snobbish and a bit haughty - just like her vision of her famous creation!