Reprise! My One and Only

lovesclassics
#0Reprise! My One and Only
Posted: 9/6/06 at 2:35am

If anyone will be seeing this LA production with Rachel York, Michael Gruber, and Betty Garrett, I'd love to read a review. Thanks!

lc

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#1re: Reprise! My One and Only
Posted: 9/6/06 at 2:38am

I'm seeing it on Friday. I can't wait!

lovesclassics
#2re: Reprise! My One and Only Reviews
Posted: 9/7/06 at 10:01pm

The LA Times review of "My One and Only" at Reprise! Broadway's Best is up, and it's a rave for Rachel York, Michael Gruber and Betty Garrett.

Under the old MGM studio system, Rachel York and Michael Gruber would likely be household names. They carry "My One and Only," which opens the 10th anniversary season of Reprise! Although this revival of the 1983 Gershwin rehash has its liabilities, its stars aren't among them.

York owns the house from her first entrance atop Bradley Kaye's functional set, rising like an Art Deco Venus in Heather Carleton's glittering era couture. Playing blackmailed Edythe with dry insouciance, York is a knockout, peaking at her heartfelt "How Long Has This Been Going On?" Similarly, the engaging Gruber devours tap-happy Billy with assured finesse, sending his Act 1 interpolation of "Strike Up the Band" past the parking lot. Their mutual regard is delightful, whether meeting cute ("He Loves and She Loves"), splashing in a wading pool (" 'S Wonderful") or selling the nuptial finale ("Kickin' the Clouds Away").

When the ageless Betty Garrett turns the title number into an object lesson in stealing a show without trying, you may forgive "My One and Only" for not being quite as scintillating as its wonderful headliners.

I can't wait - just 10 more days. re: Reprise! My One and Only Reviews

lc

LA Times Review

AuditioningWaitress
#3re: Reprise! My One and Only Reviews
Posted: 9/8/06 at 4:26pm

Thanks for the review link...I would love to see Rachel in this!

lovesclassics
#4re: Reprise! My One and Only Reviews
Posted: 9/9/06 at 6:58pm

eslgr8,

So, did you see it? What did you think? re: Reprise! My One and Only Reviews

lc

sidwich
#5re: Reprise! My One and Only Reviews
Posted: 9/11/06 at 3:32pm

Rachel York was as delightful as you'd expect in the part. I'd never seen Michael Gruber in anything before, and I enjoyed his performance very much as well, although the part is so constructed around Tommy Tune at the 6'6 tap dancing freak of nature that it's always slightly "off" seeing someone else in the role.

Overall, I hadn't seen "My One and Only" since the original tour with Tommy Tune and Sandy Duncan, so it was kind of odd seeing it so many years later. I'd forgotten how completely nonsensical so much of it is, a series of delightful musical and dance numbers strung together with a book that makes "Crazy for You" look positivley profound.

Also interesting seeing the show minus Tune's direction and staging. It reminds you what an amazing eye he has for the "picture." Since the original production, I think "My One and Only" has always been problematic because of the issue of racial casting, and it was interesting to see the different effect that a multi-cultural cast had on the show.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#6re: Reprise! My One and Only Reviews
Posted: 9/11/06 at 3:35pm

I adore Michael Gruber!

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

lovesclassics
#7re: Reprise! My One and Only Reviews
Posted: 9/11/06 at 11:48pm

Two more reviews from LA papers - here's the first from the Daily News:

It isn't exactly "S'Wonderful," but the Reprise! production of "My One and Only" at UCLA's Freud Playhouse is "s'well" enough.

Gruber and the rest of the cast are all quite good in essentially thankless roles. It would have been nice to have seen Lewis, who starred in "Chicago" on Broadway," do more singing and dancing ("Funny Face" being her only number) instead of being mostly a comic foil. The lovely, statuesque York, though, managed to do something that was missing from the rest of "My One and Only": elicit some real emotion with her heartfelt version of "How Long Has This Been Going On."

LA Daily News

lovesclassics
#8re: Reprise! My One and Only Reviews
Posted: 9/11/06 at 11:54pm

And the next from the Daily Breeze:

If "My One and Only" were in a beauty contest, the judges would give it a perfect 10 for the music and a 1 for the book. In other words, it's tempting to shout "Shut up and sing!" every time the actors start talking.

And yet, hearing a dozen of some of the best songs in the Gershwin canon performed by a thoroughly enjoyable, magnetic cast and the always solid Reprise orchestra, makes the evening worthwhile.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a better duo to sing these classics than the charismatic York and Gruber. Their voices are timeless and enchanting.

And the material they are working with here is incredible.

Billy's love at first sight moment is accented by "Blah Blah Blah," an inventive number that includes some of Ira Gershwin's most purposefully babbling lyrics, engulfed by George Gershwin's lush and romantic tune.

Later, when Edythe and Billy are deserted on an island (don't ask), the pair sings their cares away with the classic "S'Wonderful."

And Gruber rouses the crowd with the stirring first-act finale, "Strike Up the Band."

The second act highlights are York's heartfelt rendition of "How Long Has This Been Going On," and Gruber and Garrett singing the show's title number.

This band, this cast and these songs are an unqualified hit, and well worth waiting through the silly dialogue to experience.

Daily Breeze Review

lovesclassics
#9re: Reprise! My One and Only Reviews
Posted: 9/13/06 at 12:20am

Another rave for Rachel in this from Talkin' Broadway.

York turns out to be Reprise!'s biggest asset in this production, as she gives the role of Edythe considerably more than the mere outline that the script provides. York puts a well-developed character in there - her Edythe is smart and strong when talking to the press, less sure of herself when in the presence of the show's villain (watch how her upper class British accent falters into lower class when she's thrown off-balance), and simply delightful when she allows herself to fall in love. But more than that, she's a solid tapper and a powerful singer. Her "How Long Has This Been Going On?" is downright incandescent.

Every single reviewer has called "How Long Has This Been Going On?" a highlight. I can't wait to hear her sing this on Sunday!

lc
Talkin' Broadway Review

lovesclassics
#10re: Reprise! My One and Only Reviews
Posted: 9/13/06 at 3:08pm

Variety has weighed in - thumbs up for the cast, not so much for the production.

Excerpts:

George and Ira Gershwin deserve a better book to display their wares than Peter Stone & Timothy Mayer's tissue-thin "My One and Only," a faux-'20s tuner concocted in 1983 as a Broadway showcase for Tommy Tune and Twiggy. Hampered by the Freud Playhouse's limited stage area, helmer Dan Mojica cannot muster the necessary production pizzazz to overcome the show's glaring inadequacies, despite star turns by Michael Gruber and Rachel York in the lead roles and a capable ensemble.

Set in 1927, the throwaway plot (mildly inspired by the '20s Fred and Adele Astaire showcase "Funny Face") revolves around the conflicting agendas of barnstorming pilot Billy Buck Chandler (Gruber). Determined to be the first to fly nonstop across the Atlantic, he is romantically waylaid by beautiful swimming star Edythe Herbert (York).

With its limp comedic subplots, the storyline is designed to showcase a collection of Gershwin classics culled from various shows. It would take a Busby Berkeleyesque extravaganza to make the creaky thematic segues viable, and this production is too small to pull it off. With music director-pianist Gerald Sternbach guiding an onstage 13-piece orchestra, production numbers such as "I Can't Be Bothered Now," "High Hat" and "In the Swim" are more reminiscent of a chorus warming up than of an ensemble in performance.

What does work is the pairing of Gruber and York, who transcend their mediocre surroundings with such Gershwin standards as "Boy Wanted"/"Soon," "He Loves and She Loves" and " 'S Wonderful."

In solo turns, Gruber offers an emotionally charged first-act closer in "Strike Up the Band," while York soulfully wends her way through the ballad "How Long Has This Been Going On."

The most memorable aspect of "My One and Only" is screen and stage vet Betty Garrett's perf as Madam Magix. Duetting with Gruber on the title song, Garrett gives ample evidence of her hoofing skills.

lc
Variety Review

lovesclassics
#11re: Reprise! My One and Only - WRQ, this one's for you
Posted: 9/19/06 at 7:51pm

At last I am getting around to posting my review of the show. I saw the closing perf on Sunday night but haven't had a chance to get online till now. So here goes:

Rachel York was, as usual, fabulous. Mere words can't describe how absolutely stunning she is on stage. First of all, she looked like a celestial being in those gorgeous period gowns. Yet, as beautiful as the costumes were, Rachel's face is what rivets you. She positively glows. She made her first entrance coming up from below the stage like a goddess, just like Esther Williams did in those old Busby Berkley movies. The reviews are so right. You just can't take your eyes off of Rachel whenever she is on stage. And it's not that she's doing anything to upstage anyone. She's just that magnetic.

Then, she sang her first number and warm honey poured over the audience. Just as all the reviews said, her rendition of "How Long Has This Been Going On" was the showstopper. She gave it such depth, she even had tears in her eyes at one point. The audience gave her lots of "bravas" when she was through. As talented as the rest of the cast was, Rachel was just head and shoulders above all of them. She is a megastar by every definition of the word.

Her acting was adorable. She was so cute in her scenes with Michael Gruber as Billy Buck Chandler. All of her character's poise and confidence melted into a girlish crush when he was romancing her. Their best scene together was when they were doing a barefooted tap dance in a wading pool! Rachel had the exuberance of a little kid who had been set free.

The show's storyline is total nonsense, and I really wanted to hear more songs. But it was a fun night. Betty Garrett was a hoot, especially when she grabbed Michael Gruber's butt at one point! She did it with such enthusiasm that he totally broke character. He was laughing so hard that he had to turn his back to the audience to compose himself. He stopped dancing, the conductor paused the orchestra, Betty started laughing at Michael, and the audience went wild. Vicki Lewis (remember her from News Radio?) was really funny, too. The whole cast was solid, and the tap dancing was really tight. Okay, so the story was lame. But how can you argue with people leaving the theater smiling and humming the tunes?

And best of all, at least from my perspective, lots of the post show buzz was about Rachel. Everyone knew they were in the presence of someone very special. It's so gratifying to know that there are lots of other folks who appreciate her as much as her (rabid?) fans do.

LC

Anna_Elizabeth Profile Photo
Anna_Elizabeth
#12Reprise! My One and Only
Posted: 9/19/06 at 8:07pm

I saw the show last Friday evening and was a bit disappointed. I usually adore Rachel York, and for the most part I did. What turned me off was her Julie Andrews speaking voice imitation. At times it was just too much and I wanted her to just develop her own British accent without imitating someone else.

The only standout for me was Vicki Lewis. She was wonderful and didn't overact as most of the other leading cast members were. Even Clinton Derricks, who I adore, was overacting way too much.

The same thing happened at my performance when Betty Garratt tweaked Michael's butt. He completely lost it, Betty looked innocent, and the audience went wild.

It was nice to see all the seats sold, but I was glad I only paid half price for my ticket.