Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews

joshy Profile Photo
joshy
#0Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 12:13pm

I am unbelievably excited to see this.

Left to right: Ian Lavender (Grandpa Gellman), Anna Francolini (Rose Stopnick Gellman), One of the Noahs but I'm Not Sure Which, Richard Henders (Stuart Gellman), Valda Aviks (Grandma Gellman) and Hilton McRae (Mr Stopnick).

First look at Pippa Bennett-Warner as Emmie! I'm sorry my scanner sucks, but this picture has made me even more excited to see her performance. I'm a bit confused about the kids in the background, though - there are 3 Noahs and 5 boys sharing the roles of Jackie and Joe, so how come they are 9 kids? What is the extra kid doing there?!

Tonya in London, yay! Plus A Miscellaneous Noah in the background.

And the behind the scenes interview things:

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#1re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 12:14pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

J'adore

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

joshy Profile Photo
joshy
#2re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 12:15pm

I thought you'd be excited re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews

Now get on a plane!

jimnysf
#3re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 12:17pm

I liked this show a lot when I saw Tonya and company perform it in San Francisco.

Tonya is currently featured in a trial storyline on the daytime drama, "All My Children". She is playing an attorney on that show. In past episodes, they gave her a chance to sing.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#4re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 12:21pm

If only, Joshy, if only...

*sigh*

I'll be expecting detailed reports though!

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

algy Profile Photo
algy
#5re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 12:27pm

I'm excited to see this (hopefully at Christmas).

And for any of you out there that have watched some classic British Sitcoms - Ian Lavender played Private Pike in Dad's Army... he's a bit older now though - that was 40 years ago - and he's one of only two original platoon members left.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#6re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 1:53pm

Tonya was taken off-contract on AMC, so I'm happy this will give her time to bring her portrayal to the West End. It's something beautiful, I hope all of you over there will give her - and the show - a chance!

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#7re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 2:01pm

Wow! That looks beyond spectatular. I was just listening to the score and wishing that I could see it in London.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

neddyfrank2
#8re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 2:37pm

Those photos look like they are from the 70's.

DG
#9re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 2:44pm

I would give anything to be able to see this again - especially with Tonya. It is one of the absolute highlights of the last few years of theatre for me. I hope it does well in London.

BreakingTheCircle07 Profile Photo
BreakingTheCircle07
#10re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 2:47pm

Amazing interviews and pictures! Thanks a bunch!

Variations on a Theme blog: http://panekattack.blogspot.com/

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#11re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 2:54pm

That third picture is amazing.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

tophertilson Profile Photo
tophertilson
#13re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 3:04pm

I'd give anything to see this production. I listen to CoC pretty much every week and never fail to be moved by it.

Who's directing this production? Is it George C. Wolfe again?

"Me flunk English? That's unpossible!" - Ralph Wiggum

joshy Profile Photo
joshy
#14re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 3:11pm

Yup, George C. Wolfe. I'm thinking it'll be pretty much a 'replica' production of the Broadway one.

Chip1012 Profile Photo
Chip1012
#15re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 3:33pm

As far as we know it's open-ended, correct? I'm planning a trip for the end of December to see it.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#16re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 3:40pm

Last I heard it's limited to 4 Jan; hopefully it'll extend or transfer!

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Updated On: 10/1/06 at 03:40 PM

joshy Profile Photo
joshy
#17re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 4:00pm

It's unlikely to extend at the National unless it's a huge HUGE success, because of the schedules their theatres have, and I think the piece is too uncommercial to be one. Don't think a transfer is likely either, sadly. But at least we know it'll be safe up to the closing date of Jan 4, god bless subsidised theatre!

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#18re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 4:02pm

any chances of a NEW cast recording?

I just might die!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#19re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 5:17pm

For years, Sweeney Todd was my all time favorite musical. In May of 2004, it bacame a tie between Sweeney and Caroline. Both, in my opinion, are masterpieces. I was so upset that the show did not last until my return trip in November of that year. Musically, it is like no other show I have seen. Just stunning. The seemless blend of musical styles/genres just blows me away. It has been discussed here a lot, but it was a crime that it did not take best Book, Score and Musical. I left the theatre thinking to myself, "This is where American Musicals are heading. And that's a cool thing." So sad that it wasn't embraced on Broadway. I hope the UK audiences embrace it and realize just how great this musical is. JMHO!

Just an aside.....did anyone see the article in the New York Times about the Documentary on Tony Kushner?

Just give the world Love.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#20re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 5:22pm

I'm absolutely going to head out to London to see this before the end of the year! Sometimes - not often, but sometimes - it's theatrically good to be in the UK. ^_^

DG
#21re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 5:32pm

"So sad that it wasn't embraced on Broadway."

Not that it matters much, but the LA audiences and critics went berserk for it - and I was one of them!

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#22re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 5:40pm

silly NYC...

my autographed playbill from the offbroadway run is one of my most prized pieces of theatrical memorabilia.

it's a brilliant cover. it has a silouhette of tonya on a penny and it says "In Caroline We Trust" instead of "In God we Trust"

BRILLIANT

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#23re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 5:46pm

re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews

Just give the world Love.

joshy Profile Photo
joshy
#24re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 5:58pm

Oh my god! That is SO AWESOME. I want one!

caroline is king and caroline is queen and caroline is stronger than my dad

And sadly it's unlikely, Caroline-Q-or-TBoo, that there will be a new recording...the NT doesn't record much, plus because of Tonya there would be even less incentive.

I have a feeling the critics here will really like it, especially after they just had a ball ripping up the bloated Wicked. They're desperate for a really smart musical. Hopefully audiences will love it too!

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#25re: Caroline, or Change (London) rehearsal photos + interviews
Posted: 10/1/06 at 5:58pm

OOPS.

I guess I haven't looked at it in a while :-P

Videos