pixeltracker

Peter Pan Musical Production License

Peter Pan Musical Production License

DivaMommy
#0Peter Pan Musical Production License
Posted: 10/4/06 at 9:18pm

Could anyone tell me where one would get the rights for an ameteur production of Peter Pan the musical. The Comden/Greene/ Jules Styne version recently done by Rigby/McCoy Entertainment.

I've searched everywhere online and have found nothing!

Thank you

...and your children start to leave you from the moment they are born.

Dollypop
#1re: Peter Pan Musical Production License
Posted: 10/4/06 at 9:30pm

I directed this show but I don't remember whether Music Theater International holds the rights or Samuel French. I think it's Samuel French.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#2re: Peter Pan Musical Production License
Posted: 10/4/06 at 10:23pm

It is Samuel French. And they have recently begun licensing the updated (Rigby) version. Prior, you could only license the original version.

The changes are fairly miniscule- the updated version has the longer Ugg-a-Wugg, makes Distant Melody a duet again, and has the Marooner's Rock sequence instead of Mysterious Lady. The updated version also has (imo) better orchestrations.
Updated On: 10/5/06 at 10:23 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#3re: Peter Pan Musical Production License
Posted: 10/5/06 at 1:06am

I would suggest the updated one (yes, by Samuel French), too. ESPECIALLY if you're allowing males to audition for the role.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#4re: Peter Pan Musical Production License
Posted: 10/5/06 at 2:05am

I would suggest the original version. It is far superior in absolutely every way.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

actress_06 Profile Photo
actress_06
#5re: Peter Pan Musical Production License
Posted: 10/5/06 at 10:27am

I would have to go with the original. I'm doing a production of Pan right now, and I think Mysterious Lady has got to be one of the funniest songs in the show, especially if it's blocked right. Sure Ugg-a-Wugg is a little shorter, but as an "indian" I'm ok with that. The show isn't about indians. It's about never growing old.

"Better...Better than What?" -Jo March (Little Women the Musical) "NYC...Up there (In Lights) I'll be." -Star to be (Annie)

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#6re: Peter Pan Musical Production License
Posted: 10/5/06 at 11:53am

Actress_06,

Ugg-A-Wug is a musical number celebrating the Lost Boys and the Indians becoming friends. It's in no way ABOUT indians.

Mysterious Lady, yes, is a fun number, but is very unneseccary. It adds nothing to the plot. In the Rigby/McCoy production, cutting this song and extending Ugg-A-Wugg was one of the highlights of the show. Patti Columbo's choreography made it work one step further by making it a STOMP-style number.

Also, the "Mermaid Lagoon" addition is a GREAT way to end the second act. It showcases the mermaids, it adds suspense, it gives the opportunity for a "pre-game" swordfight, and it delivers the line "To Die Would Be An Awfully Big Adventure" in such a great way!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#7re: Peter Pan Musical Production License
Posted: 10/5/06 at 11:56am

I can't believe anyone would recommend the revised version.

I performed in PETER PAN, and grew up watching the Mary Martin video. Sure, Cathy Rigby is a great Peter, but the revised version of the show baffled me and annoyed me.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#8re: Peter Pan Musical Production License
Posted: 10/5/06 at 12:29pm

Count me in favor of the original version.

P.S. = Except for the whole: Liza (Mary Martin's daughter) goes to Neverland thing. Does anybody actually do that as written in the original script?
Updated On: 10/5/06 at 12:29 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#9re: Peter Pan Musical Production License
Posted: 10/5/06 at 4:27pm

I'm gonna agree with Captain Hook and say the revised version. I love the new Ugg-a-Wugg, although I could see that number being painful to watch if your dancers aren't talented (or if they don't have a sense of rhythm). However, that number can be really impressive if the cast nails it.

I actually hate Mysterious Lady. I don't understand why a "boy" would be singing like that. It seems terribly out of context. Plus I love the, "to die would be an awfully big adventure" line.

Videos