ACL Revival Recording Review

BWayFanatic Profile Photo
BWayFanatic
#0ACL Revival Recording Review
Posted: 10/13/06 at 4:50pm

I recently purchased a copy of the Revival Cast Recording of "A Chorus Line." I performed in a run of this show 2 years ago and have listened to the OBCR hundreds of times. I have never seen the OBC (i'm too young) and I haven't (yet!) seen the Revival. Here's my take on the Revival Recording:

Hope I Get it: At the beginning, the orchestration seems too slow, although once Zach goes "5,6,7,8.." it seems to pick up the pace. Parts of this vocals on this track sound VERY similar to the OBCR.

I Can Do That: Jeffery Schecter sounds GREAT! on this song, the orchestrations sound wonderful and full!

At the Ballet: Always been one of my favorite songs. I had HIGH expectations for Deidre Goodwin, but she seems kind of lacking at parts, actually a little too soft. Alison Porter makes a WONDERFUL sounding Bebe, I think her voice and expressions were spot on, just from listening, you can tell she really understands this part. Mara Davi, WOW! Maggie has always been my favorite part, and she BRINGS IT!! I got chills throughout her solo. Her last note seems a little shouted, but it doesn't sound bad necessarily. The orchestrations sound very nice, and the 3 ladies are beautiful on their harmonies! Still my favorite!

Sing!: I love Chyssie Whitehead's interpretation of Kristine is new, yet very lovable abd laughable. She gets rid of the annoying voice like the Kristine on the OBCR, and she brings new life to this song, and BOY can Tony Yazbeck sing!

Montage: Always been another favorite, so glad to hear all the odl parts and some new. The company as a whole sound FANTASTIC! Paul McGill sounds very young, naive, and perfect for the part. Yuka Takara sounds very cute Connie, a small yet great part! Natalie Cortez sounds AMAZING in Nothing, this has always been a great song, but she brings such excitement to it! Her voice sounds very fresh, great expression! I am so happy they added Don's small solo. Brad Anderson does a great job with this little piece, sounds like he fits the part well. Heather Parcells seems very funny on her small solo, seems like a great fit for Judy. Mara Davi again, sounds impecable on "Mother." Michael Paternostro sounds very good on his solo, I'm glad he hasn't made this part out to be the overly flamboyant character I was afraid he might, he kept the character very real. James T.Lane knocks it out of the park with Gimme the Ball, his range is amazing with some great falsetto and the company does great with the backup singing. An AMAZING ending to the montage. The montage does not disappoint!

Dance Ten Looks Three: Jessica Lee Goldyn sounds really good in the part of Val. I enjoy the whole "blonde" side she seems to have brought to the character.

Music and the Mirror: Charlotte sounds just, OK. Nothign spectacular. the thign that ruined it for me was the line, "God, I'm a Dancer, a Dancer Dances" This is supposed to be a HUGE moment in the show, and she seems to have thrown that opportunity away. Her desperation comes across, the vocals sound fine, same with the orchestrations, but that spark is missing.

One: The company sounds great on this number, not much to it. I see what people mean about Michael Berresse as Zach, very dry, but I think Zach can get away with being on the dry side.

What I Did for Love: Natalie sounds beautiful, along with the whole company. I had chills the entire time. Another favorite!

One(Reprise)/Finale: Sounds very nice, the company's vocals are one again spot on and the orchestrations sound full. A great ending to a spectacular recording.

Overall, this recording is DEFINITELY worth purchasing. The Highlights for me were At the Ballet, Nothing, and rest of Montage. Most of the time, the vocals are perfect and the orchstra sounds very good, not muffled at all, very vibrant and full. No Broadway Fan should go without this recording.

FindingNamo
#1re: ACL Revival Recording Review
Posted: 10/13/06 at 5:41pm

Oh, I didn't realize this was out yet. Nobody around here mentioned it at all.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#2re: ACL Revival Recording Review
Posted: 10/13/06 at 5:45pm

"Sing!: I love Chyssie Whitehead's interpretation of Kristine is new, yet very lovable abd laughable. She gets rid of the annoying voice like the Kristine on the OBCR, and she brings new life to this song, and BOY can Tony Yazbeck sing!"

I'm starting to think that Whitehead's interpretation is a bit too broad for my taste.

Casey3
#3re: ACL Revival Recording Review
Posted: 10/13/06 at 7:03pm

All I heard was a clip of Sing and I must say I like that she actually sings off pitch instead of shouting and tryin' to make it seem like flat SINGING like the original Kristine.

Videos