pixeltracker

Anybody see Mary Poppins first preview?!

Anybody see Mary Poppins first preview?!

edenespinosalover Profile Photo
edenespinosalover
#0Anybody see Mary Poppins first preview?!
Posted: 10/15/06 at 12:02am

What did ya think?!

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#1re: Anybody see Mary Poppins first preview?!
Posted: 10/15/06 at 12:05am

Although there's another thread on this, I'm not going to bother being snooty and posting a link. I'm quite anxious to see how it went. Somebody please post?

boxers7 Profile Photo
boxers7
#2re: Anybody see Mary Poppins first preview?!
Posted: 10/15/06 at 12:06am

It's a good thing you started this thread. Without your help, I don't think people would have posted their thoughts.

WAY TO GO!

"I don't wanna see that!" -Aunt Sassy (as played by Valerie Cherish) on Room & Bored

edenespinosalover Profile Photo
edenespinosalover
#3re: Anybody see Mary Poppins first preview?!
Posted: 10/15/06 at 12:08am

I figured the other thread already had about 35 posts. Just thought it would be nice to have a new thread of reviews without having to go through the other dozens of comments.
Updated On: 10/15/06 at 12:08 AM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#4re: Anybody see Mary Poppins first preview?!
Posted: 10/15/06 at 12:15am

I believe boxers was being sarcastic. The "WAY TO GO!" made it quite obvious. But seriously, just tell me what got cut and I'll be happy.

Yankeefan007
#5re: Anybody see Mary Poppins first preview?!
Posted: 10/15/06 at 12:16am

I'd love to say I was there, but I was only passing by towards the end. The show let out at about 11:10 (I assume it started late). The Playbills are VERY nice, as are the posters. Saw numerous little girls carrying the trademark Mary umbrella.

The song list:
Act I
Chim Chim Cheree
Cherry Tree Lane I
The Perfect Nanny
Cherry Tree II
Practically Perfect
Jolly Holiday
Cherry Tree/Being Mrs Banks/Jolly Holiday
Spoonful of Sugar
Precision and Order
A Man has Dreams
Feed the Birds
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Temper Temper
Chim Chim Cheree Reprise

Act II
Cherry Tree Lane
Brimstone and Treacle Part I
Let's Go Fly A Kite
Cherry Tree Lane/Mrs. Banks
Brimstone and Treacle II
Practically Perfect Reprise
Chim Chim Reprise
Step in Time
A Man Has Dreams/Spoonful Reprise
Anything Can Happen
Spoonful Reprise
A Shooting Star

(I picked up the Playbill on the way by.)

Heard numerous people talking of a spectacular end where she flies. Don't quote me on that. Updated On: 10/15/06 at 12:16 AM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#6re: Anybody see Mary Poppins first preview?!
Posted: 10/15/06 at 12:17am

So the crew got Overtime, Interesting.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#7re: Anybody see Mary Poppins first preview?!
Posted: 10/15/06 at 12:19am

I bet they've built a three story gift emporium for this one. Mackintosh and Disney merchandise skills combined. Wow.

Yankeefan007
#8re: Anybody see Mary Poppins first preview?!
Posted: 10/15/06 at 12:20am

I posted a song list, as you guys can see. I picked up a Playbill on my way down 42nd.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#9re: Anybody see Mary Poppins first preview?!
Posted: 10/15/06 at 12:22am

so glad they left Brimstone and Treacle in! thank you for posting the song list. i'm going with my mom next Sunday, Otober 22nd!

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#10re: Anybody see Mary Poppins first preview?!
Posted: 10/15/06 at 12:23am

Wow. NO SONG GOT CUT. Holy ****. I'm shocked. God bless Disney. You've made up for Tarzan just from looking at the song list.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#11re: Anybody see Mary Poppins first preview?!
Posted: 10/15/06 at 12:27am

This review was posted on ATC:

"Nothing anyone says will make a difference with this show. Cameron has at least a 10 year run.

But does it have to take almost 3 hours to tell the story? The Banks's story holds the show together and it's quite touching in the end. But the big numbers are curiously flat. The choreography is bland and unexciting. I was waiting for "Step In Time" to soar and only Lee did. And that nude nymph romp in the park is a bit odd.

But Ashley Brown is perfectly cast. As is Daniel Jenkins and Gavin Lee. But they've got to work on their diction and sound. I couldn't understand the thick accent of the housekeeper and the new nanny and Jane and Michael were uninteligible. Brown could stand to enunciate and slow down. Luker's sound was lost. Only Lee was perfect in diction and accent. I'm sure all this will be ironed out.

Jenkins is solid and makes the central story work. And his little Super jig is, well, super.

Funny, I had more fun at CHITTY. But that's just me..."

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Yankeefan007
#12re: Anybody see Mary Poppins first preview?!
Posted: 10/15/06 at 12:33am

FYI: It seems that the Jane and Michael of choice are Katherine Doherty and Henry Hodges. They played tonight.

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#13re: Anybody see Mary Poppins first preview?!
Posted: 10/15/06 at 12:33am

I want to point out that this ATC poster is notorious for panning a show he sees (like 95% of the time). So I'm glad he didn't trash it (although he found some problems).

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#14re: Anybody see Mary Poppins first preview?!
Posted: 10/15/06 at 12:35am

Yankee, does Ashley Brown have a normal bio in the Playbill? The one they have listed for her on the website is literally two lines. That can't be the real one she is using, can it?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Yankeefan007
#15re: Anybody see Mary Poppins first preview?!
Posted: 10/15/06 at 12:50am

Wow, I'm already the show liaison and I haven't even seen it (seeing it next weekend.)

Yes, she has a normal bio:
Ashley brown feels honored to be playing Mary....made her Broadway debut in beauty....previously toured in On the record....Performed in Broadway by the Year 1956....Training: BFA at Cincinatti College Consedrvatory of Music....Ashley thanks.....

The usual jibber-jabber.

Ironically, it's Henry Hodges' bio that's one of the longest. Not bad for a 7 year old.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#16re: Anybody see Mary Poppins first preview?!
Posted: 10/15/06 at 12:53am

I saw the show in London and I'm glad it hasn't been changed much.

The dark moments make teh magical ones even more so. It's truly stunning.

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Yankeefan007
#17re: Anybody see Mary Poppins first preview?!
Posted: 10/15/06 at 1:04am

Any other questions about Playbill stuff, PM me. I'm heading to bed...I'm sure people who've actually seen it can clue you all in more.