pixeltracker

Short DREAMGIRLS Soundtrack Review

Short DREAMGIRLS Soundtrack Review

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#0Short DREAMGIRLS Soundtrack Review
Posted: 10/17/06 at 11:46pm

I received an advanced copy of the DREAMGIRLS soundtrack yesterday and have listened to it a few times since then and have to say while everyone sounds great I'm overall dissapointed in it. I knew that songs were cut but until listening to it, I had no idea that "Family", the fight during "Heavy", "Ain't No Party" AND "I'm Somebody" were ALL gone.

It's fairly obvious they wanted to make this the Jaime Foxx and Beyonce project and if people wouldn't have rioted in the streets, they most probably would have cut "And I Am Telling You..." since it was not sung by Beyonce. And unless someone told me that Anika Noni Rose was in this, I never would have known. She has absolutely no room to shine which is sad because anyone who's ever seen her live knows how incredible and talented she is. I'm hoping that she and Jennifer Hudson are allowed some great acting moments to make up for the mistakes in cutting these songs. I'm definately not as excited about the film as I was a few days ago, but I will still go in with an open mind hoping that what I'm hearing now is a bit deceiving.

The good news is that like I said before, everyone sounds fantastic. My favorite song "It's All Over" is still there (Thank GOD) and Jennifer Hudson belts out a fierce "And I Am Telling You" and "I Am Changing" and Beyonce sounds fantastic in all she does here. Jaime Foxx makes a fantastic Curtis and I'm looking forward to seeing him act the part as well and see just how mean he can get.

The disc runs about 70 minutes long so obviously a lot was cut here and it remains to be seen if it's for the best. All I know is that DREAMGIRLS won't seem like DREAMGIRLS to me without hearing Effie sing "What about what I need? What about what's best for meeee?" and "I don't care! Let 'em hear! Let 'em all heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaar!!!!"

But what are you gonna do, right?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1re: Short DREAMGIRLS Soundtrack Review
Posted: 10/18/06 at 12:10am

Now, do you have the 2-disc or the highlights soundtrack?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Jordan Catalano
#2re: Short DREAMGIRLS Soundtrack Review
Posted: 10/18/06 at 12:12am

It's a single disc, 70 minutes long. I wasn't aware that there was a 2-disc coming out also. Are any of those songs I mentioned as being cut on that one?

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#3re: Short DREAMGIRLS Soundtrack Review
Posted: 10/18/06 at 12:15am

Ain't No Party is the only major song from the show that's not in the film.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Jordan Catalano
#4re: Short DREAMGIRLS Soundtrack Review
Posted: 10/18/06 at 12:17am

Well "Heavy" is there, but just the onstage song part of it. The fight is cut, at least in the cd so I'm assuming it's all dialogue now.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#5re: Short DREAMGIRLS Soundtrack Review
Posted: 10/18/06 at 12:20am

Evenin', clueless one.

"Family" is still in there (and in it's original spot) as is "I'm Somebody" (which is now used as background for a montage on the rising success of Deena Jones & The Dreams). "Ain't No Party" was cut, though the backstage Lorrell/Jimmy scene is still in there. "Heavy" is there, and yes...the argument isn't sung-thru anymore.

There will be 2 releases -- a single-disc and a complete 2-disc set. Both are to be released on Tuesday 12/5th, though some have said it could be pushed-up to late November.

Jordan Catalano
#6re: Short DREAMGIRLS Soundtrack Review
Posted: 10/18/06 at 12:23am

"Evenin', clueless one."

Excuse me?

DG
#7re: Short DREAMGIRLS Soundtrack Review
Posted: 10/18/06 at 1:32am

I really hope "Family" is there - I would miss it if it's not.

benjaminthemusical Profile Photo
benjaminthemusical
#8re: Short DREAMGIRLS Soundtrack Review
Posted: 10/18/06 at 2:03am

Ain't No Party was one of my favorite songs,im pissed.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#9re: Short DREAMGIRLS Soundtrack Review
Posted: 10/18/06 at 2:14am

I'm not sure how well Ain't No Party would work in a movie. It's basically the same beats repeated over and over again. It doesn't really build up to specific high points in the same way as most of the other songs.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Casey3
#10re: Short DREAMGIRLS Soundtrack Review
Posted: 10/18/06 at 9:23am

Yes, you must of gotten the "highlights" CD, because Family was one of the scenes shown in the celebrated Cannes preview. How did you come by this advanced CD?

Wildcard
#11re: Short DREAMGIRLS Soundtrack Review
Posted: 10/18/06 at 12:34pm

There are actually more songs now than in the original Broadway production as four new songs were added with only one original song removed (as mentioned earlier). Some background songs such as "I Miss You Old Friend" have even been fleshed out and done as a solo (sung by someone Broadway fans would like). If you've seen the preview trailer where we see the cast with an all white curtain behind them, that is the "Family" scene. Also, Bill Condon would not have given "And I'm Telling You" to Beyonce. That was what Whitney wanted when she was initially to play Deena years ago and obviously, that never got off the ground. That song is Effie's and Deena's equivalent is "Listen".

Videos