pixeltracker

"Stay Awake" Cut From Mary Poppins?

"Stay Awake" Cut From Mary Poppins?

Effie Im TIRED Profile Photo
Effie Im TIRED
#0"Stay Awake" Cut From Mary Poppins?
Posted: 10/18/06 at 12:38pm

The lullaby that Mary sings to Jane and Michael, "Stay Awake", is my favorite song from the film. From what I've read, it's not included in the stage musical. Is this true? If so, that sucks, even though I do kind of understand.

I also heard that Disney wanted to cut it from the film, but Julie Andrews insisted on keeping it.

Wrong, sir. Wrong! Under section 37B of the contract signed by him, it states quite clearly that all offers shall become null and void if - and you can read it for yourself in this photostatic copy - "I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained," et cetera, et cetera..."Fax mentis incendium gloria cultum," et cetera, et cetera..."Memo bis punitor delicatum"! It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! You stole fizzy lifting drinks. You bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#1re: 'Stay Awake' Cut From Mary Poppins?
Posted: 10/18/06 at 12:42pm

well, it's a lullaby, so it may put the kids in the audience to sleep as well. I love the song, but it is rather slow.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

algy Profile Photo
algy
#2re: 'Stay Awake' Cut From Mary Poppins?
Posted: 10/18/06 at 12:43pm

Y'know it's terrible - I've seen the show and I can't remember whether it was in or out! As it's not on the OLC I assume its out, like one of my favourite songs - Sister Suffragette.

Effie Im TIRED Profile Photo
Effie Im TIRED
#3re: 'Stay Awake' Cut From Mary Poppins?
Posted: 10/18/06 at 12:47pm

No Sister Sufragette? Oh dear! Our daughters' daughters will adore us and they'll sing in grateful chorus "Well done!"

Wrong, sir. Wrong! Under section 37B of the contract signed by him, it states quite clearly that all offers shall become null and void if - and you can read it for yourself in this photostatic copy - "I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained," et cetera, et cetera..."Fax mentis incendium gloria cultum," et cetera, et cetera..."Memo bis punitor delicatum"! It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! You stole fizzy lifting drinks. You bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!

NathanLaneStalker
#4re: 'Stay Awake' Cut From Mary Poppins?
Posted: 10/18/06 at 12:47pm

I could never stay awake while Julie sang that song in the movie......that's probably why I haven't seen the second half of it....

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

algy Profile Photo
algy
#5re: 'Stay Awake' Cut From Mary Poppins?
Posted: 10/18/06 at 1:17pm

No it's timeshifted so that the Suffragette story is no longer appropriate.

jasobres
#6re: 'Stay Awake' Cut From Mary Poppins?
Posted: 10/18/06 at 1:27pm

Well, they are keeping "Feed the Birds," right? That was Walt Disney's very favorite song and at every moment that he approached Richard Sherman, he would say, "Play it," and Sherman knew what he meant.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

algy Profile Photo
algy
#7re: 'Stay Awake' Cut From Mary Poppins?
Posted: 10/18/06 at 1:30pm

Feed the Birds is in the London show (I've got the OLC recording on atm as I'm trying to refresh my memory of the show)

Gothampc
#8re: 'Stay Awake' Cut From Mary Poppins?
Posted: 10/18/06 at 1:52pm

If they cut Feed the Birds, I'm boycotting the theater with picket signs. I love that song.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#9re: 'Stay Awake' Cut From Mary Poppins?
Posted: 10/18/06 at 2:03pm

And this is the perfect example of why I refuse to see this show.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 10/18/06 at 02:03 PM

Julian2
#10re: 'Stay Awake' Cut From Mary Poppins?
Posted: 10/18/06 at 2:09pm

"Though we adore men individually, we agree that as a group,
they're rather stuuuuupid"

LOVE HER

And why refuse to see Mary Poppins, because its not a bland staight terrible carbon copy of the movie?

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#11re: 'Stay Awake' Cut From Mary Poppins?
Posted: 10/18/06 at 2:27pm

when is it time shifted to?

ThankstoPhantom
#12re: 'Stay Awake' Cut From Mary Poppins?
Posted: 10/18/06 at 2:57pm

Like in the books,t he time period is the '30s, from what I understand.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Yankeefan007
#13re: 'Stay Awake' Cut From Mary Poppins?
Posted: 10/18/06 at 2:58pm

From The Playbill:

Mary Poppins takes place in and around the Banks' household somewhere in London at the turn of the last century.

Musical Numbers
Chim Chim Chereee (and reprises)
Cherry Tree Lane I/II (plus reprises)
Perfect Nanny
Practically Perfect (and reprise)
Jolly Holiday (and reprises)
Being Mrs. Banks (and reprises)
Spoonful of Sugar (and reprises)
A Man Has Dreams (and reprise)
Feed The Birds
Supercalifragilisticexpialadocious
Temper Temper
Brimstone and Treacle (I/II)
Let's Go Fly A Kite
Step in Time
Anything Can Happen
A Shooting Star

Note: These songs are for the most part in order, but to save time, the reprises are skipped but noted.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#14re: 'Stay Awake' Cut From Mary Poppins?
Posted: 10/18/06 at 3:15pm

"Like in the books,t he time period is the '30s, from what I understand. "

The London production was set about the turn of the century, as the women were in long skirts. Hemlines had risen well above the ankle by the '30's.
Updated On: 10/18/06 at 03:15 PM

ThankstoPhantom
#15re: 'Stay Awake' Cut From Mary Poppins?
Posted: 10/18/06 at 5:29pm

That's what I thought, thank you...I think the only reason for them not having Suff... in the show is because Mrs. Banks is now a retired actress.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Videos