pixeltracker

RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!

RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!

NefariousAryq
#1RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/5/06 at 1:09am

Hello folks. Hows it going? This is my first post here on BWW. I lurk occasionally. Great site going on here.

Well, on Saturday 11/4, I saw RENT the tour for the 4th time at the Murat Theatre in Indianapolis, Indiana.

I was a little hesitant, because some of the reviews of this current touring cast were not that great. But I did find a few posts saying that after the cast change in September, things got much better.

To my enjoyment, this was TOTALLY the case. This cast is superb. Certainly one of my favorite casts I have seen on tour. The production went on with virtually no issues whatsoever, except for Roger not being able to light Mimi's candle the first time he was supposed to. Beyond that, everything sounded great, looked great, etc.

Our seats were in the 2nd row, almost center. Technically the first row of seats available for SALE, since obviously the first row seats were held for the day of the show. The girls infront of us said they had waited in line since like 11 (the show started at 4pm). I'm seriously considering going back tomorrow and trying to get $20 first-row tickets... it would be WELL worth the wait outside to be able to see it again in the first row.

The guy who played Mark was awesome, very very funny. He had the right look and the right sound. He was a perfect Mark. Roger, on the other hand, was just alright. He was probably the weakest link, in my opinion, of the cast. Not to say he was bad, because he wasnt... he was just weaker. As someone said before, its very obvious this guy is British, and occasionally that accent would slip, which was ... interesting. At times he seemed just TOO angry, like he was ready to actually HIT someone. That just doesnt feel like Roger to me. Yes, he gets frustrated/upset/angry at times... but I just dont want him to look like he's two seconds away from punching Mimi in the face!

Joanne looked modeled after Tracy, from the movie :) Slimmer/smaller, and just cute as a button. She sure could sing, though. Very nice. Maureen was hilarious, and this performance of Over the Moon was brilliantly hilarious. However, when she actually had to SING, she didnt sound as great as I would have expected. Maybe a little flat, I dunno. But great overall.

Benny looked a bit old for Benny, but still great. Collins had dreads, heh, which was weird, but he still sounded great. Angel was a good Angel, too. Just overall this cast was awesome.

Oh, and the soloist... She hit that high 'C', and I shivered. The band sounded awesome, too. Very tight, very on top of it. The rest of teh ensemble also was great. So so very tight.

Well, my first post has become a very long one. I'll end this now, but if you get the chance to see the current touring cast, I'd certainly recommend doing so! These guys/gals are great!

BTW, anyone else on these forums go to either Indy show on Saturday... or going to either Indy show on Sunday?

~~Aryq~~

FosseBoi
#1re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/5/06 at 1:15am

Who was playing Mimi? How was she?

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

NefariousAryq
#2re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/5/06 at 1:53am

Ack, I cant believe I missed writing up MIMI, how in the h*ll did I do that?! She was very good, also. She sounded GREAT in Out Tonight and Without You. I was definately impressed. BOY, is she FLEXIBLE too. Wow. She worked it OUT dancing and stuff.

According to my Stagebill, this is who I saw... and I believe this is correct, I dont think there were any changes.

Roger: Declan Bennett
Mark: Harley Jay
Collins: Warren G Nolan Jr
Benny: Michael Ifill
Joanne: Chante Carmel Frierson
Angel: Melvin Bell III
Mimi: Krystal Brown
Maureen: Tracy McDowell

Thanks!
~~Aryq~~

atlsuperstar
#3re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/5/06 at 1:55am

Krystal Brown is playing MIMI, a great dancer and I think she pulls off the role quite well. Not one of my favorites but she is pretty good to say the least. Her voice could be a little stronger but someone just seeing her and not comparing her to anyone else..would have her at the top of there list. But I have to agree with Nefarious this is really a pretty good cast. The Seasons Soloist kicks butt..she did something with that High C the night I saw it..I quite enjoyed this cast. And I had just seen the Broadway cast and they lived up to my expectations!

FosseBoi
#4re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/5/06 at 2:36am

Good to know they have a good Mimi now.: )

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#5re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/5/06 at 2:39am

I have only seen the movie so I do not understand the part of the soloist. I do know it is stunt casted on Broadway so it must be some sort of character. Could someone please explain to me :)

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

IAMmyownMUSICAL Profile Photo
IAMmyownMUSICAL
#6re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/5/06 at 6:16am

emo_geek you don't know what you're talking about. I'm sorry, I meant that in the nicest possible way. (add pleasing smile here)

The "seaons" solist everyone refers to is the woman who sings the solo in SEASONS OF LOVE. Whoever sings it pretty much gets to work it on stage and in that 2 minutes has THEIR time to shine. There is also the male solo, but let's face it...he's overshadowed by the woman. Seasons of Love also begins at the top of ACT 2.

It's also NOT stunt casted on broadway. So I don't know where you received that information. Frenchie Davis has been singing that solo for years (with a few others here and there), and she wasn't stunt casted. The women who sing this solo sing it because they sing the SH*T OUT OF IT and deserve to sing it.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Now all I see are cute boys with short haircuts in a maze of their own...
Updated On: 11/5/06 at 06:16 AM

TWSFan4Ever Profile Photo
TWSFan4Ever
#7re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/5/06 at 7:50am

Tracy, in opinion, has a similar voice to Idina. Whoever has the guts to get up there and do a crazy number like "Over The Moon" is fantastic:)

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#8re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/5/06 at 8:13am

Thank you for this review re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis! I see this on Tuesday.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Nick2
#9re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/5/06 at 8:43am

Current tour is non-equity members but the scale of the show and the detail are totally same as Broadway. And all casts are so storong as Broadway's. Let's rush to see the show.

MimiLovesRoger Profile Photo
MimiLovesRoger
#10re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/5/06 at 11:38am

MAan, i was supposed to go see it last night, too. i was sooo mad when we didn't have the money to go get tickets.

#11re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/5/06 at 3:27pm

Yeah, I agree with you on a lot of the points you had. Declan is the weakest link but overall the ensemble is extremely solid and not to be missed!

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#12re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/5/06 at 3:38pm

Ah, I just assumed that they hired her for the American Idol credit. My mistake.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

Broadway Dancer Profile Photo
Broadway Dancer
#13re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/5/06 at 4:41pm

I saw the show yesterday too, and I was pleasantly surprised, with the exception of Declan. I don't have too much to add, but I'll try. Krystal is so agile, which made up for anytime the vocals were weak during "Out Tonight." There isn't anything she can't do up on that railing! Her voice is very good, and I think she'll continue to get better. I'd love to see Krystal and Harley at the end of their runs, because they're going to be amazing. Krystal would have been even better if Declan had given her anything at all to work with. His accent-switching was irritating, and the only emotion he could portray was anger. But he only showed that during part of "Goodbye Love." Roger and Mimi are usually my focus, but since Declan pretty much killed that, I focused more on the other relationships. Chante and Tracy are wonderful, and I would have loved to have seen more of them. Their solo songs were appropriately funny, and "Take Me or Leave Me" was fantastic. Melvin and Warren were also great, and had great chemistry for a pair that has only performed together for just over a month. Last but not least, Harley was very good as Mark. My best friend (who has only seen the movie) didn't think anyone could ever compare to Anthony Rapp, but she was very impressed by Harley's performance.

A couple questions, if anyone saw the matinee: Which swing went as Paul, and did anyone else hear someone rehearsing "Out Tonight" before the theater doors were opened? I was standing right by them, but my friends wouldn't be quiet so I could hear. I think it was Krystal, but they could have been rehearsing an understudy.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#14re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/5/06 at 5:12pm

Frenchie should hardly be associated with American Idol. She was fired from the show very early on in the season.

jimmycurry01
#15re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/5/06 at 6:16pm

I found this to be the best cast of Rent I have ever seen. And that isn't because my good freind is the ASM for the production. I loved Declan as Roger and I thought he made the show, but to each his own I guess.

Starlet36 Profile Photo
Starlet36
#16re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/6/06 at 11:23pm

I don't know how Declan is as Roger, but I know that his understudy's performance in Knoxville was less than fabulous. The poor guy didn't feel comfortable in his own skin, let alone in the set or on stage. I heard it was very last minute, Declan got sick or something. I felt really bad for the guy. The rest of the cast was GREAT!!!

Actinggbugg474
#17re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/6/06 at 11:29pm

In response to Broadway Dancer .. I'm pretty sure my friend Mitch Dean went on as Paul that night.

RentBoy86
#18re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/6/06 at 11:30pm

It comes here at the end of the week. I can't wait to see it. Though, I wish it were playing the Alabama Theater - a more intimate Broadway-ish theater, as opposed to the concert hall which seats 3,000+, Oh well.

Nick2
#19re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/6/06 at 11:34pm

Where can I find the whole schedule and city of the current tour?

parislover87 Profile Photo
parislover87
#20re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/6/06 at 11:35pm

I just saw it an hour ago here in knoxville and roger split his pants during the opening and didnt get to go off stage until Tango Maureen... we're talking entire crotch seam down to the knees on both sides... AND he was the worst one... so it wasnt even forgiveable

It's the music and I'm its hapless victim

brdlwyr
#21re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/6/06 at 11:48pm

Is this an Equity tour?

Starlet36 Profile Photo
Starlet36
#22re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/6/06 at 11:49pm

What?! He split his pants?! How did I miss that?!

brdlwyr
#23re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/6/06 at 11:59pm

Are the Actors paid a fair salary?

parislover87 Profile Photo
parislover87
#24re: RENT tour makes a stop in Indianapolis!
Posted: 11/7/06 at 7:25am

um he SO split his pants... they were completely hanging free in the back... but he tied his sweater around his waist and refused to move for half of act I...

other than him, the show was wonderful... well. collins was weak too until I'll Cover You Reprise

It's the music and I'm its hapless victim

Videos