pixeltracker

Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape- Page 2

Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape

NathanLaneStalker
#25re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/12/06 at 3:38pm

bumpety bump.

Link to the site?

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

Yankeefan007
#26re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/12/06 at 3:41pm

www.google.com

NathanLaneStalker
#27re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/12/06 at 3:44pm

^ tried it. But I couldn't find the theatre archives.

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

Julian2
#28re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/12/06 at 3:53pm

It takes a little digging to find, but here's a link with the telephone number . . .

Theatre on Film and Tape Archive Information

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

NathanLaneStalker
#29re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/12/06 at 3:58pm

Thanks!

NathanLaneStalker
#30re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/12/06 at 4:11pm

Ok, I'm sorry but I can't find the list of shows they have. WHere are they?

Julian2
#31re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/12/06 at 4:13pm

That was all I was able to find, maybe someone else can help us out with that, but all I was able to find was the page with the telephone number.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

NathanLaneStalker
#32re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/12/06 at 4:21pm

Ah. Well you know I don't want to call and say "Well what do ya got?" Because we should really be going to study them...not watch them for fun.

I'll keep looking re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape

bwayfan3 Profile Photo
bwayfan3
#34re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/12/06 at 11:08pm

Basically, all you have to do is use the regular CATNYP catalog, which can be accessed from the NYPL website. Just type in the name of the production and if there is a videorecording it will come up in the search results.
I guess it's not as user-friendly as a list of available recordings, but you probably have something in mind anyway so searching by title doesn't seem too bad.

Gothampc
#35re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/12/06 at 11:26pm

Use the link below. Type in a search for the title of the show you want to see. When it brings up the selections, look for the entry that says [videorecording].
http://catnyp.nypl.org/

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Julian2
#36re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/13/06 at 2:57am

Many thanks.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#37re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/13/06 at 3:17am

Damn, I wish they had DREAMGIRLS...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

NathanLaneStalker
#38re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/13/06 at 9:37am

WOW! They had a lot of things I want to see! (Nathan Lane..ha!)

Thanks!

i*heart*fame
#39re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/13/06 at 9:50am

Can you go with someone else? For my Sondheim independent study my English teacher and I would like to go together and watch the ALNM video, but would we be able to watch it together?

"Don't thank your parents, if you were raised in a nurturing environment you wouldnt be in show business"--Conan O'Brien at the 2006 Emmy Awards

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#40re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/13/06 at 10:21am

The ALNM video is restricted. Hrmph.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

Revolutionary Profile Photo
Revolutionary
#41re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/13/06 at 5:08pm

This whole process seems a little too complicated for me. My eyes glazed over reading those instructions.

I have always wanted to see the ALNM with Michael Maguire in it though. re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape Oh well.

i*heart*fame
#42re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/13/06 at 6:17pm

wickedrentq--even the kennedy center one? I checked catnyp and it seemed available. Would I be able to watch that one with my teacher or not?

"Don't thank your parents, if you were raised in a nurturing environment you wouldnt be in show business"--Conan O'Brien at the 2006 Emmy Awards

Yankeefan007
#43re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/13/06 at 6:32pm

How much are you allowed to watch at one time? I'm doing a paper on comparing productions of a few plays and need to watch them all....

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#44re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/13/06 at 7:12pm

The tapes will either say "restricted to qualified researchers" or "permission required." You have to get some kind of signature from a lawyer or someone to watch the permission-required ones. If you really want to try, they'll give you the e-mail you need of the person who needs to give you permission.

Yankeefan, as long as none are restricted, and make an appointment, I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to watch how ever many things you can in the hours it's opened.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#45re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/26/06 at 9:41am

What does it mean when it says "restricted to qualified researchers"?

Glad to see they have the 2006 Threepenny.

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

Yankeefan007
#46re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/26/06 at 10:06am

Restricted to qualified researchers means that you need a good reason to view the tapes (directing a production, writing a paper, etc). Those are available to the public.

Permission Required means that you need to get permission from the lawyers to watch the tape.

I was over there on Friday afternoon to watch what I needed. It's a great operation they have going.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#47re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/26/06 at 10:07am

"Restricted to qualified researchers" is the standard disclaimer on all the videos: meaning you need to be a theatre professional, student, journalist or have some other legitimate "excuse" for watching - i.e. anything other than "I just want to watch the show because I'm curious."

I think you can watch three videos Yankee, but you only have a limited time slot (I believe 3 hours)to do so: you probably wouldn't be able to watch more than one production in its entirety, though you could certainly watch excerpts of different productions.

And they do have DREAMGIRLS - but it's one of the videos that requires written permission (from the Bennett estate). It's also from late in the run - no Jennifer Holliday.

Yankeefan007
#48re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/26/06 at 10:39am

MB - I know. I actually had to watch the Dennehey/Redgrave statging of Long Day's Journey into Night, which, they said was about 3.5 hours, as well as parts of another show. They had me down for "full day" (12-6) and were very surprised when I was done after a little over an hour. Selected scenes were all I needed.

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#49re: Lincoln Center library, theater on film and tape
Posted: 11/26/06 at 10:43am

Some videos there are truly restricted. I think that to view the footage there of the original production of Follies, you have to get permission from the Goldman estate.

Videos