News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

AMDA

BroadwaySassy Profile Photo
BroadwaySassy
#1AMDA
Posted: 12/5/06 at 8:13pm

How hard is it to get in?

~Sami~

SweetQintheLights
#1re: AMDA
Posted: 12/5/06 at 8:14pm

oy

search

also student board.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

Junior
#2re: AMDA
Posted: 12/5/06 at 8:41pm

ugggghh! why cant people just answer a person's question? WITHOUT being bitchy?

AMDA has a very strenuous program, and it takes a lot of endurance and ambition to survive in their programs (as well as in the business) so when they're auditioning, they're looking for this on top of talent. Hundreds if not thousands audition, and they only select a few, so I'd say it's fairly difficult to get in, but if you're talented, confident and up to the challenge, it shouldn't be that hard.

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#3re: AMDA
Posted: 12/5/06 at 8:43pm

They select a little more than a "few".

OnMyWay Profile Photo
OnMyWay
#4re: AMDA
Posted: 12/5/06 at 8:47pm

I've never heard of anyone being rejected.

"People that excel in the arts understand that the journey is the reward...the result an added bonus. Every day I act or train is a blessing and a dream come true. If Broadway beckons so be it. I have a personal definition of success that is unshakable by a possibly unobtainable goal." -HamletWasBipolar

Junior
#5re: AMDA
Posted: 12/5/06 at 9:53pm

OK, so they accept more than a few, but I went to HS with several people who got rejected, but then again I was surprised they even auditioned. But whatever.

Best of luck!

TheaterBoy7777 Profile Photo
TheaterBoy7777
#6re: AMDA
Posted: 12/5/06 at 10:49pm

I have known people who haven't made it in, but in my classes(I go to AMDA) where I don't even understand how they got in. But I was told that the people for whom you audition look for something special and if you have something inside of you that they think that could become great they will take you. It doesn't even have to be your voice or your acting just something that makes you glimer. Sounds cheezy I know but true.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#7re: AMDA
Posted: 12/5/06 at 10:50pm

Well, she's hardly being bitchy.

It's strange you say all of that Junior, because I knew someone who went to AMDA for a couple of months and switched out immediately due to the lack of commitment from many of the students and the low level of intense workshopping and such. Besides that, everything I've heard about AMDA is that if you really want to get a valuable education..there are better schools. (this is not to offend any users on the board who do go to AMDA..I'm sure everybody has their own unique experiences.)

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

Junior
#8re: AMDA
Posted: 12/5/06 at 10:59pm

Interesting... My best friend goes to the LA campus, and she tells me stories pretty often about instructors telling people to buckle down or they'll never make it through the program, that theyre not focused enough, do they really want this etc. And she's had years of formal training (P.A. high schools, NOCA, NCSA etc) so she's used to working hard and she says the classes are very taxing and strenuous... I dont know. I'm sure there are people who do transfer to other schools and feel that the program is too easy and what not, but that's gonna happen at any school, not just AMDA. I don'y know anyone who goes to the NY campus, it may be different. Over all I've heard mixed things about AMDA in general, but I've yet to hear anything overly negative about it. I guess it just depends on the individual...

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#9re: AMDA
Posted: 12/5/06 at 11:00pm

In my experience it was too easy to get into, I did a general audition in front of a bunch of schools at the National Thespian thing in Nebraska. Schools were supposed to just call you back for an interview if they liked you. AMDA accepted me and at least 6 of my friends. It just seemed too easy. I can't say anything about the program, though.

NickHyper
#10re: AMDA
Posted: 12/6/06 at 12:37am

AMDA is in interesting place. There are many different aspects to AMDA that one must consider. AMDA is the kind of school that accepts people who have some talent, and that they feel will benefit from their training, and possibly go out and work. AMDA is not a school like, say, CCM, where they expect most people to be great singers, dancers, and actors and CCM is just there to refine the skills, and push their limits. However, I do see people that go into AMDA that are great in all three areas, and the training there pushes their limits. I see the ups and downs to both approaches, but I think something to consider is that it's not about the other students they accept, it's about you, and it's about the teachers.

Most of the teachers there are very, very good with several Broadway credits, including a current member of A Chorus Line cast, the director of Forbidden Bway, Shout, and more. However, There are certain aspects that I'm not fond of. The "Sight Singing" program has been a particular downfall for myself. I think a true theory program would be better, than a practical use "sight singing" program. But I can honestly say that the teachers there are very, very good (as a whole w/ of course a few exceptions like any school).

I have met many kids who have dropped out of AMDA because they say they didn't like it, or wanted something more challenging. Most of the time when I talk to those kids who have said that, their were reasons that pretty much had nothing to do with the program that AMDA has, and have mostly had to do with themselves and things they couldn't take, or just didn't like for some reason.

Again, I have no clue why someone would leave a school because there are people that they think are no good there. I'm sure there are kids at Harvard, Yale, your state University, or even your hometown college that has kids enrolled that probably shouldn't be there, but why would that stop you. Going to school isn't about other kids there. It's about the teachers, their program, and most of all you.

colleen_lee
#11re: AMDA
Posted: 12/6/06 at 8:55am

If you had run a search first you would have seen that there was a thread on this just last week.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#12re: AMDA
Posted: 12/6/06 at 9:49am

I have worked with people that attended AMDA that were unbelievably awesome, and unbeleivably terrible. One of the most dedicated, Talented and consistent performers I have ever seen went to AMDA. I say this having watched him perform over the course of a 14 month tour.
That being said, I have seen people who, unofortunately, have absolutely no business pursuing this as a career who have graduated from AMDA. I am not saying this to be mean, but they are struggling and have been for years.
I know from people who are in the Casting field, that AMDA is looked on as a place that is not very selective. They will take your money and teach you, but there is no guarantee. There is no guarantee fomr anywhere, but rarely are the people from CCM, Carnegie Mellon, Boston Conservatory, Ithaca, etc, who have survived a Four Year BFA program struggling in New York.
Bottom Line-IF you are talented and a hard worker you will thrive at any Theatre program.
But what do I know?- I make my living as a performer and didn't go to any college!
Make your own path!

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

theatreteacherlady
#13re: AMDA
Posted: 2/8/07 at 2:09pm

Hi there-

This Amda comment thing is just too tempting!

When you audition for Amda is is like any other large audition. When you get in and go to acting classes that are not worked out by level- but the dance classes are- REGARDLESS of your previous experience- it is a little upsetting.

I went to AMDA and took classes outside of it because I wasn't getting what I was paying for. That's not to say I wasn't in every class.

Expect some unbelievable teachers who will challenge you. Expect to work hard and branch off and make it happen on your own.

Also expect to find people who can't sing and act in your classes- and be forced to sit there while they start from square one.

The best choice I made in my performance half of my theatre career was leaving that place. I did well, but leaving was better- I did so much more on my own.

#14re: AMDA
Posted: 2/8/07 at 2:35pm

EDIT:

I have been behind the casting table at some auditions and, unfortunately, some of the casting directors that I have worked with judge auditionees negatively if they have AMDA on their resumes as they consider the program a joke and call it "SCAMDA."

That's my only experience with AMDA. Outside of that, I don't know anything about the program itself. I am sure it is what you make of it!!

re: AMDA

Updated On: 2/8/07 at 02:35 PM

temms Profile Photo
temms
#15re: AMDA
Posted: 2/8/07 at 3:02pm

I'm not so sure that AMDA is a strike against a performer in the audition room (particularly if they're good), just that AMDA is not going to guarantee that the person has a basic set of skills, unlike someone who has graduated from Michigan or CCM. If the AMDA grad brings it in the audition room, they'll get a callback. They may not get a blind appointment from a resume with AMDA, but if you're good, you're good and where you went to school is ultimately meaningless in determining who gets a part.

I've done some work at AMDA, and I think Neverandy and Theatreteacherlady have both painted very good and accurate pictures of what goes on there. The big issue is that they don't track the students - in the six or so sections for each class, they make sure to evenly divide the groups so that every section has an equal number of super-talented folk (there are plenty that go through there) and an equal number of never-ever-going-to-work-anywheres. If they actually had a "Professional track" and all the best AMDA kids could work with all the best teachers without the clowns who have no business being there, it could easily be a program at the level of one of the big MT schools, just in a two-year, New York-based conservatory program.

AMDA is not without its problems or its bad students, but there is also much that is good about it. Moreso than just about any other school, it's up to the student to take as much advantage of the program as they can. Since you're in NYC learning from people in the profession, it's possible to have a great experience. It's also possible to get so fed up with the substandard quality of a big portion of the student body that it's a miserable experience. No one path is right for everyone.

kerrireed1
#16re: AMDA
Posted: 2/8/07 at 3:17pm

I went to AMDA and it was a great program for me. I really enjoyed the instructors and the classes. I made really good friends there, and it was a time to really get serious about Theatre and pursuing a professional career. I would recommend the school to anyone interested in learning more about their craft. Some of my fondest memories are at AMDA!

Videos