pixeltracker

re: Les Mis Revival Orchestrations

re: Les Mis Revival Orchestrations

cello_dude Profile Photo
cello_dude
#1Les Mis Revival Orchestrations
Posted: 12/12/06 at 12:45am

Does it make anyone else sick to see how many musicians they cut in the new "revival"?

from 5 violins to 1!!

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#1re: Les Mis Revival Orchestrations
Posted: 12/12/06 at 8:27am

The reduction was done when the show moved from the Palace to The Queens two years ago - it was unlikely that, having found they could get away with it, they'd put the musicians back in for Broadway re: Les Mis Revival Orchestrations

Updated On: 12/12/06 at 08:27 AM

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#2re: Les Mis Revival Orchestrations
Posted: 12/12/06 at 9:17am

When I saw the show, I personally didn't notice any real difference until MASTER OF THE HOUSE. And this is my favorite show ever. I've seen seen it many, many times.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

tomorrowcomes
#3re: Les Mis Revival Orchestrations
Posted: 12/12/06 at 5:19pm

Actually, I didn't mind the new orchestrations. It changed the feel somewhat of certain songs (at least to me), but I don't think the overall effect was bad. Just different.

And honestly, it wasn't that noticeable unless you are completely fanatical about the show. And even then, it might not be that apparent. The changes were mostly pretty subtle. Unless you were listening for it, which I was.

Fosse76
#4re: Les Mis Revival Orchestrations
Posted: 12/12/06 at 5:24pm

Wait...the revival has orchestrations?

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#5re: Les Mis Revival Orchestrations
Posted: 12/12/06 at 5:29pm

The Queens Theatre production uses the original orchestrations, simply played by fewer musicians. Based on what I heard in the Broadwayworld video preview, the revival uses NEW orchestrations, also (sadly) played by a reduced number of musicians.
Updated On: 12/12/06 at 05:29 PM

COOOOLkid
#6re: Les Mis Revival Orchestrations
Posted: 12/12/06 at 5:29pm

It felt the drums were overpowering a little bit. But otherwise, I loved it! re: Les Mis Revival Orchestrations

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy
Updated On: 12/12/06 at 05:29 PM

theminutepast
#7re: Les Mis Revival Orchestrations
Posted: 12/12/06 at 5:33pm

I haven't seen the revival yet, but I have heard the clips and some full songs from the revival. I really dislike what they have done. On My Own sounds like a high school pit is trying to play it. It isn't as fluid. And now there is a drum roll before the last verse, too. I mean, seriously, a drum roll? Before I heard any of the clips, I was excited. Now I expect it to be painful to watch when I go in January.

cello_dude Profile Photo
cello_dude
#8re: Les Mis Revival Orchestrations
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:04pm

well, i know that it might sound the same, mostly. but thats because they are simply replacing instruments with synths to save $$$

They didnt "re-invent" or "re-orchestrate" they just CUT

At least to me the pit doesnt sound the same as in the original, and it hurts me to see that a show that has grossed so much would cut these musicians just to make a little extra money

JKlock Profile Photo
JKlock
#9re: Les Mis Revival Orchestrations
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:51pm

honestly when i went mid november i barely noticed during most songs-but I did notice the change in On My Own and at first was like huh? but then i got used to it and enjoyed it

http://two-sails.blogspot.com/

StarStruckGB Profile Photo
StarStruckGB
#10re: Les Mis Revival Orchestrations
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:55pm

Yeah personally, I'm a big fan of the new orchestrations.
:)

Goshen doesn't do High-School-shows.

o.0 Profile Photo
o.0
#11re: Les Mis Revival Orchestrations
Posted: 12/12/06 at 8:04pm

I don't think the orchestrations are bad. I think in some places they work and some places they don't. I heard a noticable (and not great) change in "Master of the House", but I was pleasantly surprised with "I Dreamed a Dream". The new orchestrations just take a while to get used to if you've heard Les Mis before.

Videos