pixeltracker

BroadwayWorld Discreetly Mentioned in NY Times Article on "THE SCENE.."

BroadwayWorld Discreetly Mentioned in NY Times Article on "THE SCENE.."

Yankeefan007
#1BroadwayWorld Discreetly Mentioned in NY Times Article on "THE SCENE.."
Posted: 12/30/06 at 9:36am

...and Patricia Heaton.

"A Theater Web site recently ran a discussion thread boycotting The Scene.." (due to Heaton's politics, which is what the article is about). This was the only place I could think of regarding that.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: BroadwayWorld Discreetly Mentioned in NY Times Article on 'THE SCENE..'
Posted: 12/30/06 at 2:11pm

Here's the link to the article/interview:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/31/theater/31gree.html?em&ex=1167627600&en=0b8e4ef1304ae05d&ei=5087%0A

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
FindingNamo
#3re: BroadwayWorld Discreetly Mentioned in NY Times Article on 'THE SCENE..'
Posted: 12/30/06 at 2:21pm

I doubt discussion of Patty only took place here.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#4re: BroadwayWorld Discreetly Mentioned in NY Times Article on 'THE SCENE..'
Posted: 12/30/06 at 2:28pm

Don't be such a party pooper

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#5re: BroadwayWorld Discreetly Mentioned in NY Times Article on 'THE SCENE..'
Posted: 12/30/06 at 2:35pm

Interesting quote from Rebeck (italics mine):

"Ms. Rebeck, the playwright, knew and didn’t care. “That’s flawed thinking,” she said of the boycott chatter, “like what happened with the Dixie Chicks. And I would hate to think of liberals as the new conservatives. I don’t agree with all of Patty’s politics..."

I was hesitant to see this play because of Heaton's beliefs, but was invited by someone who had comps. It wasn't long into the play before I was extremely glad that I hadn't boycotted. It's a good play, with great performances, including one from Heaton that surprised me in its depth and effect. She has a right to express her views, and we have a right to express ours by boycotting. But this is art - not politics. And missing a good piece of art for any reason is still missing a good piece of art.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Updated On: 12/30/06 at 02:35 PM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#6re: BroadwayWorld Discreetly Mentioned in NY Times Article on 'THE SCENE..'
Posted: 12/31/06 at 9:40am

When does the show open?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#7re: BroadwayWorld Discreetly Mentioned in NY Times Article on 'THE SCENE..'
Posted: 12/31/06 at 12:33pm

"I doubt discussion of Patty only took place here."

They are talking about the BWW thread. All That Chat doesn't allow threads of an overtly political nature. Any thread like that would've been deleted over there.

Wanna Be, the show opens January 11.

Videos