pixeltracker

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#1CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 10:45am

In 2007, directed by Kenny Leon.

So, who wants to start the "Audra as Maggie" rumors? CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/104629.html

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#2re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 10:50am

Or the James Earl Jones as Big Daddy rumors?

(although you know who would be great? James Avery.) Updated On: 1/4/07 at 10:50 AM

Yankeefan007
#2re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 10:51am

Very interesting. Exciting!

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#3re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 10:51am

Damn that Ossie Davis for dying. Broadway LOVES a husband-and-wife vehicle!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#4re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 10:52am

I think there should be a RAISIN IN THE SUN revival with an all-white cast. Who's with me?

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#5re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 10:56am

Do we think it'll be the play as written with an all-black cast (possibly historically inaccurate), or the same story/characters in a different time and place? The article seems to indicate the former.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 1/4/07 at 10:56 AM

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#6re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 10:57am

Interesting experience. And yes, frankly, Audra would be a really great Maggie.

Yankeefan007
#7re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 10:58am

I doubt that they'll change anything but who knows? Has Williams been dead long enough that they're all in the public domain?

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#8re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:00am

Halle Berry.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Yankeefan007
#9re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:02am

Diddy Combs as Brick?

luvtheEmcee
#10re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:02am

Williams died in 1983, but the length of time before something goes into public domain is pretty damn long, so I don't think so.

Kringas
#11re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:04am

Has Williams been dead long enough that they're all in the public domain?

No.

I think there should be a RAISIN IN THE SUN revival with an all-white cast. Who's with me?

I'm sure you're just being deliberately obtuse, but why don't you explain why you think an all white Raisin is appropriate if that's something you're in favor of?

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey
Updated On: 1/4/07 at 11:04 AM

Gothampc
#12re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:07am

I'd like to see John Amos attempt Big Daddy (even though he's only six feet).

I wonder if they will go with Brian Stokes Mitchell as Brick or try for a bigger name. My guess is they are shopping it to Denzel. If I were the manager of Jamie Foxx, I would be trying to sell him to play Brick.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#13re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:12am

I'm an obtuse man, so I'll try to be oblique. Kringas, I was being facetious (obviously). This thread made me think of the "Dreams On The Rocks" episode from STRANGERS WITH CANDY.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

myManCape Profile Photo
myManCape
#14re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:24am

Anyone else think that 3 years since the last revival isnt enough time?

"Have they come yet?"

luvtheEmcee
#15re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:26am

Well, Les Mis got away with it. May that not catch on.

Updated On: 1/4/07 at 11:26 AM

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#16re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:27am

Well I've always wanted to play Walter so yeah lets do an all white Rasin.

To be honest and serious an all white Rasin makes about as much sense as an all black Cat. I really can't see how they are going to do this without having to rewrite a major chunk of it. So many historical inaccuracies. Are we just supposed to turn a blind eye to the fact that they are a rich, land owning black family in the south? Would Brick have even been allowed on the same football field as the rest, let alone be in the position he was. Will the gay rumors be interracial as well. I really just cannot see this working.

I'm all for colorblind casting but this is a tad rediculous, kinda like an all white Fences.

What makes this even funnier is that no more than 2 days ago my girlfriend and I were discussing how Cat was something that could never be done in this style, much like an all white Rasin or casting a black Mama Rose.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#17re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:36am

So, the only black people in the south during the 1950's were po' negros who couldn't have possibly inherited and built up the plantation left by those 'old sisters' Jack Straw and Peter Ochello?

This is not the first all-black CAT nor is it historically innacurate.

And considering Brick is only 26 in the show (or thereabouts), neither Stokes nor Washington would be appropriate. I mean, sure, black don't crack, but come on! Taye Diggs, on the other hand...

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
Updated On: 1/4/07 at 11:36 AM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#18re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:39am

After seeing Lance Reddick's galvanizing performance in SEVEN GUITARS this past summer, he's at the top of my list for possible Bricks.

And too bad Chandra Wilson is tied up till kingdom come with GREY'S, because she'd be awesome as Mae.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Carl Magnum
#19re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:41am

"So, the only black people in the south during the 1950's were po' negros who couldn't have possibly inherited and built up the plantation left by those 'old sisters' Jack Straw and Peter Ochello? "

The lack of civil rights, voting blocks and a generally racist society would really have made this damn near impossible back then, yes. And there is still the issue of the integrated sports team. I really think they are gonna have to do major rewrites to make this work.

Although I will agree that Taye would be an excellent Brick.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#20re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:44am

"Although I will agree that Taye would be an excellent Brick."

Except for that pesky acting thing.

theatahguy Profile Photo
theatahguy
#21re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:44am

My heart literally stopped for a moment imagining the pure brilliance of Audra, James Earl Jones & Chandra Wilson as Maggie, Big Daddy & Mae. WOW. Just WOW.

timote316
#22re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:45am

If you are saying that they must cast by age, Taye Diggs is too old by ten years. Granted, he certainly doesn't look 37, but still.

It's called suspension of disbelief. There's nothing wrong with a well-off black family in the south during this time in the world of theater (or a black Mama Rose, for that matter).

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#23re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:49am

Well the last time we've had a 26-year-old Brick has been...well...can't come up with it. But it's much easier to buy Taye as someone in his mid-late 20's than it is to buy Stokes or Denzel.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Carl Magnum
#24re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:51am

Tim there is EVERYTHING wrong with a black Mama Rose. That doesn't fall under the catagory of suspension of disbelief, it falls under the catagory of PC-idocy. There is no statement to be made, like the casting of a black Abe Lincoln in an absurd piece. It's historically inaccurate.

Videos