pixeltracker

Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?

Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?

PeachesCat
#1Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?
Posted: 1/6/07 at 9:08am

There are so many shows out there that have never been on Broadway. Am I the only one who thinks doing ANOTHER revival of Grease is just plain silly, especially since it was done recently? You want a revival, when was the last time Godspell was put on Broadway? How about Jesus Christ Superstar? How about Hair (not just the benefit.)

I still say put an original play in that spot.

---------------------------------

check out the best Culture Club forum on the web www.cultureclubforum.com

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#2re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?
Posted: 1/6/07 at 9:18am

I totally agree with you. But, unfortunately, this is being done for a reality show, and I guess they wanted a show that most TV watchers would be familiar with. I'd rather see revivals of the shows you mentioned too, or maybe "Pippin".

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!

Sant
#2re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?
Posted: 1/6/07 at 9:23am

Actually, JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR revival was on Broadway about 6 years ago, with Glenn Carter playing Jesus and Tony Vincent as Judas and Maya Days as Mary Magdalene. It played the Hilton Theatre (which was back then still called The Ford Centre for the Performing Arts).

But I agree about GREASE. There are better and far more interesting shows waiting to be revived! But I don't think the main thing about this revival is the revival itself, but the reality-tv show about the casting! And with GREASE, you don't have to find a performer with a 3 octave range to cast him/her, more ordinary will do.

And in London they are reviving JOSEPH AND... for the zillionth time!!! They've barely gotten the sets of the previous revival out of the New London Theatre and now they are reviving it AGAIN! But it's the reality-show connected to this revival too which is the main thing - not the show.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#3re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?
Posted: 1/6/07 at 9:27am

Because someone figures they'll make money with another revival of "Grease" and in this day and age of wanting endless retreads of the familiar, they are probably right.

I agree that something new and original would be a more exciting choice, but a financially risky one that few producers want to take. As "Grey Gardens" and "Spring Awakening" are proving, the buzz is great but the box office isn't through the roof.

As for a revival of "JCSuperstar" it was revived in 2000, more recent than the last revival of Grease. It flopped. Hmmmmm...

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Yankeefan007
#4re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?
Posted: 1/6/07 at 9:28am

$$$$$$$$$$$

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#5re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?

They're doing it so that a TV Network can bastardize Broadway and make a lot of money along the way.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

PeachesCat
#6re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?

One of my favorite shows of all time was Godspell. I can't remember the last time it was done as a major production.

Pretty stupid for a reality show to be made to pick the new Broadway star for a Broadway show. My mother who lives in Arizona and has no intentions of ever seeing a Broadway show can care less about who is on Broadway. Same with the majority of the United States who will never see a Broadway show or even come to New York!

-------------------------------------------

check out the best Culture Club forum on the web www.cultureclubforum.com

rentdanb
#7re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?
Posted: 1/6/07 at 9:29am

At least they are reviving the 'Really Useful' production which we haven't seen for a good eight years. Bill Kenwrights threadbare production that has just left isn't in the same league.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#8re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?
Posted: 1/6/07 at 9:30am

*Sarcasm Alert*

They might come to New York, and to Broadway, to see "GREASE"

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#9re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?
Posted: 1/6/07 at 9:32am

But theya doin' GREASE at the local Community Centa! I can see it theya fuh 5 bucks!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#10re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?
Posted: 1/6/07 at 9:40am

An I thinks its betta then the broadway!

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#11re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?
Posted: 1/6/07 at 10:31am

You guys are forgetting what this show is aimed at. Grease is EASILY the most recognizable musical in our repertoire - not because of the show, but because of the movie. Hell, they're calling it "You're the One That I Want" and that wasn't even IN the original production -- it came from the movie! This is aimed at all those teenaged girls (the same who keep American Idol afloat, even though eveyrone else has gotten hooked as well) who LOVE the movie but don't know anything else about theater necessarily - and will now go ask their parents to take them to the revival. It's the same idea as Spamalot - hoping to appeal to an audience who wouldn't NORMALLY go to the theater. They're clearly not doing this show for us (true believers) since there aren't nearly enough of us to make it profitable (and the blue-haired lady sect isn't going to be flocking either, most likely).

I'm not sure how I feel about it - on the one hand, it COULD bring more people to the theater, on the other, it feels like it cheapens the whole thing.

Still, I'll be watching...

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#12re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?
Posted: 1/6/07 at 10:35am

Yankeefan, you're close. The actual answer is

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699
Updated On: 1/6/07 at 10:35 AM

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#13re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?
Posted: 1/6/07 at 11:46am

its also a popular show and movie...so tourists will recongnize it

PeachesCat
#14re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?
Posted: 1/6/07 at 2:25pm

I don't think teenage girls who loved the movie are going to shell out over $100 for a ticket! Spamalot had big names in it. People are going to see Tim Curry, Hank Azaria, and David Hyde Pierce. They don't have to be Monty Python fans to want to see the play. Just like people went to she Julia Roberts. Gee. What was the name of that well reviewed play? Can't remember. Just remember. Julia Roberts was in a play so we must see her wherever she is! :)

----------------------------------

Check out the best Culture Club site on the web www.cultureclubforum.com
Updated On: 1/6/07 at 02:25 PM

SarahBeth Profile Photo
SarahBeth
#15re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?
Posted: 1/6/07 at 2:26pm

No but their daddies will.

"I'll show you a laughgasm. I'll gasm all over this stage!"
"Interesting choice"

PeachesCat
#16re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?
Posted: 1/6/07 at 2:28pm

I think their daddies won't want to sit through Grease when you have a Mary Poppins or other show that is for a similar age bracket that the parents would probably enjoy more.

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#17re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?
Posted: 1/6/07 at 2:31pm

i would like them make it more "pg 13" , unlike the movie. but the stage show is different

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#18re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?
Posted: 1/6/07 at 5:11pm

No imagination

Poster Emeritus

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#19re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?
Posted: 1/6/07 at 5:23pm

Basically, they wanted to capitalize on the success of HOW DO YOU SOLVE A PROBLEM LIKE MARIA? in London (à la POP IDOL), and, like everyone else already mentioned, GREASE is a safe bet when it comes to musicals. Most people are already familiar with its music through repeated viewings of the movie. Also, I'm sure they wanted a popular show that included a song that could be used as the title of the program (i.e. "Any Dream Will Do").

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

musicman117 Profile Photo
musicman117
#20re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?
Posted: 1/6/07 at 8:16pm

I agree with Stagemanager2.

I do think money has a lot to with this. How do you Solve a Problem Like Maria? was a huge success in England. But in order for that sort of show to work over in the USA, they needed to pick a show that is not only an American Icon (disagree all you want, but Grease! is one of the most recognizable pieces of Americana to come out of the musical theatre world), but also a show that the audience would know. When people watch shows like American Idol, they are the judge - most people know good singing when they hear it, so in their minds, it qualifies them to decide who stays. Everyone has an idea of what Danny Zuko and Sandra Dumbrowski should be. If they didn't do the show in High School, they know someone who did and i would venture to say that almost everyone has seen the movie.

IMO, if they had done this show with something like Sunday in the Park with George or Hair no one would watch because the majority of the American public not only don't know that show, but they really don't care. I know my parents, who are planning on watching You're the One That I Want, wouldn't watch if it was SITPWG or Hair.

Besides, Grease isn't a popular show because it's crap. It's a good show. Overdone and tired, I'll admit, but it's still a good show. Who knows, people may enjoy the Grease revival so much that they go see other shows and live theatre becaomes a leading source of entertainment again.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#21re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?
Posted: 1/6/07 at 8:21pm

we are now been lumbered with a tv show looking for the cast of grease in the uk as well as one looking for joseph.

I hate reality shows and to start dumbing theatre down this way is an insult.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#22re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?
Posted: 1/6/07 at 8:26pm

God forbid Broadway is brought to the unwashed, eh?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

musicman117 Profile Photo
musicman117
#23re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?
Posted: 1/6/07 at 8:49pm

Very funny, Rath. re: Why are they doing Grease AGAIN?

songanddanceman - Dumbing down theatre? Are you serious? They aren't dumbing down theatre. And who said theatre is so intelligent, anyway? Hairspray, Rent, and even Company don't require you to have an I.Q. of 150 or to be a Rhodes Scholar to understand. in fact, IMO, out of the three acting mediums (Film, TV and theatre)I really think film has the most intellectual art. Think of movies like Requiem for a Dream, Memento, etc. These are smart movies and much more intellignet that anything I have seen in the theatre recently.

I really don't see what everyone's problem with "You're the One That I Want" is. Bottom line: IT'S PUBLICITY FOR BROADWAY. There are many people on this board who plan on making a life in live theatre. With the rising cost of how much it takes to produce and the fact that a lot of people don't want to shell out about $75 for a ticket, Live theatre is not exactly a high grossing industry.

But, what if live theatre became more popular? People would be more willing to pay the money for the experience of sitting in a Broadway theatre and watch the action of the play unfold right in front of their eyes. Our society, which has become so technology dependent, will once again know the magic of theatre. The everyman of America will feel what we "theatre geeks" feel when we sit in that seat, read the playbill, hear that first note of the orchestra, and be captivated until the bows at the end.

Are my hopes for this show WAY too high? Probably. But, why complain about publicity for Broadway, especially since that is our life?