pixeltracker

Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical

Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical

NathanLaneStalker
#1Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 1:24am

"Nine to Five, the developing new musical by songwriter Dolly Parton and librettist Patricia Resnick, will get a private industry reading in Manhattan Jan. 19, Playbill.com has learned.

Joe Mantello (Wicked) will direct a cast led by Tracey Ullman, Alice Ripley and Megan Hilty, with Norm Lewis, Marc Kudisch, Amy Hohn and an ensemble.

Musical direction is by Kevin Stites (The Color Purple, Threepenny Opera, Nine, Fiddler on the Roof, On the Town, Les Miserables).

The new musical based on the 1980 20th Century Fox film is being produced by Robert Greenblatt, president of entertainment at Showtime Networks, Inc.

Dolly Parton's title song for the movie was Oscar-nominated for Best Song. She starred in the film, about three secretaries (including Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin) who seek revenge on their egomaniacal, sexist boss (played by Dabney Coleman, in one of a long line of salty jerks he has played in his career)."

Sorry if this was already posted. I searched and didn't find anything.

I hope to God that Tracey will finally come to broadway in this!!!

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

NathanLaneStalker
#2re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 1:31am

Sorry, forgot this: http://www.playbill.com/news/article/104796.html

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 1:33am

Marc Kudisch has the "chauvinistic boss" niche all to himself, doesn't he? re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical

(Assuming he's playing Mr. Hart.)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Gelfling Profile Photo
Gelfling
#3re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:37am

lol... guess so!

Now that I see the whole cast, I'm wondering if Hilty will really be at ease with the likes of Ripley and Ullman on stage... anyone else thinks she might be a little outdone?

"What book of rules says that theatre exists only within some ugly buildings crowded into one square-mile of New York City? Wherever there's magic and make-believe and an audience, there's theatre..."

NathanLaneStalker
#4re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 4:47am

Well, with Ullman there I think she will be! re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical As you can tell, I'm a huge Tracey Ullman fan!

I don't think Hilty will have a problem with it. After all, she's very very talented.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#5re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 7:42am

Great cast. This could turn out to be really good.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#6re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 8:13am

Tracey Ullmann!! I'm very excited.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#7re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 8:23am

Tracey Ullman! Fabulous!

NLS: Ullman has been on Broadway before. In 1991 she starred in a comedy called THE BIG LOVE. It ran 5 weeks. She also played Kate in THE TAMING OF THE SHREW in Central Park the previous summer.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

blueroses
#8re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 9:49am

Tracey popped up on my iTunes about 15 minutes ago. re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical I am crazy about her!

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#9re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 9:50am

They Don't Know? I love that song.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

NathanLaneStalker
#10re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 9:51am

Thanks for telling me D2 I didn't know she did those...which is weird because I know just about everything she's ever done! haha.

I always thought they should've moved Tracey Ullman: Live and Exposed to broadway....with a new name...haha.

focusingonmoviesmatt Profile Photo
focusingonmoviesmatt
#11re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 10:01am

I know megan is playing the dolly role, but it doesnt say who alice and tracy or playing.

blueroses
#12re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 11:18am

Rath, yes...They Don't Know. I actually owned the VINYL of You Broke My Heart in Seventeen Places! Remember the video with Paul Mc Cartney? It's a great song, and I like her version much better than the original. She sounds fanastic. Tracey is an amazing and multi-talented woman. I'll be the first in line to see her in 9 to 5.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#13re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 11:20am

I definitely remember the video - that's the first time I saw/heard of her. I don't know the original.

focusingonmoviesmatt Profile Photo
focusingonmoviesmatt
#14re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 11:22am

Dosent' "they don't know" play during the credits of tracy takes on. All the different characters she plays sing it.
Updated On: 1/11/07 at 11:22 AM

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#15re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 11:23am

That's correct.

blueroses
#16re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 11:54am

Matt, yes, that's the video. Rath, Kirsty Mc Coll sang the original.

suzycat Profile Photo
suzycat
#17re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 12:21pm

Tracey is such a doll. Did anyone see her knitting book? I was lucky enough to go to an industry "tea" with her for the book and I could not have better things to say about her. She is both hysterical and an excellent knitter!

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#18re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 12:22pm

I am now so excited about this. What great people. Whatever you may think about Dolly Parton, you have to admit she's incredibly hard-working. She wouldn't put something inferior out there with her name just to make money. I think it's going to be great.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#19re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 1:51pm

We know Hilty is in the Dolly role. I'm guessing Ripley is the Fonda part and Ullman is the Tomlin character?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#20re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 3:53pm

That'd make sense. I think Ripley's a bit glam for it, but it's a reading, so I guess that could change. re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical

I wonder who Norm Lewis is. One of the husbands?

They should call Julie Taymor to work on the dream sequences. re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#21re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 3:58pm

i love the song 9 to 5... i sing it all the time
Updated On: 1/11/07 at 03:58 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#22re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 7:02pm

Marc Kudisch is popping up everywhere, that's great, he's one of my favorite male performers.
I also believe Ullman is playing the Lily Tomlin role and Ripley playing the Jane Fonda one. I definitely don't see Ripley in that role, but she might surprise, though this cast might change when the show comes to Broadway.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

TheaterBoy7777 Profile Photo
TheaterBoy7777
#23re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 8:32pm

Im so excited for Alice Ripley I really hope they bring her back to Broadway after the reading and workshops. Its time for her to come back!!!

#24re: Ullman, Ripley, Hilty, Kudisch, Lewis Will Read Nine to Five Musical
Posted: 1/11/07 at 8:44pm

will there be tickets sold for the reading, or is it industry only?

Videos