pixeltracker

Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman

Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman

FrontRowCenter2 Profile Photo
FrontRowCenter2
#1Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 6:43am

In one of the columns (not Riedel's), it was reported that Cloris Leachman will not be asked to perform in Young Frankenstein on broadway. Mel Brooks decided that they wanted a fresh look without any actors reprising their roles from the movie. The columnist's opinion, however, was that it would be very difficult indeed to fill her shoes.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01122007/gossip/liz/hes_cast_both_ways_liz_liz_smith.htm
Updated On: 1/12/07 at 06:43 AM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#2re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 6:54am

If this turns out to be true, I'm a bit suprised. Someone like Cloris Leachman who is so well known (especially from fans of the movie) would be ideal to have involved.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

FalmouthJ
#2re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 6:54am

I don't think anyone would be disappointed to see Andrea Martin take her place!

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#3re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 7:06am

Andrea Martin is a terrific choice.

How about Harriet Harris?

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

#4re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 7:07am

ANDREA MARTIN!
ANDREA MARTIN!
ANDREA MARTIN!
ANDREA MARTIN!

ANDREA MARTIN moves this UP six notches!!!!

Yankeefan007
#5re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 7:11am

I'm sure it's because they're worried she wouldn't be able to do 8 shows a week.

#6re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 7:24am

Not that i dont ***LOVE*** Cloris Leachman...

but i ****LOOOOOOOOOOOVE**** Andrea Martin!!!

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#7re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 8:10am

Andrea Martin is a glorious idea.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

harris007 Profile Photo
harris007
#8re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 8:15am

i agree with yankee, that can be the only reason,

Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#9re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 8:16am

As far as the columnist's opinion, that can be said about any role in that film, not to mention many others that have made it to Broadway before this.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#10re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 8:17am

"Va-gi-na!"

Did anywhere here see Ms. Martin in ALL OVER THE GUY? She was a riot.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#11re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 8:19am

Please. She's a riot just silently standing in place.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#12re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 8:23am

I saw her in Duane Reade once, shopping and talking on her mobile. She was hilarious just doing that - she was just so animated and alive.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#13re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 8:24am

Well, there you are then!

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#14re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 8:25am

That really is too bad, because having Leachman involved would have really made YF on Broadway sem like something more special than it probably ultimately is. But she is in her 80s now, and I'm sure the physical demands of the show are going to be taxing.

Andrea Martin would definitely be a good choice.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#15re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 8:26am

It's too bad that it was announced in the first place, so that now we're disappointed. We would have been fine never knowing it was a possibility.

ETA: I just read the column - wow, show biz is cruel, eh?

Updated On: 1/12/07 at 08:26 AM

Wanna Be A Foster
#16re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 8:58am

The New York Post is cruel.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#17re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 8:59am

The Post didn't invite Leachman to be a part of the reading and then send a letter saying they didn't want her for the production.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#18re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 9:00am

Jan Maxwell.

Wanna Be A Foster
#19re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 9:02am

No, The Post reported it. Tell me, has The Post proven to be a reliable source in the past? Or have they changed details around and been known to make up their own facts to enhance stories?

-Kad

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#20re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 9:02am

Well, it's Liz Smith's column. So I don't think it's "made up."

Wanna Be A Foster
#21re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 9:04am

It reads like a gossip column from where I stand.

-Kad

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#22re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 9:07am

"Liz Smith" isn't really a gossip columnist. She doesn't scoop - she reports what press agents feed her. If she is reporting it, then chances are Leechman has long known, and is okay with the information that she is not moving forward with the production being made public in this way.
Updated On: 1/12/07 at 09:07 AM

MargoChanning
#23re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 10:10am

I've read Liz Smith since the 70s and I've very rarely known her to be wrong about anything she puts in her column.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#24re: Young Frankenstein Without Cloris Leachman
Posted: 1/12/07 at 10:22am

Liz's column is mostly written by minions these days and is largely comprised of press releases but someone of Cloris Leachman's age and stature may have called Liz personally to kvetch.

Mind is Mantra.