Lestat?

Broadway Baby4
#1Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 6:59pm

Did anyone see it?

I had the pleasure of seeing it the day before it closed, May 28, 2006 and it was AMAZING.

I'll post a review of that day if anyone wants.

But I really want to know if anyone saw it so I can talk to someone about it.

~ Broadway Baby4

RIP Beauty and the Beast 1994 - 2007 RIP Lestat 04/25/2006 - 05/29/06 You may be gone, but you are NOT forgotten! RIP Jonathan Larson! "Thank You Jonathan Larson!" My FAVORITE Broadway Actors who I LOVE (cause their AWESOME): Josh Strickland, Aaron Lazar, David Ayers, Sebastian Arcelus and Hugh Panaro

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 7:04pm

Did anyone see it?

Goodness, I dunno, all the posts about Lestat that come up on the search feature might be making it up, and maybe no one ever saw it.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Yankeefan007
#2re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 7:11pm

I saw it twice....contomplated walking out the first time and went back to see it with a friend (I lost a bet about how long it would take for the show to close). Needless to say, I enjoyed it a lot more the 2nd time....go in expecting nothing, you're not disappointed when you get nothing back.

It was a show that ultimately suffered from poor everything-that-counts. Visually almost-stunning, the show was banking on Anne Rice's name along with the John/Taupin credo to sell the show. However, Rice's spirit was lost in Woolverton's book (the extreme homoerotic nature of the show even turned the gay audiences off), John/Taupin's score was boring (though his demo versions are significantly better than the Broadway versions), and Roth's direction was messy.

Fenchurch
#3re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 7:21pm

I saw it, shortly after it opened. After all, I live right behind the theater. I saw them moving in huge bats and a ships and junk.

And I had read the Rice vampire books, I really enjoyed Queen of the Damned, was disappointed in the film version but was optimistic about this.

Actually, I really enjoyed the music, I thought it was well crafted for a pop score.
I especially enjoyed the actor and the character of Claudia and Lestat's mother.

However, I thought the book lacked a direction. They could have centered around Louis and Lestat, but it should have ended with the burning of the Theater of the Vampires.

Or, they should have gone spectacular and gone for the story in Queen of the Damned, with Akasha and Enkil and the twins, it would have made for a huge evening, but at least it would have been dramatic.

But the music was good, the actors were good, the sets were good, it just meandered, unfortunately.

*waiting for all the posts that declare "Well, Fenchurch like Lestat, so you can dimiss him now"*

"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." -Keen on Kean
"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." - muscle23ftl
Updated On: 1/20/07 at 07:21 PM

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#4re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 7:37pm

"I had the pleasure of seeing it the day before it closed, May 28, 2006 and it was AMAZING"

I don't think "pleasure" is the word to use in this instance...

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#5re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 7:42pm

I beg to differ

It was a pleasure

Poster Emeritus

being.jeremiah
#6re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 7:44pm

I have the same "the first time, I hated it; then I saw it and appreciated it somehow" outlook like Yankeefan007.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#7re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 7:48pm

I saw it but the lead girl cussed in an interview and they stole everything from Rent! It was so bad it makes me so happy to go to Mary Poppins instead. Ashley Brown is the bestest ever.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Broadway Baby4
#8re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 7:53pm

Here's my take on it:

I saw Lestat the day before it closed, a very sad day. I went to see Hugh Panaro as Lestat and when I got there they had a sign that said "The Role of Lestat will Be Played By Drew Sarich." I was heart broken but I decided I was there to see Jim Stanek and Allison Fischer too so I stayed.

I went to the gift stand and bought a tee shirt, poster, picture program, the book (yes the one w/Interview, Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned.). How would have guessed that standing right next to me the whole time I was there was CAROLEE CARMELLO!!!!!!!!!!

She bumped into me. She apoliged and my mom asked her if she was Carolee. Of course she said yes. I then told her that I was a big fan and she influnced my singing so much. She told me that she was so happy. I told her break a leg as she went backstage and she thanked me my name!!!!! My IDOL thanked me by name!

Anywho, The show!

I sat in the second row on the isle (amazing seat! I saw it when they did You're the one that I want there and I screamed "There's my Lestat Seat!) and I LOVED the curtain!

The show begin with Drew onstage alone and I instantly LOVED his voice. When they had Carolee on she blew me away! I LOVED her Gabrielle. I really felt like she was Lestat's mother and she wanted her son to live his life.

When Roderick Hill came out I DIDN'T like him. He was anoying.

Anywho, Michael Genet was the perfect Marius. I really felt like I should respect him.

Jim Stanek. What's there to say about him? NOTHING!!!!!! He didn't preform. His understudy was quite good, though.

Allison Fischer was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I LOVED her Claudia it was awesome!

STAGEDOOR: I met ALMOST everyone who performed that day (except Nikki Rene Daniels who walked away and didn't sign anything). I had made collages for Allison, Jim and Hugh. Since the guys weren't there I gave them all to Allison for her to give to them. She said she would. She LOVED hers and signed my poster: "Thanks for your kindness and support!"

Carolee said "Hello again." and talked to me for awhile. Signing my poster "Best of luck on Broadway!"

Drew is a sweetheart! He stayed and talked to me for like ten minutes about how I liked the show compared to Interview the Movie.

I miss it sooooooo much. I bought a Lestat 1st draft script off e-bay and I treasure it.

Oh and LizzieCurry and Broadwaybelter, In the words of Haru from The Cat Returns "That's just mean".

Also: Mr Roxy! You ROCK!

RIP Beauty and the Beast 1994 - 2007 RIP Lestat 04/25/2006 - 05/29/06 You may be gone, but you are NOT forgotten! RIP Jonathan Larson! "Thank You Jonathan Larson!" My FAVORITE Broadway Actors who I LOVE (cause their AWESOME): Josh Strickland, Aaron Lazar, David Ayers, Sebastian Arcelus and Hugh Panaro
Updated On: 1/20/07 at 07:53 PM

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#9re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 7:54pm

"I saw it but the lead girl cussed in an interview and they stole everything from Rent!"

Seriosuly, LOL re: Lestat?

LizzieCurry
#10re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 8:01pm

Anywho, Michael Genet was the perfect Marius. I really felt like I should respect him.

Oh my god.

jimnysf
#11re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 8:11pm

It sucked. It was the worst crap ever presented on a professional stage! EVER! The worst of all time. A horrible script, awful so-called "music". A real snoozer. It was DREADFUL! May it stay buried forever.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#12re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 8:12pm

I saw the same performance, Stanek was out. It has Chris Peluso in the role.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/
Updated On: 1/20/07 at 08:12 PM

Broadway Baby4
#13re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 8:15pm

Yes, Chris Peluso was Louis. How did you get Drew audio? I've been wanting to hear him again for a long time.

In the words of Sharpay Evans from HSM "EVERYBODY QUIET!!!!!"

Look, everyone either Likes Lestat or Hates it. Don't bash people who like it! Okay? Let's all just get along.

LizzieCurry
#14re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 8:18pm

In my Drew Sarich audio, Stanek was out. It has Chris Peluso in the role.

La la la la DISCRETION CAKES!!!!

Broadway Baby4
#15re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 8:24pm

*rolls eyes*

jimnysf
#16re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 8:27pm

**rolls eyes and becomes physically ill whenever the awful, dreadful crap known as "Lestat" is remembered**

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

Broadway Baby4
#17re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 8:28pm

*gives jimnysf a swift kick in the pants* Sorry I'm too tired to deal with all this Lestat hating!

Read what a wrote before!

"In the words of Sharpay Evans from HSM "EVERYBODY QUIET!!!!!"

Look, everyone either Likes Lestat or Hates it. Don't bash people who like it! Okay? Let's all just get along."

Updated On: 1/20/07 at 08:28 PM

Becoz_i_knew_you21
#18re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 8:30pm

"In the words of Sharpay Evans from HSM "EVERYBODY QUIET!!!!!"

You just quote High School Musical...
Updated On: 1/20/07 at 08:30 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#19re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 8:32pm

Well, hate to say it, but you are going to deal with a LOT of Lestat hate on this board. It was almost universally disliked.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

LizzieCurry
#20re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 8:33pm

Sorry I'm too tired to deal with all this Lestat hating!

Hey, that reminds me of the time I went into a mosque and tried to sell bacon bits.

Becoz_i_knew_you21
#21re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 8:35pm

BroadwayBaby do you know how long Lestat ran? I can't pass a judgment on it because I haven't seen it or heard any music but, it is pretty much universally disliked here.

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#22re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 8:36pm

The show's been dead and gone for 8 months now, not sure why another thread on it had to be started. Anyway, yeah I saw it. I only went because of the actors. The actors were great but they deserved much better, the direction & sets were horrible, the music was so-so.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"
Updated On: 1/20/07 at 08:36 PM

LizzieCurry
#23re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 8:37pm

not sure why another thread on it had to be started.

Because the search feature is poor and unwanted.

Broadway Baby4
#24re: Lestat?
Posted: 1/20/07 at 8:39pm

A little over a month on Broadway. re: Lestat?

:P

I can't deal with all of this. LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*cries* *goes off to watch Fantasmic on Youtube* Yes, I'm a Disney Fangirl. A MAJOR one. I've been to Disney World 13 times. Go ahead, Bash me about that too! That's all you guys like to do, pick on me, right?

*cries*

The people on my old Wicked forum had more respect for people. Why don't you guys have any respect for what others like and don't like.

It's like you guys don't like Lestat, but prob. Like Chaperone right? I HATE Chaperone but I won't pick on you guys for that.

Updated On: 1/20/07 at 08:39 PM