Jersey Boys Review 02/21/07

#1Jersey Boys Review 02/21/07
Posted: 2/22/07 at 1:01pm

Yesterday I attended the evening performance of Jersey Boys; Orchestra Left Row F Seats 9 and 11. I went with my mom who is in her 50s and she LOVED IT! Being only 15, I was probably THE youngest person in the August Wilson Theater along with some other kids. I felt completely out of place considering EVERYONE AROUND ME was in their 50s or older. The crowd loved it, however, I thought it was okay. I waited for these tickets since July 1, and was really expecting so much more. Don't get me wrong the singing was phenominal and I liked how they incorporated the songs into the plot, but I felt something was missing. I definetly thought it was GOOD, but it wasn't AMAZING which I was hoping for.
The GREAT CAST:
My NUMBER ONE FAVORITE is of course John Lloyd Young. All I can say is WOW! I have never witnessed a standing ovation during a musical but let me tell you last night after Sherry, Big Girls Dont Cry, and Walk Like A Man the crowd WENT CRAZY! They were clapping for a good 5 minutes, and so was I because he was amazing. It looked like he was in pain while he was singing as my mom said,but I'm sure he was in pain trying to hit those high notes.
Another standout was Christian Hoff. He was great- from the Jersey accent to the singing to the comic relief he was great!
Daniel Reicharg was on for Bob and he did a good job as did J. Robert Spencer.

All in all a good show, with something missing in my opinion. I loved the second act but thought the first was just boring and dragged on forever. I would definetly give it a second try.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#2re: Jersey Boys Review 02/21/07
Posted: 2/22/07 at 1:06pm

nice review.
I LOVED it.
I'm also older than you, I'm 18.
I don't know if that makes a difference
Maybe it depends on how you look at it.

JLY, Christian Hoff, Daniel Reichard and J. Robert Spencer are AMAZING.
:-]

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 2/22/07 at 01:06 PM

#2re: Jersey Boys Review 02/21/07
Posted: 2/22/07 at 1:37pm

true.

onelastrefrain2 Profile Photo
onelastrefrain2
#3re: Jersey Boys Review 02/21/07
Posted: 2/22/07 at 1:41pm

I'm 18 and I think the show is pretty much amazing. Glad you thought it was at least 'good'.

#4re: Jersey Boys Review 02/21/07
Posted: 2/22/07 at 2:01pm

yeah; i dont know i was expecting so much more. it seemed like just a concert to me.

Broadwayfan120791 Profile Photo
Broadwayfan120791
#5re: Jersey Boys Review 02/21/07
Posted: 2/22/07 at 2:01pm

I'm 15 also...I think the show is Amazing down-right and have seen it 3 times already; more to come lol.

but like onelastrefrain said- at least you thought it was good

and you are right about the cast though..they are amazing, my favorite show & broadway cast by far. re: Jersey Boys Review 02/21/07

Come on babe we're gonna paint the town...and all that jazz...

#6re: Jersey Boys Review 02/21/07
Posted: 2/22/07 at 2:27pm

whats so amazing about it? what makes it a stand out other than the cast?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#7re: Jersey Boys Review 02/21/07
Posted: 2/22/07 at 2:31pm

All in all a good show, with something missing in my opinion. I loved the second act but thought the first was just boring and dragged on forever. I would definetly give it a second try.

Funny, I thought Act 1 was stronger and better-paced than Act 2. I didn't think it dragged, though.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

#8re: Jersey Boys Review 02/21/07
Posted: 2/22/07 at 3:07pm

well everyone has different opinions.

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#9re: Jersey Boys Review 02/21/07
Posted: 2/22/07 at 4:01pm

"Daniel Reicharg was on for Bob and he did a good job"

Isn't Daniel ReicharD usually on as Bob?

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

worrell4077
#10re: Jersey Boys Review 02/21/07
Posted: 2/22/07 at 4:16pm

"Daniel Reicharg was on for Bob and he did a good job"

Isn't Daniel ReicharD usually on as Bob? "

Daniel Reichard isn't an understudy for Bob, he is the regular lead for Bob. Bob's understudies are Dominic Nolfi, Matthew Scott, and Steve Gouveia(it says it in the playbill).

I'm 19 and my sister is 13 and we both love Jersey Boys. We've seen it 6 times and we're going back to try for her birthday. I love it for the story, songs, and performances. She loves it for those reasons and she and basically any other young teenage girl who has seen Jersey Boys loves it for the guys, for JLY, Daniel, Christian, and Bobby.

"whats so amazing about it? what makes it a stand out other than the cast?"

I think it stands out because it's a true story and it's a story that everyone can relate to or has pieces that everyone can relate to. It's one of the few jukebox musicals that is about the band and works the bands songs into the story or just flat out includes them; it's not just a story built around Frankie Valli songs, but like you said everyone has their own opinions and I guess to you Jersey Boys didn't stand out as well as something else.

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#11re: Jersey Boys Review 02/21/07
Posted: 2/22/07 at 5:28pm

I meant that sarcastically. The original poster made it seem like Daniel Reichard was an understudy or something.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

lucydee Profile Photo
lucydee
#12re: Jersey Boys Review 02/21/07
Posted: 2/25/07 at 5:25pm

KEEP SHARING THE LOVE...
JERSEY BOYS IS THE BEST!

Feel the Love - Les Mis

bway123
#13re: Jersey Boys Review 02/21/07
Posted: 2/25/07 at 6:10pm

Saw the show when it opened with the orig. cast. Great show and good time. Would suggest to anyone on a trip to NY. A must see if visiting the Big Apple. Might I offer some insight? Get there early and go for the Student Rush. They say seats are partial view, but they are fabulous.... If you cant get them. Spend the cash....Its worth it

Videos