cigarette trick in Damn Yankees

jj8807
#1cigarette trick in Damn Yankees
Posted: 3/6/07 at 4:48pm

My school is doing Damn Yankees and the show calls for a lighted cigarette to suddenly appear in the devil's hand twice in the show which he goes on to smoke. I was wondering if any of you could give me advice as to how we could replicate this or point me to a site where we could purchase something that would replicate it. Thanks!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2re: cigarette trick in Damn Yankees
Posted: 3/6/07 at 5:11pm

I can only find tricks that make the cigarette disappear not appear...

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#2re: cigarette trick in Damn Yankees
Posted: 3/6/07 at 5:24pm

sorry no suggestions here, BUT my school is doing Damn Yankees too! HURRAH
sorry hyper

Stitch_Stalker Profile Photo
Stitch_Stalker
#3re: cigarette trick in Damn Yankees
Posted: 3/6/07 at 5:29pm

When my school did Yankees, we didn't have the cigarrette "appear"... Rather, the guy playing the Devil had one of those handheld "sparkers" that you can hide in your palm that makes sparks which, if you have the right kind of material, will cause the material to ignite and make a blaze of (harmless) fire shoot up (you'd probably have to research exactly what the trick is). But it was definately more effective and wicked cool.

CATSNYrevival
#4re: cigarette trick in Damn Yankees
Posted: 3/6/07 at 5:36pm

those are called flash sheets...

clarkstallings
#5re: cigarette trick in Damn Yankees
Posted: 3/6/07 at 8:04pm

Check your PM's and scroll down to the bottom of the page of the link I sent you.

CATSNYrevival
#6re: cigarette trick in Damn Yankees
Posted: 3/6/07 at 8:06pm

hey, why can't we all see it? I looked everywhere to try to help. PM me too...

clarkstallings
#7re: cigarette trick in Damn Yankees
Posted: 3/6/07 at 8:36pm

Essentially, one can build a simple switch device that applies electric current to a nichrome ignitor that'll light just about anything. A commercially available version of what I'm talking about is available at the bottom of this page http://www.theatrefx.com/store/commerce.cgi?product=handheld_devices

It would be a good idea to consult with the pyro laws in your state and munincipality and have the firemarshall inspect the effect before you use it to avoid possible legal problems. Jurisdictions really don't play around with pyro laws ever since the night club fire a few years ago. If y'all have any other tech questions, feel free to PM me. This is my area of expertise. Unfortunately, I think it is one of the most glossed over areas of stage craft in university coursework.

javertjunky Profile Photo
javertjunky
#8re: cigarette trick in Damn Yankees
Posted: 3/6/07 at 8:44pm

If you knew the show you wouldn't be calling him the devil but by his official name...Applegate!

"Men like me can never change, Men like you can never change. No, 24601. My duty's to the law - you have no Rights. Come with me 24601. Now the wheel has turned around, Jean Valjean is nothing now. Dare you talk to me of crime, And the price you had to pay. Every man is born in sin. Every man must choose his way. You know nothing of Javert. I was born inside a jail, I was born with s like you, I am from the gutter too!" ~Javert

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#9re: cigarette trick in Damn Yankees
Posted: 3/6/07 at 10:18pm

Our Applegate when we at my school did DAMN YANKEES, had those cigarettes with the baby powder in them, and he made it appear out of no where. It was cute.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Videos