The Sound of Music- London Palladuium Cast Album 2006

neddyfrank2
#1The Sound of Music- London Palladuium Cast Album 2006
Posted: 3/12/07 at 11:45pm

Is it any good? Should I buy it?

#2The Sound of Music- London Palladuium Cast Album 2006
Posted: 3/12/07 at 11:53pm

Never noticed, but Connie has a less operatic voice than I would think. Still good. Got some songs off iTunes.

neddyfrank2
#2The Sound of Music- London Palladuium Cast Album 2006
Posted: 3/13/07 at 12:47am

Anybody else?

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#3The Sound of Music- London Palladuium Cast Album 2006
Posted: 3/13/07 at 7:07am

i got it but i have to confess she is trying WAY too hard to be Julie Andrews. some of the kids are fun on it but i'm not too impressed with anyone else

#4The Sound of Music- London Palladuium Cast Album 2006
Posted: 3/15/07 at 9:51am

I think the person playing the Captain has a really nice voice. On another matter, was there ever a 2-CD release of this production? Somehow I thought it was 2-CDs but the one I bought was only a single.

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#5The Sound of Music- London Palladuium Cast Album 2006
Posted: 3/15/07 at 11:28am

I saw the show last weekend, and I REALLY enjoyed it, so the cast recording brings back joyous memories for me (although I saw Margaret Preece as the Mother Abbess, and listening to Lesley Garrett on the CD, I am very glad to have seen Ms Preece - her voice is the first operatic/soprano type ever to have made me cry).

I might be wrong, but this recording might be the first one to have recorded a stage version of some of the songs from the film, because I read that ALW incorporated some of the film score into his new production.

To top it all off, you can hear Lauren Ward (who played Violet in original production, and is on the recording of that show). I love her light and distinctive voice, and she is EXCELLENT as the Baroness. I met her at the stage door (I must have been one of the first people to have asked for her autograph after that show, most people are there to see Connie - she was REALLY nice).

I'd say get it, because it features lovely Connnie, some new material and Lauren Ward, all in a very well-produced recording.

"Jane, I've been dealt a blow - I've been dealt a blow, Jane."

#6The Sound of Music- London Palladuium Cast Album 2006
Posted: 3/15/07 at 11:35am

The Broadway revival starring Rebecca Luker incorporated the new songs written for the film and they worked quite well, as did restoring the Max and Elsa's songs that were not used in the film.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#7The Sound of Music- London Palladuium Cast Album 2006
Posted: 3/15/07 at 11:58am

Yup. The recent Broadway Revival was basically THE SOUND OF MUSIC: Deluxe Edition!

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#8The Sound of Music- London Palladuium Cast Album 2006
Posted: 3/15/07 at 12:14pm

has anyone listened to the Palladuium Cast AND the recent Broadway revival cast? i wanna know if i should go ahead & get the Broadway revival cast even though i was disappointed with the London cast? i do have the 2 CD set of The Sound of Music Movie Soundtrack.

skingdom
#9The Sound of Music- London Palladuium Cast Album 2006
Posted: 3/15/07 at 5:38pm

the only version of this i want to see or hear is the movie.

all the rest should be gone becuase the best has been captured and will not be surpassed.

Skingdom out.

gcal
#10The Sound of Music- London Palladuium Cast Album 2006
Posted: 3/15/07 at 6:11pm

saw the london production, saw the 98 revival... own both cds.
The London production was atrocious-- lacking heart in EVERY aspect. Fisher, though she has a pleasant voice, didn't get Maria's heart-- she can't act it. The children were annoying and just trying to play "cute"- nothing special about them. ALW was clearly more concerned with the spectacle and commercial aspects of the production-- the set is HUGE and overblown-- the show had to stop in the middle of Act I the night I went because the trees got stuck or some random crap like that. The orchestrations on the 98 Revival are much better than London. In America More time and attention were also given to Max and Elsa (particularly after their roles were cut significantly for the movie) and it seemed that the 98 revival really wanted to incorporate them into it. London, however, seemed to just speed through their scenes and songs as quickly as possible. The staging of this production and "the choreography" are a mess. But London's eating it up...

Additionally, any Maria with a British accent is going to be compared to Julie Andrews and she's going to lose. everytime. Waste of money.

*EDIT* I'm listening to London now-- Connie Fisher can't get the words out fast enough and sounds handicapped. Updated On: 3/15/07 at 06:11 PM

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#11The Sound of Music- London Palladuium Cast Album 2006
Posted: 3/15/07 at 6:36pm

I haven't heard the other recordings so really can't comment on how the London production compares to others. It's very different to the movie, and obviously Julie Andrews is in a league of her own in the movie recording.

I didn't know the movie's songs had been used before. The intro ALW writes in the programme gives the impression they're new to the stage. Whatevs, I like the new cast.

#12The Sound of Music- London Palladuium Cast Album 2006
Posted: 3/15/07 at 6:47pm

"I didn't know the movie's songs had been used before. The intro ALW writes in the programme gives the impression they're new to the stage. Whatevs, I like the new cast.'

Further proof of, shall I say, ALW's unawareness

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#13The Sound of Music- London Palladuium Cast Album 2006
Posted: 3/15/07 at 7:19pm

I'm glad that you found an opportunity to disparage ALW.

neddyfrank2
#14The Sound of Music- London Palladuium Cast Album 2006
Posted: 3/15/07 at 7:22pm

has anyone listened to the Palladuium Cast AND the recent Broadway revival cast? i wanna know if i should go ahead & get the Broadway revival cast even though i was disappointed with the London cast? i do have the 2 CD set of The Sound of Music Movie Soundtrack.

The Broadway Revival is my favorite recording of the show.

vmlinnie
#15The Sound of Music- London Palladium Cast Album 2006
Posted: 3/15/07 at 7:29pm

The Palladium recording is too engineered for my tastes. I have it. It's obvious they just recorded the kids each singing their notes once for 'Do-Re-Mi' and just repeated them in order on the computers. Connie's good, but not brilliant. She's good. Capable of pulling off a performance that will hold it together. But I wouldn 't describe it as one of my favourite albums overall by any means. I never really liked a couple of the numbers anyway, like the Preludium, Now way to stop it, etc. Just a bit off, that's all.

The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller

TBone Profile Photo
TBone
#16The Sound of Music- London Palladium Cast Album 2006
Posted: 3/15/07 at 7:47pm

I have to agree with neddyfrank2, I love the Broadway Revival recording, and listen to it quite a bit. So go for it - it is DEFINITELY worth it. The Sound of Music- London Palladium Cast Album 2006

husk_charmer
#17The Sound of Music- London Palladium Cast Album 2006
Posted: 3/15/07 at 10:36pm

Can't compete with either Mary Martin or Julie Andrews.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Videos