News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Lost In Yonkers

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#1Lost In Yonkers
Posted: 3/21/07 at 12:02pm

Heres the story:

I was offered the part of Jay-I got the script-read it all-and dont feel like its a great story line. So I figured Id go to the first practice and see what it was like. I just dont feel like my heart is it.

I was offered the part which i assume means i was there last choice since i didnt even audition i went on a refrence.

Should i quit or stick it out.

HELP!!?

sondhead
#2re: Lost In Yonkers
Posted: 3/21/07 at 12:04pm

If you're not going to do it, don't go to the first rehearsal. That's not very nice.

However, I've been cast in things that I really didn't want to do (educational situations) and they've almost always turned out to be educational experiences, so keep that in mind.

theatahguy Profile Photo
theatahguy
#2re: Lost In Yonkers
Posted: 3/21/07 at 12:06pm

If your heart is not at all in it, there's no use sticking around, but Lost in Yonkers is a terrific play and Jay is a pretty great role for someone in that age group. I'd say stick with it--you'll find the beauty in the piece.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#3re: Lost In Yonkers
Posted: 3/21/07 at 12:12pm

Definitely stick it out -- just the chance to do something you don't want to do is a great challenge. You might just love it and remember...it's a learning experience. Never say "no" to anything. Every experience is a learning one -- even the ones you don't want to do at the start.

ucjrdude902
#4re: Lost In Yonkers
Posted: 3/21/07 at 1:03pm

we'll--i just dont feel like the story line is that great. it kinda rides low the whole time-for lack of better wording.

and the show doesnt go on till may so they have time to find a replacement....

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#5re: Lost In Yonkers
Posted: 3/21/07 at 1:19pm

You may not like the story line and not feel it in your heart, and if you drop out, that's your choice. However, keep in mind that this is the script which won Neil Simon the Pulitzer Prize. It may not be his best work, frankly I prefer The Odd Couple, The Good Doctor and Biloxi Blues, but the Pulitzer Prize means prestige.

One more little seed to plant: This is the first Neil Simon play chosen to be produced by the Guthrie Theatre, which says a lot. Neil Simon is the most commercially successful playwright in American Theatre History, and if the Guthrie chooses Lost in Yonkers, that says a lot.

This title could look good on your vitae. Good luck with your choice.

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan

BroadwayBound5 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound5
#6re: Lost In Yonkers
Posted: 3/21/07 at 1:19pm

I say, you've auditioned for it, and it sounds like if they are already expecting you at rehearsals, you had accepted the role. Once you've done that, you've given your word to them that you would commit to this role. Be very careful with a situation like this, they may not be able to trust you after this, and you never know when that word is going to get out and hurt you even more in the end. You'll find something in the play, a good actor always does.

em22
#7re: Lost In Yonkers
Posted: 3/21/07 at 1:20pm

ucjrdude902 ...

Having had the chance to play Jay in a wonderful production a bunch of years ago I caution you to reread it. This is a wonderful, heartwarming play that won the Pulitzer Prize for drama.

It is an incredibly touching and human piece. The role is a great one -- lots of laughs, and a few good opportunities for some lovely drama.

I wouldn't discard it so quickly...

willact4food Profile Photo
willact4food
#8re: Lost In Yonkers
Posted: 3/21/07 at 1:28pm

I played Jay a while back, and it was such a rewarding and incredible learning experience. I suggest you re-read it. It's such a natural acting-type of part, and not to mention a Pulitzer Prize winning play.

But if you're not into it, give it to someone who actually wants the part.

ucjrdude902
#9re: Lost In Yonkers
Posted: 3/21/07 at 1:41pm

Also, this is another reason that I;m not sure if i want to do it is...I just done with a 2 month run of HSM and to be quite honest im exhausted and didnt realize that Jay would be so much....Lord am i Confused?!

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#10re: Lost In Yonkers
Posted: 3/21/07 at 2:02pm

If you don't want to do the show, don't do it. But respectfully decline the offer now - don't start rehearsals with the intention to quit later and leave the production staff scrambling to find a replacement. Directors remember these things when they cast future productions.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#11re: Lost In Yonkers
Posted: 3/21/07 at 2:08pm

Drop out now - there will be another actor who will appreciate the beauty of this play.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

ucjrdude902
#12re: Lost In Yonkers
Posted: 3/21/07 at 2:17pm

i think ive come to the conclusion that this a "blessing in disguise".

i can get LOTS of publicity from this.

kooky
#13re: Lost In Yonkers
Posted: 3/21/07 at 8:27pm

GROW UP, don't do this show --- I am very sure there is someone out there who would be able to do this part, and be very happy and willing to work at their craft.
Let someone who is able to love this part - - DO IT !

Videos